EC issues ‘orange card’ to Pheu Thai candidate

webfact

EC issues ‘orange card’ to Pheu Thai candidate

By The Nation 

cc03251bfc06f4e4c0d025888548e2fc.jpeg

File photo : Surapon Kietchaiyakorn//radioparliament.com

The Election Commission (EC) on Wednesday issued an “orange card” to a Pheu Thai candidate for allegedly buying votes to win a parliamentary seat in Chiang Mai province.

The EC also ordered re-election in Chiang Mai's Constituency 8. This is the first card the EC issued on a candidate since the March 24 general election.

According to unofficial EC results, Surapon Kietchaiyakorn won 52,165 votes for Chiang Mai’s Constituency 8.

Surapon, meanwhile, said he had already learned of the EC’s decision and was waiting for an official notification. He admitted that he donated Bt2,000 and wall clock to a monk at a religious event during the campaign period, something he said he has done on many occasions.

He added that the monk in question has already testified with the EC. 

“I am still in good spirits. I believe this issue is politically motivated, as the EC could have given me a yellow card, which would have allowed me to re-contest. However, it issued an orange card to prevent me from contesting again,” he said in a telephone interview. 

With the orange card, Surapon’s right to run in elections has been revoked for a year. 

The EC made the decision on Tuesday and said it was based on reports from its branch in Chiang Mai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30368288

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

He admitted that he donated Bt2,000 and wall clock to a monk at a religious event during the campaign period

In comparison to the millions of baht, Mr P was promising the populace, out of taxpayers money, this incident seems rather pathetic, but not surprising.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

I am still in good spirits. I believe this issue is politically motivated, as the EC could have given me a yellow card, which would have allowed me to re-contest. However, it issued an orange card to prevent me from contesting again,” he said 

Could've been worse a straight red card is an automatic 3 match ban and more for violent conduct .. 

Surely what they should have is a sinbin like in rugby where a player has to go off for 10/15 mins but then can come back on .. 

3 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

Of course, what we are all watching is a coup by stealth.

Not much stealthy about it.

As for vote buying it was rampant by Palang Pracharath , but I don't suppose that counts. Why nothing much has been said about this is very disappointing.

Still, if the election was to be declared null and void because of all the irregularities they could schedule another one ......in four years time.

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

In comparison to the millions of baht, Mr P was promising the populace, out of taxpayers money, this incident seems rather pathetic, but not surprising.

Many of my friends wifes/gf's were offered money at the polling stations to vote for the Army. Why is nobody picking this up and acting??...... mmmmm. nuff said!

37 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Many of my friends wifes/gf's were offered money at the polling stations to vote for the Army. Why is nobody picking this up and acting??...... mmmmm. nuff said!

My Mrs was given money from 2 candidates - one of them the army candidate-------------as were all in the village!

It was expected from the beginning. While most complaints concern PPP candidates, they will be banning PPT and FFP members for ridiculous reasons, such as making merit in this case. Until the count is right for Prayuth.

19 hours ago, seajae said:

what surprises me is they actually have done something to a candidate paying for votes, have to wonder why they havent done this to all the others doing it

He made a donation to a monk who cannot vote.

32 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

He made a donation to a monk who cannot vote.

He needs a good lawyer, with no connections to the General PM.

With Pheu Thai not allowed to contest the re-run, expect a massive majority for Future Forward.   One in the eye for the military party!

Archived