San Diego-area synagogue shooting leaves one worshipper dead, three wounded

rooster59

*quote edited out*

Do you also think Australia and New Zealand ignorant of Jewish people too as there's even less anti-Semitism overall in Oceania than in Asia? (& NZ is actually quite critical of Netanyahu's government though long supportive of the state of Israel. Jewish population in NZ 0.14%)

You seem saying you think there would naturally be less anti-Semitism if there were even less Jews, that Jewish people create anti-Semitism? That's hardly at all an anti-Semitic view of the world! Good luck arguing that.

The next car in that train of thought is that homophobic people tend less homophobic when they don't know any gay people like that their neighbors are gay or their child is gay, or their cousin has to pray in secret because he is Jewish.

So I'm surprisingly unsurprised by your surprise of the assessment.

Fact is many places where anti-Semitism is higher there are no or only very few Jewish people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Europe

"...Antisemitism was stronger...where...practically no Jews had lived, and among people who neither have had nor have any personal contact with Jews..."

You might be surprised to find it works the same with gay people, that my brother would be even more of a homophobe if he didn't know me. Hard to imagine, but true. That my neighbor would be more of an anti-Semite if she didn't know me. How surprising an assessment.

Let's look elsewhere in Jewish-barren Asia to see if your disgusting anti-Semitic theory holds true:

Country   pop anti-Semitic  Jewish per 1000 population

Malaysia           61%   (they'd rather live in Bangladesh)  

South Korea      53%                    0.00*

Bangladesh       32%        (Jews in Bangladesh? lol, No) 

India                20%                    0.00

Singapore         16%                    0.16

Thailand           13%                    0.00

Vietnam            06%                    0

So, no. association with Jewish people does not cause anti-Semitism just as the association with gay people does not cause homophobia.

That's just you scapegoating and victim blaming. The very thinking that leads to a San Diego-area synagogue shooting.

Have a nice day.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population_by_country

• Thanks 1

I literally drive by that place every day, and have done so for years.  The place where the guy stopped and surrendered is right down the street from work. 

Sad how idiots generalize Jews, and Israelis, and religion and politics, etc.  Many jews don't know squat about Israel.  Although I believe one of the tenets of Judaism may be to believe in the nation of Israel?  That came up once in a discussion about religion and national allegiance when I was in the Air Force.  Somebody opined that people that believe in Judaism shouldn't be in the US Military because they actually affirm loyalty to the nation of Israel and that would take precedence over allegiance to the USA. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, RobMuir said:

Another good thing about living in wonderful Buddhist Thailand.

None of this Muslim vs Christian crap fighting over a god that doesn’t exist. 

The Thais are above it all.

The teachings of the Buddha make sense. The father Xmas, Easter bunny, Virgin Mary, Noah’s ark is all just nonsense.

The south problems are only about territory.

I disagree that the Thais are above it all.  Buddhism may be above it all, but no government should enforce a religion, even one which I admire and appreciate such as Buddhism.  The Thai people in general may be tolerant, at least on the surface, but the Thai government I don't think is especially tolerant.  Funny when speaking when some Thais in my broken Thai and their broken English, they often use the words "Allah people".  Rarely have heard them say Muslims

Being 19 years old, it seems unlikely he is the person who suffered years of racism or years of oppression and angry about age old conflicts of religion.

Its a 19 year old boy.

Really we must ask ourselves what is really the issue and how/why someone this young could do this.

maybe he is nuetral in the whole religion thing, a bit mentally unstable, and is just rebelling about the whole shitty deal the x generation left him.

Im sad to sad to say, we can expect more of the same

but instead of blaiming the youth for their declining morals, maybe we should look at the greed of our generation that has led the youth to this sort of hoplessness. 

sad times.

10 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Being 19 years old, it seems unlikely he is the person who suffered years of racism or years of oppression and angry about age old conflicts of religion.

Its a 19 year old boy.

Really we must ask ourselves what is really the issue and how/why someone this young could do this.

maybe he is nuetral in the whole religion thing, a bit mentally unstable, and is just rebelling about the whole shitty deal the x generation left him.

Im sad to sad to say, we can expect more of the same

but instead of blaiming the youth for their declining morals, maybe we should look at the greed of our generation that has led the youth to this sort of hoplessness. 

sad times.

Huh?

You don't want to blame this white nationalist terrorist?

Now I've heard everything. 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I disagree that the Thais are above it all.  Buddhism may be above it all, but no government should enforce a religion, even one which I admire and appreciate such as Buddhism.  The Thai people in general may be tolerant, at least on the surface, but the Thai government I don't think is especially tolerant.  Funny when speaking when some Thais in my broken Thai and their broken English, they often use the words "Allah people".  Rarely have heard them say Muslims

The thai government doesn’t enforce Buddhism. 

People here are allowed to be Muslim, Christian or atheist. 

2 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The thai government doesn’t enforce Buddhism. 

People here are allowed to be Muslim, Christian or atheist. 

Ah, you are wrong.  But it is a matter of degrees.  The Thai government does strongly encourage, and does mandate teaching Buddhism in its schools and state issued publications

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Ah, you are wrong.  But it is a matter of degrees.  The Thai government does strongly encourage, and does mandate teaching Buddhism in its schools and state issued publications

Nah, if they “enforced” it as you originally said, then everyone would be required to be Buddhist. Sure they promote it and encourage it but don’t enforce it.

Only at government funded schools is Buddhism mandated. 

4 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Nah, if they “enforced” it as you originally said, then everyone would be required to be Buddhist. Sure they promote it and encourage it but don’t enforce it.

Only at government funded schools is Buddhism mandated. 

uh huh.  Mandated = enforced.  I never said everyone is required to be Buddhst.  Good luck trying your kid even in public school there to not do Buddhist things.  See if the kid gets bullied, laughed at, harrasse.  etc. and then see how much support the child gets from the system

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I literally drive by that place every day, and have done so for years.  The place where the guy stopped and surrendered is right down the street from work. 

Sad how idiots generalize Jews, and Israelis, and religion and politics, etc.  Many jews don't know squat about Israel.  Although I believe one of the tenets of Judaism may be to believe in the nation of Israel?  That came up once in a discussion about religion and national allegiance when I was in the Air Force.  Somebody opined that people that believe in Judaism shouldn't be in the US Military because they actually affirm loyalty to the nation of Israel and that would take precedence over allegiance to the USA. 

Huh?

Is this really the time to "politely" bring up another classic antisemitic trope? (Accusations of dual loyalty.)

An idiot’s guide to anti-Semitic tropes

https://www.jta.org/2019/02/19/opinion/an-idiots-guide-to-anti-semitic-tropes-2

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Americans know that is never going to happen so that's one heck of a castrated elephant.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Then don't wring your hands at the consequences and wail about what gets said on the internet.  No guns and it stays on the internet and that's just a fact.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

You can't buy a bomb in Walmart.

I'm personally for the U.S. to do what Australia did but the U.S. has the 2nd amendment which has been grossly distorted by the gun lobby, so that's the realistic situation. I'm not acknowledging that. Gun control in the U.S. is going to be small ball at best. That was proven after nothing changed after Sandy Hook.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

We're getting off topic here, but the common expression would be 'khon isalam'.

There are public schools where Buddhism is the main religion and other public schools where it isn't.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, ezzra said:

When you have leading Democratic candidates as Bernie Sanders labeling Israel as "right wing racist" and garbage caricature in the New york times where Israel PM and portrayed as dog and Trump a blind jewish needing a dog, what do you expect?...

Jewish dog.PNG

I'm much more conservative myself - but I don't buy that this was in any way related to the cartoon above or any article or speech by Bernie.

Someone that hates a group of people to this extent is messed up in the head. A cartoon is not going to make any difference.

It's just part of the cycle of knee-jerk reactions on the right and left as they both battle for faux moral superiority.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, Jingthing said:

Huh?

You don't want to blame this white nationalist terrorist?

Now I've heard everything. 

Huh?

So you dont questioning at all how/why a 19 year old can be a nationalist white terrorist?

I spose he just watched a few Youtube vids and decided it was cool huh?

Not a product of society? 

Or from listening to his hero role models who are probably borderline retarded?

Me & friends number1 priority was chasing skirt at that age. still am

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Huh?

So you dont questioning at all how/why a 19 year old can be a nationalist white terrorist?

I spose he just watched a few Youtube vids and decided it was cool huh?

Not a product of society? 

Or from listening to his hero role models who are probably borderline retarded?

Me & friends number1 priority was chasing skirt at that age. still am

You seemed to imply he deserves sympathy because of his youth.

Here are some clues as to why --

Here’s Why It’s So Hard For The Government To Stop Violent White Nationalists

Read more: https://forward.com/news/breaking-news/423432/heres-why-its-so-hard-for-the-government-to-fight-violent-white/

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, pedro01 said:

I'm much more conservative myself - but I don't buy that this was in any way related to the cartoon above or any article or speech by Bernie.

Someone that hates a group of people to this extent is messed up in the head. A cartoon is not going to make any difference.

It's just part of the cycle of knee-jerk reactions on the right and left as they both battle for faux moral superiority.

This particular case was definitely coming from the far right wing white nationalist ideology. People get confused and think Jew hatred comes from one place. Nope. It comes from multiple places --

-- Traditional European / Christian interpretation of bible stories based / Catholic ("they killed our Savior") and Protestant (refer to the writings of Martin Luther)

-- White nationalist / Nazi / far right wing, etc. based (often mixed somewhat with traditional Christian based as above)

-- Left wing type linked to Israel demonization (more historically recent) most prevalent in western Europe

Edited by Jingthing