EU's Tusk says "dream" of Brexit U-turn not dead

webfact

EU's Tusk says "dream" of Brexit U-turn not dead

2019-04-16T081126Z_1_LYNXNPEF3F0FY_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-TUSK-JUNCKER.JPG

European Council President Donald Tusk delivers a speech during a debate on the outcome of the latest European Summit on Brexit, at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, April 16, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler

STRASBOURG (Reuters) - EU summit chair Donald Tusk on Tuesday called on Tuesday for the "dream" that Britain might give up on leaving the European Union not to be dismissed and urged politicians not to let exhaustion with Brexit negotiations make for a hasty exit.

Giving an account of last week's summit to the European Parliament in Strasbourg, European Council President Tusk said he was responding to a statement by one national leader who had warned "dreamers" not to think "Brexit could be reversed".

"At this rather difficult moment in our history, we need dreamers and dreams. We cannot give in to fatalism. At least I will not stop dreaming about a better and united Europe," said Tusk, long a vocal proponent of Britain having a chance to stay.

It was not immediately clear which leader he was referring to, but French President Emmanuel Macron stood out at the summit for pushing for Britain to be given only a few weeks more to decide whether to leave on negotiated terms or without them. The summit compromised by giving Britain another six months.

Tusk said: "I know that, on both sides of the Channel, everyone, including myself, is exhausted with Brexit, which is completely understandable. However, this is not an excuse to say: "let's get it over with", just because we're tired."

(Reporting by Alastair Macdonald and Alissa de Carbonnel; Editing by Alastair Macdonald)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-16

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Thailand said:

More and more likely this goes to another referendum.

yes perhaps 

Mays deal 

Or

WTO

We already voted on remain or leave - it needs to be implemented before the same sort of vote is run perhaps in 15-20 years when the EU in its current form is gone and the UK is thriving

34 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

This of course being the guy who believes 17.4m brits should go to hell.

If you're referring to his much-misquoted tweet, he said nothing of the sort.

He said that he was:

wondering what that special place in hell looks like, for those who promoted Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely.

So he was quite clearly not talking about the voters, he was referring to those politicians who were pushing for Brexit without ever having an inkling of a proper plan of how to achieve it. 

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If you're refereeing to his much-misquoted tweet, he said nothing of the sort.

He said that he was:

So he was quite clearly not talking about the voters, he was referring to those politicians who were pushing for Brexit without ever having an inkling of a proper plan of how to achieve it. 

Yeah, project fear never far away with these idiots, we have a plan, its called WTO rules and UK will do very nicely thank you.

39 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

This of course being the guy who believes 17.4m brits should go to hell.

He never said that; it’s just another example of Brexiteers manipulating facts. 

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

We already voted on remain or leave - it needs to be implemented before the same sort of vote is run perhaps in 15-20 years when the EU in its current form is gone and the UK is thriving

No, it doesn’t. 

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

No, it doesn’t. 

in your opinion

the election commission in the UK might think otherwise as would our current government as do 17.4+ million people

you cannot rerun a referendum before the first one is implemented - any simpleton gets it

No, it doesn’t. 

Well that may be your approach to referenda in your corner of the EU. How many have your elites ignored the result of?
It’s jolly well not how do things in the UK you know. I will add that to my list of reasons for leaving the EU.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

in your opinion

the election commission in the UK might think otherwise as would our current government as do 17.4+ million people

you cannot rerun a referendum before the first one is implemented - any simpleton gets it

Of course you can, especially when that referendum was a non-binding opinion poll affected by wide spread desinformation and manipulation which, had it been in fact a binding vote, would have led to “the election commission” declaring it void.

I would assume any simpleton gets that, but even if you have a different opinion, let’s just do what people do when they cannot agree: stick to the laws. 

I find it amazing that after 40 odd years people cannot see where the EU is heading.

It started as a trading block of a few countries and has slowly morphed into a German led political monster now with aspirations towards becoming  a Military Empire - seriously ????

1 minute ago, smedly said:

I find it amazing that after 40 odd years people cannot see where the EU is heading.

It started as a trading block of a few countries and has slowly morphed into a German led political monster now with aspirations towards becoming  a Military Empire - seriously ????

I find it amazing that after 3 years Brexiteers can’t see where Brexit is heading.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

I would assume any simpleton gets that, but even if you have a different opinion, let’s just do what people do when they cannot agree: stick to the laws. 

Our laws say we have to Leave the EU. We’ll stick to them, not yours.

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Well that may be your approach to referenda in your corner of the EU. How many have your elites ignored the result of?
It’s jolly well not how do things in the UK you know. I will add that to my list of reasons for leaving the EU.

My approach to referenda is not having any at all because I believe in the power representative democracy. Even more so seeing what mess the UK is in. 

Now I don’t think “in your corner of the EU” that’s different; it’s only a small minority of Brexiteers who want representative democracy to be overturned and be replaced by opinion polls they can manipulate with their bots and lies and manipulation. But it doesn’t even matter what you or I think about it. It doesn’t change things an iota. 

Your laws also say parliament is sovereign and can change that or hold a referendum or do whatever it wants, whether you like it or not. 

They haven’t changed the Withdraw Act and would not dare to. Adjusting the date tricks won’t work forever. Then we’ll be out No Deal. You lot can pick up the tab.

My approach to referenda is not having any at all because I believe in the power representative democracy. Even more so seeing what mess the UK is in. 

Now I don’t think “in your corner of the EU” that’s different; it’s only a small minority of Brexiteers who want representative democracy to be overturned and be replaced by opinion polls they can manipulate with their bots and lies and manipulation. But it doesn’t even matter what you or I think about it. It doesn’t change things an iota. 

So how many referenda in your corner can you admit to having, not how many Spaced Out would now have liked?
Our representative democracy voted to uphold the result of the Brexit referendum and Leave. They even enacted two pieces of legislation to make it happen. How many more iotas would the Remainers and Johnny Foreigner like to manipulate to usurp our representative democracy’s’ LAWS?

37 minutes ago, Loiner said:

So how many referenda in your corner can you admit to having, not how many Spaced Out would now have liked?

I am glad my home country doesn’t entertain such nonsense. 

37 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Our representative democracy voted to uphold the result of the Brexit referendum and Leave. They even enacted two pieces of legislation to make it happen. How many more iotas would the Remainers and Johnny Foreigner like to manipulate to usurp our representative democracy’s’ LAWS?

And now your parliamentary representative democracy decided to do things differently. That’s how it goes. ????‍♂️ 

Do not forget merkels cosy deal with putin ...oil etc..she does not like that being brought out in the public domain

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

What “cosy” oil deal exactly did Merkel strike with Putin that she does not like “being brought out in the public domain”?

Germany gets most of it's gas supply from Russia, and the recently built €9.5bn Nord Stream 2 pipeline will result in a further increase. This is from Reuters: 

"The EU bloc is divided in its support for the project. Eastern European, Nordic and Baltic Sea countries view the 1,225 km (760 mile) pipeline as holding the EU hostage to Moscow, while those in northern Europe, especially Germany, prioritizes the economic benefits."

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

They haven’t changed the Withdraw Act and would not dare to. Adjusting the date tricks won’t work forever. Then we’ll be out No Deal. You lot can pick up the tab.

Not even you can stop parliament either nullifying the Brexit bill by amending it to make it "null en void" or pass another bill to cancel it.  

Archived