Mirror As A Gift

tom579

On a recent trip back to the UK I bought a compact mirror for my Thai girlfriend. It is a proper gift; I bought it in a gift shop. I had no burning desire to buy her a mirror specifically, it was the nicest thing in the shop and it was easy to carry back and I was short of time. She didn't say much when I gave her the mirror. Yesterday her sister called and asked 'what's the mirror all about?' It turns out it was a terrible gift and I caused offence, although I couldn't quite understand why. The conversation ended up: 'perhaps you should call her and apologise'.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Are there any other 'wrong gifts' to avoid? I don't want to buy her chocolate all the time.

Thanks.

On a recent trip back to the UK I bought a compact mirror for my Thai girlfriend. It is a proper gift; I bought it in a gift shop. I had no burning desire to buy her a mirror specifically, it was the nicest thing in the shop and it was easy to carry back and I was short of time. She didn't say much when I gave her the mirror. Yesterday her sister called and asked 'what's the mirror all about?' It turns out it was a terrible gift and I caused offence, although I couldn't quite understand why. The conversation ended up: 'perhaps you should call her and apologise'.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Are there any other 'wrong gifts' to avoid? I don't want to buy her chocolate all the time.

Thanks.

This isn't something I've ever heard of before and indeed my sister bought an expensive all-in-one compact mirror and make-up set for my Thai missus when we were last in England and it was very well received. Could it be that your missus is taking this as you trying to tell her that she isn't looking up to scratch these days and needs to see for herself what she's doing wrong? Just guessing here but that would seem like a reasonable theory.

Could it be that your missus is taking this as you trying to tell her that she isn't looking up to scratch these days and needs to see for herself what she's doing wrong? Just guessing here but that would seem like a reasonable theory.

That thought crossed my mind Bananaman, but I was in the airport and I had to shift to catch my plane. I decided to go with it. I will call her later, but I probably wont find out the real reason as she is quite shy. I wonder if there is some kind of superstition attached (perhaps not a very well known one).

I asked my wife, actually my wife was at a bad feeling and sorry I don't want to offend, just what she told:

"Nothing wrong with a mirror, but don't know what the buffaloes behind the mountains in Isaan may think, they belive many stupid things if there is a banana tree which looks different, than they also pray to it in the hope to win in the Lotterie"

So I think my wife has a bad day today, but she doesn't know anything about mirrors....

I asked my wife, actually my wife was at a bad feeling and sorry I don't want to offend, just what she told:

"Nothing wrong with a mirror, but don't know what the buffaloes behind the mountains in Isaan may think, they belive many stupid things if there is a banana tree which looks different, than they also pray to it in the hope to win in the Lotterie"

So I think my wife has a bad day today, but she doesn't know anything about mirrors....

:o thanks for asking h90, I hope the day gets better.

:o thanks for asking h90, I hope the day gets better.

I am waiting for a better day since 3 years......

what about in asking your GF what's wrong with that?

I will ask her, but I don't think she will tell me in case she offends me - everyone is just too polite! :o I'll ask her sister again, but I just wondered if there was a farang explanation that I'd have a chance of understanding.

Just asked Mrs Mobi if she'd be upset if I gave her a mirror as a present.

She replied that she'd be upset if I gave her anything as a present, as it's not something I have been known to do too often.

So she would suspect I was up to something! :o

She replied that she'd be upset if I gave her anything as a present, as it's not something I have been known to do too often.

So she would suspect I was up to something! :o

Mrs H90 same same. If I give her a present, she would think I made something very bad and she just does not know about it....

So she would suspect I was up to something! :D

Just make sure you are not coming back from the library wearing a red T shirt :o

My wife says that it's probably a combination of "think too much" and a little insecurity about either her looks, or ability to do hair/makeup correctly. Best thing is to just forget about it and chalk it up to experience. :o

I don't know if it's a "Thai" thing, but my wife likes gifts with actual, not sentimental value.

She says she doesn't like things with "no story"

Flowers fade, and chocolates get eaten.

Gold remains.

Seems to me Thais love gold, they all have many bahts worth stashed away.....it represents something concrete, an investment in your future....and can also be traded for cold hard cash!!

I know the old folks say not to give your partner perfume...as the scent fades so will your love for your partner.

You can not fail with gold.

Considering the amount of time Thai people spend looking into mirrors - checking their hair and general appearance - I would have thought a mirror from a gift shop - probably in a make-up bag would have been a well-received gift.

Peter

So she would suspect I was up to something! :D

Just make sure you are not coming back from the library wearing a red T shirt :D

It's the white ones that get me into trouble :o

I don't know if it's a "Thai" thing, but my wife likes gifts with actual, not sentimental value.

Gold remains.

Seems to me Thais love gold, they all have many bahts worth stashed away.....it represents something concrete, an investment in your future....and can also be traded for cold hard cash!!

I know the old folks say not to give your partner perfume...as the scent fades so will your love for your partner.

Yes specialy the Isaan farmer ladies love gold, if they get enough money the run arround like a christmas tree with kgs of gold....

the more educated the smaller the gold gets......

Mrs has informed me that it is because the woman will think you think she is not attractive & should do something about it.

Does't matter what you give her, she won't be happy. The gold won't be heavy enough or expensive enough, the cash won't have enough 0's, the house won't be grand enough. None of these are essentially Thai traits, but almost certainly gender specific. As long as the beer is cold, I don't worry.

Thanks.

Rather than apologize, this may serve as an opportunity to discuss the concept of gratitude, or lack thereof.

I asked a Thai friend yesterday about what to give and what not to give a Thai lady.

He told me the only thing NOT to give is a handkerchief as that was considered 'bad luck.' He said your girlfriend should be grateful for 'any gift' if the gift was 'from your heart.'

Peter

Thanks.

This isn't something I've ever heard of before and indeed my sister bought an expensive all-in-one compact mirror and make-up set for my Thai missus when we were last in England and it was very well received. Could it be that your missus is taking this as you trying to tell her that she isn't looking up to scratch these days and needs to see for herself what she's doing wrong? Just guessing here but that would seem like a reasonable theory.

so perfume would be received as "you think i smell"

or chocolate " you think i skinny''

perhaps cold hard cash will melt her heart :o

Gold remains.- But the money in my wallet does not :o

Edited by Donnyboy