Do you have a "smart watch?"

wpcoe

I bought one on my last trip to the US, mainly because I fell in love with the displayed time image on a display model.  It's an Android Wear watch, and later learned that pretty much any watch face on one Android watch can be put on any other Android watch.  Oh, well.

I'm a total neophyte with smart watches, and wonder what folks actually use them for.  I was disappointed that it seems most functions need to be done via a connected (via Bluetooth) phone.  What's the point of that?  Why not just do whatever function it is on the phone itself?  Hoping to be corrected that I've got the basic concept wrong, so fire away at my ignorance!  :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming my impression.  Luckily my phone has a sort of "quick charge" where it fully charges in 60 minutes.  Since I don't have any of the health function apps (I think, or if I do, I don't use them) the watch will actually last 2-3 days with just time-telling being used.

The watch is a little too dressy for me to wear around town hopping on and off baht buses in Pattaya, but I wore it most of the time I was in the USA.  I will wear it on my frequent trips to Bangkok and see how it holds up.

My watch is a Fossil (just like me!) Sport watch.  I liked the band/face of the Fossil Explorist, but the Sport had a newer generation of processor (and hence, the fast charging.)

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I was disappointed that it seems most functions need to be done via a connected (via Bluetooth) phone.  What's the point of that?  Why not just do whatever function it is on the phone itself?

What qualifies as "most functions"? What is it that you're having issues with? Your watch has a gazillion applications which operate independent of your phone, and has WiFi. That said, the lack of 4G means you do need WiFi or a linked Android phone via BT, for internet connectivity, which limits mobility a bit.

Maybe watch a few WearOS and Fossil Sport walk-through videos on Youtube?

12 hours ago, killerbeez said:

The watch is no more than a little touch screen connected to your phone... and the phone is where all the heavy lifting happens. Basically, unless it's connected to your phone, it's just something that tells the time for a few hours till the battery wears out.

This is wholly inaccurate.

It looks like an awesome watch. Google actually bought some tech (and people) from Fossil earlier this year. I know a few people with Fossil WearOS smartwatches and the only negative I hear is battery life, and the kludgy proprietary battery charger.

I go back and forth on the smartwatch concept. My biggest issue is the daily charging requirement. Then I think about the Citizen Eco-Drive, where you never have to worry about power.

WearOS is a must (rather than Android 7.1.1.), and I'm always leaning towards the TicWatch E2 or S2, for now.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What qualifies as "most functions"? What is it that you're having issues with? Your watch has a gazillion applications which operate independent of your phone, and has WiFi. That said, the lack of 4G means you do need WiFi or a linked Android phone via BT, for internet connectivity, which limits mobility a bit.

Well, for starters, I had a watch face with a weather widget.  Doesn't update unless paired with mobile phone.  How useful is that?

Or how about when flying home:  New York to Seoul to Bangkok.  Wanted my watch to auto-synch to local times.  Nope.  Not without first synching my mobile phone and then pairing it with the watch.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Well, for starters, I had a watch face with a weather widget.  Doesn't update unless paired with mobile phone.  How useful is that?

Or how about when flying home:  New York to Seoul to Bangkok.  Wanted my watch to auto-synch to local times.  Nope.  Not without first synching my mobile phone and then pairing it with the watch.

And how about getting your watch to join a new WiFi network?

1. Get out your phone and pair it with your watch

2. Go to your watch to select and join a new WiFi network

3. Go back to your phone to enter the password

I think smart watches have great potential, but there not there yet in any practical sense that I can see.

I need to find those YouTube videos and see what I'm actually missing.  :smile:

I just bought the new Huawei Watch GT (Silver version, outside Thailand).

And I am very happy with it, as I can wear it 1-2 weaks with all functions switched on. No need to recharge every day.

Of course this watch have limited smart functionality, but what I need is supported.

- Check heartbeat, sleep tracking, exercise tracking, and a nice looking watch-face, which looks like a real watch, and most important the battery lasting time.

As I have my phone with me about 99% of the time I not need a smart watch which can be used without a phone.

But it's nice to see the messages on the watch without always check the phone.

Edited by HampiK

On 4/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, villagefarang said:

I have an Apple Watch and I find it very useful. It tracks all of my physical activity and workouts as well as my sleep. I can even answer phone calls or Line messages when I don’t have my phone with me. 

Same here. I have an Apple Watch and use it to track workouts and activity. I like it as I can listen to music when out running without having to take my phone, while also tracking the run I'm doing. 

• Like 1

I came to Thailand 11 years ago after working for 35 years day in and day out everything on a strict time table, The first thing I did when I came to Thailand is to throw my watch in a draw and I never used it again. That's Freedom.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, killerbeez said:

I got one free with my phone last year... tried it and eventually chucked it in a drawer.

I got one free with my last phone purchase too. I didn't like it because you needed to connect it via Bluetooth which put a significant drain on my phone's battery. I also don't need to monitor my pulse rate 24/7.

• Thanks 1

I use my polar watch for activity and gps.

Ive got a samsung smart watch that came with the samsung s10+ a couple of months ago. Its still in its box in a drawer because i dont normally use watches except when i run. Maybe I will charge it sometime and just test it out.

I'm amazed so many people seem to own one of these watches; I don't know anyone who does, but perhaps I'm the wrong demographic. It has also never occurred to me that keeping count of the number of breaths I take per minute, the frequency with which I've sat on the lavatory per day, or the period of time and stool count while I am at such leisure, is crucial to my wellbeing, but then again dogs do sniff their ordure to check their state of health, so perhaps there is something in it.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:37 PM, killerbeez said:

The watch is no more than a little touch screen connected to your phone... and the phone is where all the heavy lifting happens. Basically, unless it's connected to your phone, it's just something that tells the time for a few hours till the battery wears out.

Not entirely true, some watches are cellular also and can operate totally independent from phone.

those have shorter battery life meaning will not last a day but it’s still an option.

i have 2, apple 4 and Amazfit. Amazfit lasts for a week but very limited usages, apple lasts a day but can do a few things with it 

Smart Watch < Mobile Phone < Computer

It is an unnecessary accessory. I have a Samsung Watch that was gift. It tracks steps and floor levels climbed but all of those things are things I just pay attention to now that I have the watch. That is something I never cared about pre-smartwatch.

3 hours ago, Henricus said:

I came to Thailand 11 years ago after working for 35 years day in and day out everything on a strict time table, The first thing I did when I came to Thailand is to throw my watch in a draw and I never used it again. That's Freedom.

Old outmoded concept.  My Huawai gives me freedom.  It is waterproof.  It tells me the temperature (safety for the dog).  I can read it in direct sunlight.  It tells me when I have a phone call.  It monitors my heart rate and warns me if it is too high.  It monitors and records my heart rate 24/7.  It monitors my sleep and tells me if I am getting enough quality sleep.  It counts my steps and tells my doctor if I am exercising enough (he tracks it).  It tells me to get up and walk around if I have been sitting too long.  It times my cooking.  

It has a good range so I can leave my phone in the middle of the house and walk around outside or anywhere in the area and it tells me when I have a call or I can read my messages from the watch. 

I rarely use it to check the time. 

I've got an Omega gold Seamaster that sits in the safe as I never use it anymore.  Too heavy.

huaw.jpg

8 minutes ago, sensei said:

It is an unnecessary accessory. I have a Samsung Watch that was gift. It tracks steps and floor levels climbed but all of those things are things I just pay attention to now that I have the watch. That is something I never cared about pre-smartwatch.

I don't carry my phone all the time nor do I sleep with my phone.  So I need the watch. I use a Galaxy Note and it's too big to be looking at all the time and I can read my messages and schedule from my watch also heart rate.  Actually I could do it with my ear buds but sometimes I do take those out.  Jabra elite sport. 

iWatch is a funky toy on the wrist, the latest model claims to give precise heart bpm...I have the previous model, good for sports and activity monitoring but many functions require having the iPhone nearby or within the same wifi network if I'm not mistaken....not sure as I tossed it in a shelf after a few months ! ????

Just now, observer90210 said:

iWatch is a funky toy on the wrist, the latest model claims to give precise heart bpm...I have the previous model, good for sports and activity monitoring but many functions require having the iPhone nearby or within the same wifi network if I'm not mistaken....not sure as I tossed it in a shelf after a few months ! ????

My latest is my 3rd one and the only one I actually wear.  I had a previous one that checked my BP as well as heart rate and I'm waiting for Huawei to add that or upgrade software to do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sensei said:

Yes, we take your point.

It took me a while to understand all the features behind the Samsung Gear S3.........small things like the 'coach' that encourages you to up the ante on your daily goals, the ability to distinguish between a regular walk and a dynamic walk, the ability to compare the current week's activities as compared to the previous.....and what it takes to make up any deficits in goals.

As I mentioned earlier, it's my gym coach....my motivator.