Yet more delays in implementation of immigration's biometric system

webfact

Even by Thai standards, blaming delays at Ubon Airport of all places sounds beyond ridiculous. That really shouldn't be a show stopper, what's that airport's share of Thailand's international air traffic? About zero percent?

10 hours ago, natway09 said:

Boss: Why has this not been implemented ?

Sorry Sir, we can't sort out who gets what 

A friend of mine engaged in marketing the X'ray scanners in Thai airports told me what originally cost $1 million USD finished up costing $15 million USD when installation was completed, so you could be right.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

But there has been delay after delay in the implementation of the 2.1 billion baht plans that include better fingerprint and facial recognition technology.

I still can't use the online 90 day system... I fill-out the 1st page then click continue.. up pops a message report to your local immigration office.

From the very start I managed to complete the application 3 times & successfully got the reply... then nothing, even at the office they said do it online.. they even tried in the office but found the same as me.. shrugged their shoulders & said ok.. see you every 90 days.

No info had changed, not been out of the country, everything was the same?

As a side note, on a recent trip to Australia Thai wife was able to use the Epassport and Egates to arrive and leave, no speaking to a human or stamps etc.

Saying that, her information, visa and expected arrival is already in the system from when she applied for the visa. For Thailand to introduce the system, all visa information would need to be live from the embassies

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As a side note, on a recent trip to Australia Thai wife was able to use the Epassport and Egates to arrive and leave, no speaking to a human or stamps etc.

Saying that, her information, visa and expected arrival is already in the system from when she applied for the visa. For Thailand to introduce the system, all visa information would need to be live from the embassies

Why live?

Would not the central Thailand immigration system have your informations/file at the time the embassy stamps the visa in your P.P, with your personal visa number?

3 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Why live?

Would not the central Thailand immigration system have your informations/file at the time the embassy stamps the visa in your P.P, with your personal visa number?

Live, connected, online etc, as in a visa gets issued and a central database gets updated.

As far as I know that information isnt online, the embassy puts a stamp in your passport but its not updating immigration database that the airport access. (they are not collecting biometrics at embassies)

As I was saying, that would all need to be in place before any Epassport, biometrics would work.

9 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Why live?

Which planet do you live on.

To get a visa to enter the UK, and I would think Australia, Thai people have make the application in person and provide biometrics.

To get a visa to enter Thailand, UK people do not have go in person far less provide biometrics.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Which planet do you live on.

To get a visa to enter the UK, and I would think Australia, Thai people have make the application in person and provide biometrics.

To get a visa to enter Thailand, UK people do not have go in person far less provide biometrics.

On Earth..

And while its on Earth Thailand can choose whatever system they want to process the visa.

Maybe they opt for an automated system without the fingerprint and digital photo part?

Why else would they sign contract if there was no possible way they can get it done in the timeframe?

And they are saying the only thing holding up the system is Udon airport, so dont that suggest all the other airports are good to go?

Anyway, is pure guesswork from us.

We dont work at Thai Imms, and are all just Thaivisa keyboard warrior experts.

One guy on here even posted that he believe Imms have every record, every entry, of every foriegner coming to Thailand since the late 80's

so please forgive if i must doubt whether you know exactly what your talking about either.

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Live, connected, online etc, as in a visa gets issued and a central database gets updated.

As far as I know that information isnt online, the embassy puts a stamp in your passport but its not updating immigration database that the airport access. (they are not collecting biometrics at embassies)

As I was saying, that would all need to be in place before any Epassport, biometrics would work.

That makes sense.

And if they use the system with no human contact at airport Imms, then whos gonna be there keep all these bad guys out and tell people they been here to long?

Im only guessing, but wouldnt that mean each countrys embassies who issueing Thai visas would then get the final say?

Each embassy would have to access Immigration files on your record of travel, THEN actually have some black and white (watertight) rules as to who can stay, exactly for how long each year, and decide who gets denied.

I suppose if its automated walk-through at the airport, the system could always flag you and an officer come and take you away for questioning,

but then again if they upgrade to this great new system then surely they will end this issue of the people WITH a legit visa, travel half way around the world only to get told they cant enter!!??

to mutt thinking make my head to hurt.

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

so please forgive if i must doubt whether you know exactly what your talking about either.

Show me what I posted that was incorrect.

Thailand is heading down a path that many other countries have already taken. Not up to people on this forum to question how they get there.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Show me what I posted that was incorrect.

Thailand is heading down a path that many other countries have already taken. Not up to people on this forum to question how they get there.

I dont think you had much to say that was correct or not but i agree that its up to them.

You said i was off the planet for adding comment, so i was just say i dont have to believe your comment either.

anyways, if its not up to people on this forum to question how they get there,

then we are all out of line in commenting..even you!

Don,t know if they tell you if and when it is in place.i thought they had something allready at the airport,because u stand on the spot and a pic is taken.so they have a out dated version and waiting for a better version when other countries have updated again before Thailand gets the new version.i know LHR will be using some kind of face recognition  very soon,so as u enter the airport they got your pic and passport checks are done by this.no where to hide now

22 hours ago, peter14 said:

Hire Singapore expertise or Hk.. a Thai general is clueless.. they all old and dont even know how to operate win95 ....

A Thai General indeed couldn't do the job, but an average experienced Thai IT guy would be fine. :cheesy:

On 5/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, tingtongtourist said:

I dont think you had much to say that was correct or not but i agree that its up to them.

You said i was off the planet for adding comment, so i was just say i dont have to believe your comment either.

anyways, if its not up to people on this forum to question how they get there,

then we are all out of line in commenting..even you!

Your words

"Would not the central Thailand immigration system have your informations/file at the time the embassy stamps the visa in your P.P, with your personal visa number?"

The immigration system cannot have information that they do not collect, they cannot collect biometrics by post, but feel free to believe otherwise.

I have a point to make but I don't want to sound racist and maybe there's a solution already I don't know about.

In the OP it says about improving transnational crime by having better biometric data such as finger prints and facial recognition. What about people entering Thailand and wearing a burka? Will they be properly screened like everyone else. Or will they just get waved through, no problem here, don't want to upset the 'pc community'.

images-41.jpg

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Your words

"Would not the central Thailand immigration system have your informations/file at the time the embassy stamps the visa in your P.P, with your personal visa number?"

The immigration system cannot have information that they do not collect, they cannot collect biometrics by post, but feel free to believe otherwise.

I never suggested that

From reading reports in the past they seem more interested in some sort of quick non-manned scanning system that push a horde of tourist through quicker.

I been to many countries now doing it.

All i know is they scan the chip in the passport and take the pic which probably only matches against the pic on the passport and you are through.

About the finger print thing, i never had to do recently except for Cambodian land border and at that time the machine readout saying "system offline" but they still wanted to scan the fingerprints.

some family member with half baked old computer skills (word) will be paid in gold to made a sucky website for those pesky farangs

look at immigration website, most links don't work and refer to local PC files of the admin

and why the hell most is in THAI, even you are in the "ENGLISH" version

Archived