Runways 1 & 2 Have No Cracks , 3 Has Cracks On Purpose !

I may be wrong here but I seem to recall that the budget airlines lobbied for some considerable time to remain at DM ,way before Swampy balm was opened. Their reasoning was lower fixed costs = lower operating costs neccessary for a budget airline to maintain a commercial advantage. This went on for at a least a year before the opening of the new airport but was dismissed in it's entirety by Thaksin's government. Indeed they had plans in the longer term to open another terminal at Swampy balm specifically for those budget operators, but of course this would have resulted in higher fixed costs.

Also Thaksin and co had considered other uses for DM such as another much needed shopping mall. This possibly had more influence on his decision to close DM then anything I suspect. The decision to reverse that and to re-locate back to DM I further suggest was more to do with reversing Thaksin's government's decisions than any cracks in the runway. It is just that with the crack issue, being critical or otherwise, was an additional excuse to carry out this move.

Of course these budget airlines publically complained about this reversal not least due to the cost of relocating again. But I would suspect a compromise may be acheived in the way of some form of compensation in the future so all are happy again.

I also read that when those 4 flights were diverted it was due to malfunction of some of the air bridges rather than the state of the runways.

So to summarise , irrespective of the whether the cracks are a long or short term issue, serious or otherwise, the budget airlines would still be at Swampy balm if Thaksin had still been PM. He is not so they are going back to DM which is what they always wanted. So in a way everbody is happy because the current governement has reversed a Thaksin decision, workers who were bussed from DM to swampy can now go back, floor area at DM domestic terminal will allow even more retail outlets eventually than by just using one airport, Budget airlines will be pleased and last but not least it has given some members of TV a good opportunity to argue amongst themselves as to the pros and cons of Swampy balms construction.

I can't understnd what everyone is squabling about. First of all an independant examination by aranautical engineers took place long before this airport opened, and the results given was to make the runways and taxiways over again. That doesn't men to repair, but to re construct them again. This was by the invitation of the prvious Thai government.

Obviously this was ignored and the airport opened anyway.

I have no say here, as I am a guest in this country and happy to be here. I never bring any western ways to thailand. If you live here, you have to except the result of the country no matter what.

Barry