Atms Need To Be Maintained

Why don't the banks maintaint their ATMs? I use Bangkok Bank and for the last couple months the ATMs near where I live never have any paper for reciepts and often are just plain out of service. The local bank branch won't take responsibility(that's typical Thai service!) They just say its some other offices responsibility. Bangkok Bank has been particularly bad lately. It makes me wonder if they are in need of new ATM experts to service their machines. Even at the Asoke skytrain station the machine was out of paper reciepts. Other banks are much better. I can't tell you how many times I've taken money out of machines without a printed reciept. It's ridiculous. Are you experiencing what I am experiencing with the ATMs?

Nope. I've used Thai ATM's about five times per month for the last 45 months, and I seldom even have a problem with receipts (maybe once per 5 months). Bangkok Bank is the best for giving 25K instead of a limit of 20K (or 25 bills instead of 20 bills), and I haven't had a problem.

Maybe it's your neighborhood of Bangkok, or your bank, although I haven't had problems when visiting Bangkok.

Why don't the banks maintaint their ATMs? I use Bangkok Bank and for the last couple months the ATMs near where I live never have any paper for reciepts and often are just plain out of service. The local bank branch won't take responsibility(that's typical Thai service!) They just say its some other offices responsibility. Bangkok Bank has been particularly bad lately. It makes me wonder if they are in need of new ATM experts to service their machines. Even at the Asoke skytrain station the machine was out of paper reciepts. Other banks are much better. I can't tell you how many times I've taken money out of machines without a printed reciept. It's ridiculous. Are you experiencing what I am experiencing with the ATMs?

Complain here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We.../Contact+Us.htm

Do your part:

- Write down date/hour/location (ATM number)

- Take a picture

- Start a web site to report on the missing paper receipt

- Demand a refund

But please don't complain on this board ... thank you.

What is the location of the ATM/ATMS causing so many hassles ? With thousands of ATM'S out there can't see anyone can help or relate their experiences with the ATM/ATMS in question.

Cheers

try not to used them towards the end of the month.

Massive run on machines as people get paid and the promptly withdraw their cash (and use up receipts).

Some banks actually restrict the usage of ATM cards that are not their own during this period, given the excess demand for machines during this time.

hi,

it seems to me that this problem is omnipresent, even if you live in Thailand or elsewhere in the world -- because it does happen in places that I've been to. The ATMs don't always work like we want them to, not 24/7/365 at least. I had the same experience in the US, India, and the Philippines too.

laureen :o

bangkok bank atm jomtien near police station. Used it for the last year, broken 4 out of 5 times i use it. does not depend on time of the month or time of the day...............

Complain here:

Do your part:

- Take a picture

- Demand a refund

Whats the refund? A piece of paper and a pen, to write it down yourself next time :o:D

Many countries don't even give a paper.

Complain here:

Do your part:

- Take a picture

- Demand a refund

So you are one of the new moderators are you? :o

It's not yours or my job to tell a bank how to take care of their ATM. Bangkok bank is the pits, always was. SCB is the best bank around, since they suddenly got big a few years ago they have completely redefined the banking system in Thailand. Vote with your money, close your BB account, let them know why, then go across the street to SCB and be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Phil Conners

ATM replenishment (filling it up with money) is the bread and butter for the banks or their outsourcers (usually security companies).

When they replenish the money, they fix the paper too.

The reason for no receipts might be - a nearby factory whose workers take out small sums of money (and 1 of them may do that for several others), all 1000B or less. So many "under- average" transactions are not hard on money inside the ATM but they do disturb the average ratio of withdrawals and paper supplies.

There are 4-8 crates with money inside an ATM (each the size of a shoe box, just a bit longer) for different denominations and they may be 80% full while there is no paper for receipts.

An ATM would rise a flag if it is running out of money, also it can do that when it is low on paper. Then, the people monitoring those "call home" prioritize and dispatch the crew to attend the ATMs short of money. With BKK traffic jams, it is even more pronounced who gets the attention first.

Now, is it better for the bank to have enough money in their ATMs or to cater for paper receipts where withdrawals are 200-500B on average? Simply, they know their priorities. Spending 2-3 hours drive to "fix" an ATM that has more than enough money, just to replace the receipts paper roll?

Allegedly the worst bank, the Bangkok Bank, is far from that - it is the most trusted among the plebs and affluent Thais alike.

Edited by think_too_mut

Have had one swallowed card and one of those 'debited from account but no cash dispensed' incidents in about 10 years, both cleared up fairly quickly.... and that's making at least 1-3 withdrawal transactions and 1 deposit transaction just about every single day, year round. I'd say that's a pretty low (good) incident %, usually sticking with Bangkok Bank, SCB, and K-Bank in branch atm's.

:o

The ATM net work in Thailand is quite good save for the intra province charges and the limit on monthly withdrawls from other banks.

The thing that got me was that my children have savings accounts (no ATM) with BAY and they started deducting 50 Baht a month as the balance was less than 1,000 Baht.

Luckily I updated the books after 5 months commission was deducted and got the balances up to 1,000,

Amazing. Lets rip of the poor.

Amazing. Lets rip of the poor.

There is nothing new about that. Rich countries championed that drive.

A Canadian bank, The Bank of Nova Scotia, closed 30% of their the branches, left only ATMs.

The result? They lost 25% of their customers but the profitability went up 17%.

Be their customer or be a shareholder.

Hi Phil.

Can you give us some reasons why you think SCB is better than Bangkok Bank. What services do they provide that BB does not?

Thanks - O

They of course provide exactly the same services, they just do it way better. Wasn't that clear from my previous post?

Hi Phil.

Can you give us some reasons why you think SCB is better than Bangkok Bank. What services do they provide that BB does not?

Thanks - O

They of course provide exactly the same services, they just do it way better. Wasn't that clear from my previous post?

They don't.

Those that they do provide, may go as lousy as in 2 examples I have.

Try to send money form overseas to SCB. It will be processed by BKK bank (they and Kashikorn do international clearance for all Thai banks) and add up 2-5 days to settle into the SCB account.

Our old place was with Bangkok Bank and the rent was paid by overseas telegraphic transfer every month, on time, no exception, for almost 5 years.

New place is with SCB and I thought I was paying the rent. In the same fashion as I've been doing for years through BKK bank.

One day, the agent called asking us to vacate the premisses as the landlord had not received the rent for 2 months! Luckilly, I had the reports of successful transfers.

When the money was located, the SCB took 500B their cut.

The manager in the branch looked at how I am sending money and it was all good, including swift code.

Now, wife goes to BKK bank ATM, takes the money out and goes into SCB branch to manually deposit it. That is all they understand - banking the way it was 100 years ago.

Second, example, a Uni that banks with SCB told my wife her attendance will be cancelled as the tuition fee had not arrived 17 days past the deadline. Tracking showed that BKK bank processed the transfer the day I sent it, delivered it ito SCB who did not bother to send a note to the recipient (they do them all once a month).

Hi Phil.

Thanks - O

No Phil, you don't point to anything that makes SBC better at banking services than BB...that's why I asked the question.

You stated that "SCB is the best bank around, since they suddenly got big a few years ago they have completely redefined the banking system in Thailand. I'm simply asking what have they done to completely redefined the banking system in Thailand?

Thanks - O

Hi Phil.

Thanks - O

They don't.

Try to send money form overseas to SCB. It will be processed by BKK bank (they and Kashikorn do international clearance for all Thai banks) and add up 2-5 days to settle into the SCB account.

Our old place was with Bangkok Bank and the rent was paid by overseas telegraphic transfer every month, on time, no exception, for almost 5 years.

New place is with SCB and I thought I was paying the rent. In the same fashion as I've been doing for years through BKK bank.

One day, the agent called asking us to vacate the premisses as the landlord had not received the rent for 2 months! Luckilly, I had the reports of successful transfers.

The manager in the branch looked at how I am sending money and it was all good, including swift code.

Now, wife goes to BKK bank ATM, takes the money out and goes into SCB branch to manually deposit it. That is all they understand - banking the way it was 100 years ago.

Second, example, a Uni that banks with SCB told my wife her attendance will be cancelled as the tuition fee had not arrived 17 days past the deadline. Tracking showed that BKK bank processed the transfer the day I sent it, delivered it ito SCB who did not bother to send a note to the recipient (they do them all once a month).

What a load of bull! I regularly transfer funds from my European bank to SCB and the money is usually in my account here within 24 hours without any intervention of other banks. Don't talk about things you don't know about.

As for your experience with service at the counter I can only say I have used both BB and SCB. The service is of course not always 100% good or bad but IN GENERAL the service I got with SCB is WAY better than BB, queues WAY SHORTER and staff WAY more POLITE!

Nope. I've used Thai ATM's about five times per month for the last 45 months, and I seldom even have a problem with receipts (maybe once per 5 months). Bangkok Bank is the best for giving 25K instead of a limit of 20K (or 25 bills instead of 20 bills), and I haven't had a problem.

Maybe it's your neighborhood of Bangkok, or your bank, although I haven't had problems when visiting Bangkok.

Hi PB,

You are probably already aware of the following but thought it worthwhile mentioning to others.

If you need more than the ATM limit (ie usually 10,000 or 20,000 or 25,000 baht), just make a second transaction in the same ATM. The baht limit is the amount per atm transaction usually, not per day. I didn't realize this until a Thai friend pointed it out that you can make multiple transactions.

The downside of this is when your bank charges you a fee per ATM withdrawal. In those cases, best to make a large withdrawal from a live person in the bank if possible to minimize atm charges. It only takes a few minutes.

BTW, I have used Bangkok Bank for 6 years and have been happy with the service.

Hi Phil.

Thanks - O

They don't.

What a load of bull! I regularly transfer funds from my European bank to SCB and the money is usually in my account here within 24 hours without any intervention of other banks. Don't talk about things you don't know about.

As for your experience with service at the counter I can only say I have used both BB and SCB. The service is of course not always 100% good or bad but IN GENERAL the service I got with SCB is WAY better than BB, queues WAY SHORTER and staff WAY more POLITE!

It's your bull. My family got almost evicted from our home and Uni cancelled because of SCB's mishaps and you are telling me I don't know what I am talking about.

I currently have two accounts with BB, I've held them for four years. At my branch in Phra Khanong the staff has been cordial and helpful since the day I walked in the door. It's obvious that if you treat people with respect you'll get it back.

WAY Phil.

-O

Had a BB account for 2 years, they are fine. As are their atms in general.

The only thing that I dont like is that if I get a out of Bangkok cheque I have to go the branch I have the account to deposit it. It may be because they are one of the 'main' branches, but i dont really understand why i have to do this.

Edited by longway