What To Do Next To Install Firefox?

ronw

I am using ubuntu 5 10,and I recently downloaded a Firefox upgrade,

The download took only a few minutes,and was told that it had been downloaded to the desktop.

I looked in the desktop,and nothing do I find......IT AINT THERE!!

I did a search for firefox files,and found 46....some of which are dated the same day as the download...so I strongly suspect that they are indeed the upgrade waiting to be installed.

So, what do I do next?

As stated in previous posts,I am a computer cretin, so must be gently led,by hand!

I had no trouble with my installation and upgrades of firefox. When I have had trouble before with downloads, I merely removed the troublesome download from my disc and re-dowloaded, paying particular care to following the instructions.

This is precisely the problem,,,,,I "did" the download,and that proceded perfectly, then was told that the download was put on the desktop.......and NO FURTHER INFORMATION was forthcoming...

There was nothing on the desktop,...and no further instructions.....This is not the first time this has happened,and I am not the only one who gets the same result......

which begs the question,.....what do I do next? :o

Warning: I am no expert.

Once the program is downloaded, you should be able to find it by clicking on your start button and then clicking on all programs. If it is downloaded, it should how in the list of the programs on your disc.

Clicking on it while it is in programs should bring it up. Also, you can drag the firefox logo onto your desktop from there.

Thats all I know that might help.

Warning: I am no expert.

Once the program is downloaded, you should be able to find it by clicking on your start button and then clicking on all programs. If it is downloaded, it should how in the list of the programs on your disc.

Clicking on it while it is in programs should bring it up. Also, you can drag the firefox logo onto your desktop from there.

Thats all I know that might help.

Ummmm!....I did say i was a computer cretin......but there seems to be no visible "start button" on ubuntu...there is one in Windoze....but i am not using that OS...

Did you dowwnload it off the web, or through Ubuntu's add/remove programs in your applications menu?

Already had firefox 1, and downloaded the upgrade, for firefox2, from the net.....and thats all that happened.....download...then nothing....nothing on the desktop....and no instructions as what do do next....baffling!

all helpful suggestions gratefully accepted....

Could it be that your Firefox actually is updated (and you're just getting buggy messages from ubuntu) ... Click 'Help-->About MoZilla Firefox'and check the version number.

Thanks for that....did as you suggested, and the firefox version is still 1.0.7.....so it has not been upgraded!

Mayhap I shall wait until Ubuntu 6 arrives.....which has FF2 already installed....although that still may leave the "installing"problem unresolved.

I found a script that does the installation for you. You just download it to your desktop and type a command in Terminal and it does all the work for you. I tried it, and it works.

Http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox/

Unfortunately I made a typo and installed Firefox in Spanish.

Oh well....la mierda sucede. :o

Thanks for that.....it worked.......but we had to remove //Http:// from the URL....then got the correct site with full instructions..............