Happy Songkran as much of the nation DRIVES DRUNK

webfact

10 hours ago, off road pat said:

24,866 people nationwide ware riding motorcycles drunk !!!!!

That was just who they caught. 

Say one in twenty got caught. So half a million out there.

And only 50 died that day on motorcycles. 

25,000 caught, 475,000 got home with no dramas.

Seems like the vast majority can handle their grog. 

13 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Not to be confused with pass the Buckfast .. ( for non Britons Buckfast is a fortified wine distilled by Monks in a Blighty Monastery ) .. 

Pass the Buckfast = hand over your money very quickly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Collins said:

Where would they store 100,000 vehicles?

I rather suspect, as someone has already mentioned, that this is a mistranslation. Perhaps 100,000 were stopped and tested, of them 2000 were sufficiently drunk to merit their vehicles being confiscated?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

For once the hyperbole is justified. 

That really is a staggering statistic...

Agreed. Is there a will to continue enforcement?

Will the "punishments" work effectively in reducing road trauma into the future? I have my doubts unfortunately.

It is bad enough that private individuals are driving/riding drunk but for public system drivers to be driving drunk/drugged is ludicrous! They should be banned for a long period of time and if caught again, JAILED! No ifs no buts. Draconian maybe, but a complete change of mindset needs to take place (backed up with public education sessions) in order to reduce road trauma. The safest road engineering, in the world, alone will not work.

Just my two bobs worth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Agreed. Is there a will to continue enforcement?

Will the "punishments" work effectively in reducing road trauma into the future? I have my doubts unfortunately.

It is bad enough that private individuals are driving/riding drunk but for public system drivers to be driving drunk/drugged is ludicrous! They should be banned for a long period of time and if caught again, JAILED! No ifs no buts. Draconian maybe, but a complete change of mindset needs to take place (backed up with public education sessions) in order to reduce road trauma. The safest road engineering, in the world, alone will not work.

Just my two bobs worth.

Not draconian enough. I’d gaol them, confiscate and then crush their cars/bikes, then send them the bill for the crushing and safe disposal of remains. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, harriott456 said:

all the hypocritical TV members up in their judgemental high perches....never driven dunk while being here i guess..ever!

Slightly over the top there. And for your information I have never had an alcoholic drink then driven here as the roads are to damn dangerous to even entertain that idea!!! Rarely drink which helps.  

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not draconian enough. I’d gaol them, confiscate and then crush their cars/bikes, then send them the bill for the crushing and safe disposal of remains. 

I now see a picture in my mind of car/bike and driver/rider being crushed - now THAT is draconian! And the driver/rider will never be a recidivist. ????

(I know that is not what you meant).

Nah, not going to happen but I just had a comical momentary thought.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, worrab said:

Then the licences returned the next day as well as the vehicles. And as for the prosecutions...….maybe a slapped wrist and do not do it again!! Some deterrent to DUI...……….not!!  

My wife's cousin was stopped - drunk, no helmet - motorcycle confiscated, 5000 baht fine (or a month in jail if failure to pay.)

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 12:32 PM, ZeVonderBearz said:

Start running a good, safe and reliable 24 hour local bus service in all cities and bigger towns and the drink driving numbers will fall. People have no real alternative to get home after a night other than driving. This is all the failure of authorities.

And just where will THEY put all the bus stops??

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, Prairieboy said:

My wife's cousin was stopped - drunk, no helmet - motorcycle confiscated, 5000 baht fine (or a month in jail if failure to pay.)

Confiscated for how long? Still not enough to stop it happening again and again and again...……...