Which Gym? California Or True Fitness Or ?

Hi just thought I's solicit some recommendations on this.

Live on soi 22, currently going to the gym and imperial queens park (4000 b/month). Im only in bangkok for one more month so though I'd try out one of the other big gyms in the neighborhood.

I am aware of

California Wow at Asok

True Fitness at Asok

The Capitol soi 24/suk

Grande Sheraton (inside gym)

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations and price info just for one month.

Ive heard some bad things about california wow -- very busy after 3, no towels, dirty showers and lockers, bring yur own padlock etc....

thanks alot

bill

• 2 weeks later...

Why are the gyms so expensive in Thailand. I pay less than $19 U.S. per month for Gold's Gym in Austin. I paid an initiation fee of about $75 in 1987 and been paying the same $19 monthly fee ever since. Its a little more now to join but not much. Is it really $100 a month to go to a gym in BKK????

His membership is expensive only ecause it is monthly, if he was to join for 6 or 12 months he could get it down to between 1000 and 1700 approx per month.

I was quoted recently 1000/month for cal wow for 12 months and 1700/month for tue for 3 months.

Cal Wow sucks in my opinion.

Gyms are more expensive here than back home, buggered if I know why, maye cos they are new and trendy, sooner or later with more competition, it may change.

thanks for the replies

Ive now heard quite alot of negative comments about California Wow -- too crowded being the most frequented response

I went to True Fitness, and they offered 3000 bht for one month. Normally 5000/mo if done as a single month, and <2800/month if you take a contract. But clearly all these numbers are highly variable. Being a Farang, they clearly charge you much more than thais -- cos I just cant imagine so many Thais wanting to pay close to $100/month for a gym membership.

But it a very nice gym and latest equipment. Although one thing I do find odd is the lack of gyms with pools in bangkok! They got three floors in Exchange tower, half a dozen studios (for aerobics yoga cycling etc) and they didnt think a pool was worth it? I guess not.

yeah, a friend of mine was quoted a crazy figure for monthly memebership in True Fitness in Asoke. I cannot remember the figure but I was like in euro over 100 a month, which is 60% -100% more than high quality gyms in Ireland.

I was trying to figure out how Thai people can afford this?

When I was in the west, the gym was really affordable. People went there and work out.

In Thailand, these gym are not only for working out IMO. Check out their locker room and so on. It's toooooo luxurious to be in a gym! Sometimes I even think that they use this as something to indicate their well being like using luxurious car, having big house etc.

I have one American friend here. She went to the gym CAL WOW and came back to me and complained that thai people there would rather talk and socialize than work out (well there were still people working out).

I laughed my a** off. :o

Right now I go to a gym in my condo. So it's free.

yeah, a friend of mine was quoted a crazy figure for monthly memebership in True Fitness in Asoke. I cannot remember the figure but I was like in euro over 100 a month, which is 60% -100% more than high quality gyms in Ireland.

I was trying to figure out how Thai people can afford this?

Thai pay different price. And even lower if they are students. I could hack the price down to about 1,000/month. But I didn't take it coz I already had my gym in my condo. I went in there and ask for the quote from Cal WOW since I have heard it's bad in that they would try so hard to make people sign the contract. So, I went there just to see how much they were trained for that. They used all the sweet words, sent the prettiest girls to talk to me, many kind of promotions that they have (or just made it up right at that time) . It's quite entertaining. :o

I said no to them.

LOL! its like a few years back I was member of what at the time was the Most Upmarket Health Club in dublin. You know the sort of place where local TV Stars went, and the odd member of U2 etc...

We would be horsing the weights out of it, shouting F words with effort, and doing our own kickboxing the corner. we'd chuck the classical music CDs out of the sund system, and stick in AC/DC! LOL!!!

The management were not one but happy, as we were annoying the "stars" who liked to spend 2 hours in the sauna and steam room sipping carrot juice , thinking they did a work out!!!!

California Wow is offering 499/month on their website....

(Speaking of California, I was meeting some A+R people today for the first time .... 2 bleach blonde assistants with fake tits. I said to myself "My God, they really ARE from Cali... :o )

• 7 months later...

has anyone priced the True Fitness club at CENTRAL WORLD yet? I saw that they has the Black card membership which I think is the longer term membership (but cheaper per month)....does any one know how much the best price on those are? and is the card good at their clubs around Asia? thanks!

Hi just thought I's solicit some recommendations on this.

Live on soi 22, currently going to the gym and imperial queens park (4000 b/month). Im only in bangkok for one more month so though I'd try out one of the other big gyms in the neighborhood.

I am aware of

California Wow at Asok

True Fitness at Asok

The Capitol soi 24/suk

Grande Sheraton (inside gym)

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations and price info just for one month.

Ive heard some bad things about california wow -- very busy after 3, no towels, dirty showers and lockers, bring yur own padlock etc....

thanks alot

bill

The Windsor Hotels have a day rate of 8000 baht a year(check in before 5) and 12000 a year, if you want all day/nite access.

I am a member at True Fitness. Also have access to California Fitness through 24 Hour Fitness membership in America. True Fitness has increased its yearly memberships quite a bit so if you can a monthly membership for 1400 baht, I think its about the best they will offer(foreigners). Their black card membership was previously a good deal (5 yr membership) but I heard now its going for 90,000 baht.

Cal Fitness at Silom is good; Cal Fitness at Sukhumvit sucks! If you can sign up at Silom, I'd say try it out first, but my experience there has been positive. If you take the MRT from Asoke, it costs 22 baht to get there.

I'm sure that Capitol Club is great but their membership dues are also great! :o

I have 24 months contract with True Fitness and it's supposed to continue after that month-by-month contract. Also there is (written) option to terminate contract in case of leaving country before first 24 months is passed.

I just want to know if anyone have any experience about terminating this contract? Is it such easy like they say it is (showing your visa + flight ticket) and sign a special form or is it like everything in Thailand, so god dam_n difficult that you just want to pay it until it ends (24 months).

I am a member at True Fitness. Also have access to California Fitness through 24 Hour Fitness membership in America. True Fitness has increased its yearly memberships quite a bit so if you can a monthly membership for 1400 baht, I think its about the best they will offer(foreigners). Their black card membership was previously a good deal (5 yr membership) but I heard now its going for 90,000 baht.

I am a member of California (and use 24 Hour Fitness in the USA (and California clubs in Taipei, HK, SG), sometimes by using my California card, but that access is limited to only a few days or a week or so of visiting the country each time)

On the flip side, with your 24 Hour Fitness membership, can you enter and use California clubs here in Asia for more than a few consecutive days at a time?? I would guess not (otherwise you would be considered more than just a visitor from an affiliated club)...

Baht 90,000 for a 5 year membership with True doesnt seem like a good deal compared with effectively lifetime membership (8 years plus very nominal yearlys after that) at California for about Baht 30,000 (especially since California has MANY more affiliated clubs in Thailand and Asia and the States)....

am I missing something? why would you choose True over California here? I wanted to get both memberships (just to have variety) but Baht 90K is too steep comparatively speaking.... do they negotiate the price at all? and what special benefits do they provide to justify the huge differential in price?

On the flip side, with your 24 Hour Fitness membership, can you enter and use California clubs here in Asia for more than a few consecutive days at a time?? I would guess not (otherwise you would be considered more than just a visitor from an affiliated club)...

Baht 90,000 for a 5 year membership with True doesnt seem like a good deal compared with effectively lifetime membership (8 years plus very nominal yearlys after that) at California for about Baht 30,000 (especially since California has MANY more affiliated clubs in Thailand and Asia and the States)....

am I missing something? why would you choose True over California here? I wanted to get both memberships (just to have variety) but Baht 90K is too steep comparatively speaking.... do they negotiate the price at all? and what special benefits do they provide to justify the huge differential in price?

Yes, I can go to Cal Fitness for a month per visit.

I prefer True Fitness over Cal Fitness for many reasons which previous posters have enumerated in this thread and others. In short, Cal Fitness on Sukhumvit in particular sucks!

As for the 5 year memberships, I agree they are overpriced now but previously were reasonably priced. They also are effectively lifetime memberships, as the 6th year and beyond costs 1000 baht a year.

OK, I wont waste my time with True Fitness then.....I was only interested in the new Central World branch.....the Treu Asoke branch is on the wrong side of the street for me (just isnt worth the bother).....

Ill just use the Siam Paragon California or Asoke California when in those zones....

I use Calif Asoke. Its not my ideal gym but I dont mind it. Really Im just there to go hard on the weights for 45 mins and get out. Yes its very busy in the weights room from 6pm onwards to I try to get in by 5.30 if poss. But Mon and Fri is quite quiet actually, esp Fri. Seems all the Thais are out. The 'gym culture' is annoying but I dont take any notice and dont let it bother me. If someone is on a peice tha I want to use I just ask them to share and never get a 'no'.

I joined when they opened at 1200 /month no committment except monthly CC debit. Now down to 900 / month. Can't go wrong for that price.

yes, I agree...... Im not expecting an unattainable "ideal" gym where everything is arranged perfect from my own subjective vantage point (I do live in reality).......the California's are fine for me....especially for the price (effectively about B400 a month)....

[some things annoy me also (like the stupidly cramped locker rooms at the California Siam Paragon branch)... whats with that!?!]