Mirror As A Gift

tom579

'what's the mirror all about?' It turns out it was a terrible gift and I caused offence,

This is infact a perfect gift for a Thai lady .. I can't see where you went wrong... unless the expectation was for something a lot more financially appealing.... in that case you've got questions to ask, but unrelated to the mirror.

On a recent trip back to the UK I bought a compact mirror for my Thai girlfriend. It is a proper gift; I bought it in a gift shop. I had no burning desire to buy her a mirror specifically, it was the nicest thing in the shop and it was easy to carry back and I was short of time. She didn't say much when I gave her the mirror. Yesterday her sister called and asked 'what's the mirror all about?' It turns out it was a terrible gift and I caused offence, although I couldn't quite understand why. The conversation ended up: 'perhaps you should call her and apologise'.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Are there any other 'wrong gifts' to avoid? I don't want to buy her chocolate all the time.

Thanks.

You did nothing wrong my friend, it simply sounds like your girlfriend is a "wrong un'. Time to start looking for a different one me thinks.

You did nothing wrong my friend, it simply sounds like your girlfriend is a "wrong un'. Time to start looking for a different one me thinks.

A bit extreme to toss someone aside over a gift exchange gone bad. Could be she was just having a bad day.

A bit extreme to toss someone aside over a gift exchange gone bad. Could be she was just having a bad day.

Sorry cdnvic but for her sister to be calling him up and asking him 'what was up with buying her a mirror' speaks volumes to me.

Warning sign for sure, but by all means disagree with my point of view.

I don't know if it's a "Thai" thing, but my wife likes gifts with actual, not sentimental value.

She says she doesn't like things with "no story"

Flowers fade, and chocolates get eaten.

Gold remains.

Seems to me Thais love gold, they all have many bahts worth stashed away.....it represents something concrete, an investment in your future....and can also be traded for cold hard cash!!

I know the old folks say not to give your partner perfume...as the scent fades so will your love for your partner.

You can not fail with gold.

Yes specialy the Isaan farmer ladies love gold, if they get enough money the run arround like a christmas tree with kgs of gold....

the more educated the smaller the gold gets......

h90, BambinA summed it up very nicely in another thread.

I think it's about something that the girl did not have it in past ,not stereotype for TH girls though.

For instance, a girl who comes from a poor family ;

-She has never have a gold necklace, now she has a chance for grabbing some Aurum.. she want 10Kg of golden chain not a necklace no more..and talk out loud

-She has never had even soi dog ,now she has 10 sick buffaloes and a walking ATM.

-She has never had many (nice) dishes for a meal ,but now she has a chance for it.

These kind of girls just want to do everything for covering their inferiority complex .

Sorry cdnvic but for her sister to be calling him up and asking him 'what was up with buying her a mirror' speaks volumes to me.

Warning sign for sure, but by all means disagree with my point of view.

I broke up with my ex because of the "dingbat sister" thing. Of course it turned out that she was the dingbat sister.

Does't matter what you give her, she won't be happy. The gold won't be heavy enough or expensive enough, the cash won't have enough 0's, the house won't be grand enough. None of these are essentially Thai traits. . .

Well said. The woman may be a little insecure. This really isn't about Thailand, but human character. I see over and over the foreigners trying to understand, adjust, and adapt to the girls in Thailand. It becomes too easy to cross the line and hand them power and control over you. Think about what you want in a relationship. Co-dependence or mutual respect?

I would ignore any signs of manipulation and insecurity from her and train her to think at a much higher level. I've had girlfriends that would act like that to me so I can understand you situation. Now they are someone else's problem. The good ones...the one you want to marry, will surprise you with unconditional love.

Edited by kyb789

give her cash not mirrors

Yeah, maybe I'll just set up a direct debit, make it really easy.

:o:D:D

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the - - - - of them all ??????????????????????????????

Not related to your choice of pressie Tom, it just came to mind. :D

marshbags