Can Any One Give Me A Link?

Someone has just asked me a question.

He has been told, by a man in a pub :o that you can no longer get a visa into the UK without having passed the Life in the UK test in Thailand.

I have said I believe this to be incorrect,

You can still get a Spouse, Fiance, Visit or whatever visa under the normal circumstances, but once you are here and you want ILR then you have to pass the LITUK test and that will form a constituent part of your application for ILR, I believe this to come into force in April.

As this is new to my radar, any link for me guys, so I can confirm the actual rules for him.

Good Luck and thanks

Moss

Hi Moss,

From 2 April all applicants for settlement with have to demonstrate English language skills combined with a citizenship element. This can either be through attending an ESOL with Citizenship course, or through sitting the Life in the UK test. Other categories have been linked with a language requirement, but not the citizenship element.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1146...wledgeqanda.doc

Scouse.

Great result Scouse.

Without diluting the other thread, and as you have answered this one, it doesn't really matter, was my advice on Mickey's post completely off line, although I admit I had forgotten about the MN1, I thought you could apply on the same form, by memory I am sure we were going to do this.

I did ask how old the son was, so wasn't really sure about this.

Don't mind some constructive criticism :o

Good Luck

Moss

It wasn't necessarily wrong, it's just that it didn't relate to Mikey's circumstances as I recalled them. In a previous thread, he stated that his son was born in Thailand but that he and his wife were unmarried at the time, and it was before 1 July 2006 (when the legitimacy rules changed).

Scouse.

:o

Thanks for the response,

and clarification, I just get a bit annoyed with myself if on limited occasion I give advice, and I get it wrong, and I didn't really know Mickeys circumstances.

Good Luck

Moss :D

could someone please clear a couple of things up.

The new Life in the UK test is this is now requirement for ILR?

Is the test the same as citizenship test or shorter version?

When a ILR is granted is there any restrictions on the amount of time you can spend out of the UK?

The last question is because my wife can apply for her ILR in March 2008 but we may have to return to Thailand before or after this date as her father is very sick and she will need to take care of him,if the ILR is granted can we leave the UK and have no problems returning say in 1-2 years or will the visa then be non valid?

If so we would not waste our time and money in the future applying for the ILR.

We would like to have the option to come back to the UK without the hassle of the application process for a further settlement visa.

I look forward to your reply,thanks bozy

The new Life in the UK test is this is now requirement for ILR?

Is the test the same as citizenship test or shorter version?

When a ILR is granted is there any restrictions on the amount of time you can spend out of the UK?

The last question is because my wife can apply for her ILR in March 2008 but we may have to return to Thailand before or after this date as her father is very sick and she will need to take care of him,if the ILR is granted can we leave the UK and have no problems returning say in 1-2 years or will the visa then be non valid?

If so we would not waste our time and money in the future applying for the ILR.

We would like to have the option to come back to the UK without the hassle of the application process for a further settlement visa.

The 'Life in UK' test is a requirement to apply for ILR after 1st April 2007

It will be the same test as required for citizenship, although it changes in April 2007

Once you have ILR you should not spend more than a 2 year period outside the UK

Whatever you do you should try to apply for ILR on time otherwise you will have more expense applying for FLR and then eventually ILR or if you let it lapse you will have to start the settlement visa process all over again at another great expense (have you seen the new fees anounced today)