Scandinavia visit

I wish I'd posted before a wasted half day at The Trendy Building the other day.

Briefly: I'm travelling to the UK and Scandinavia with my unmarried partner and our daughter (UK citizen). My partner has the UK visa and needs a Schengen visa. We're visiting Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland, starting in Denmark and finishing in Finland, where we will be staying the longest.

My partner should qualify for a free visa as she is travelling with our daughter for the entire trip.

We applied through VFS on Monday at the Danish section. I mistakenly believed you should apply at the country you first enter. It turned out I was wrong and they told us to apply at the Finnish section. They also showed concern that we were unmarried and that hotel bookings had not been provided, though all flight and ferry details were included.

Anyway, I hastily booked some cancellable hotel rooms with the intention of trying a walk-in at the Finnish section, however when I saw their required documents for such a visa, including financial statements and proof of employment, which we hadn't taken, we decided to call it a day. I could possibly have got the documents emailed but I'd then need a translation of the business paper and it would have all been too much of a rush.

So, it'll be applying for FInland in a week or so's time. My partner will be armed with all documents, including hotel bookings and financials, and I'm even going to provide my financials and credentials and buy an insurance policy (unfortunately our health insurance expires before we travel) just in case there's a problem with the free visa and she has to apply for a regular tourist visa.

I don't think that I should have any problems but if anyone's experienced any issues getting a Finnish visa, applying at the last country of a multiple country Schengen trip or have any tips please let me know.

Archived