Where Do You Come From ?

Crocs

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony0703 Posted on Tue 2004-07-13, 09:56:56 

Columbus originally found Scotland and he was from elsewhere too

Crhistopher Columbus I assume that the one your talking about, born Genoa Italy 1451!!

Are you trying to say that he discovered Scotland?? Robert the Bruce, William Wallace never existed then, or any Scotish Kings prior to Columbus discovery, mabye the romans did'nt build Hadriens wall.

Ireland is not part of Britian.

Northen Ireland, Wales, Scottland and England are. The Scottish Monarchy merged with the English Monarchy in 1603 when James VI of Scotland became James I of England.

I'm Welsh and dont mind being refered to as British, you would never here an Englishman refer to himself as British always English.

Mabye we should just say we'r Europeans :o

So appleman thai, an aggressive rude, smart arse little man would sum you up! "I know where you live" Oh do you? Geez, you just show some of the low intelligence we appear to have around here! Chill buddy! EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion! GET OVER IT!!! :o

Eh Tony0703...........

Maybe you want to check out your history and geography books.... thats if you ever made it to school!!!

Irish are certainly NOT British.......... you may be right with the Scots and the Welsh - but they will not want to be associated with the English...............

So get your facts right before I get the RA on you!

American here. Being totally ignorant to this whole discussion between you guys, can you tell me why Brits, Scots, Irish, Welsh, etc etc..dont like being called the other? I have heard this from an English friend of mine but he never fully explained it to me.

One of you smart guys set us all straight please.

Well, I dont know if you can class me as smart - but a smart-arse definitely!

Read below and it might give you an idea....... See, the English just cant seem to accept that their "Kingdom" is basically gone...... they no longer are the colonial power that they used to be.

From 1 January 1801 until 6 December 1922 Ireland as one unit was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1919, most Irish MPs elected in the 1918 British general election declined to take their seats in the British House of Commons. Instead they set up a rival extra-legal Irish parliament called Dáil Éireann. This Dáil in January 1919 issued a Unilateral Declaration of Independence in the name of a proclaimed Irish Republic. In reality this republic received no international recognition. After a bitterly fought Anglo-Irish War (also known as the Irish War of Independence) representatives of the British government and the Irish Republic's Aireacht (cabinet) in 1921 negotiated an Anglo-Irish Treaty and created a whole new system of legal Irish self government, known as dominion status.

A new internationally recognised Irish state called the Irish Free State (in the Irish language Saorstát Éireann) was created. The new Free State was in theory to cover the entire island, subject to the proviso that Northern Ireland (which had been created as a separate entity under the Government of Ireland Act 1920 could opt out and choose to remain part of the United Kingdom, which it duly did. The remaining 26 counties of Ireland became the Irish Free State, a constitutional monarchy over which the British monarch reigned (from 1927 with the title King of Ireland). It had a Governor-General, a bicameral parliament, a cabinet called the Executive Council and a prime minister called the President of the Executive Council. The constitution was called the Irish Free State Constitution.

On the 29 December 1937 a new constitution Bunreacht na hÉireann came into being. It replaced the Irish Free State by a new state called Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. Though this state's constitutional structures provided for a President of Ireland instead of a king, it was not a republic. The principal key role possessed by a head of state, that of representing the state symbolically internationally remained vested in statute law in the King as an organ. On 1 April 1949 the Republic of Ireland Act declared Éire a republic, with the functions previously given to the King given instead to the President of Ireland.

Though the official name of the state remained Éire,(Article 4, "The name of the state is Éire, or in the English language, Ireland") the term Republic of Ireland (officially just the description of the new state), came to be used as its name. While the Republic chooses to use the word Ireland to describe itself, particularly in the diplomatic sphere (thus it is always the President of Ireland and the Constitution of Ireland), many states avoid using that term because of the existence of a second Ireland, Northern Ireland, and because the 1937 constitution claimed that the south had jurisdiction over the north. Using the word 'Ireland' was taken as accepting that claim and so caused offence in Northern Ireland. That claim, in what was known as Articles 2 and 3 of the 1937 constitution, was repealed in 1999.

The Irish Free State/Éire remained a member of the British Commonwealth until the declaration of a republic in April 1949. Under Commonwealth rules declaration of a republic automatically terminates membership of the association. Only in 1950 were the rules were changed to allow India as a republic to remain in the Commonwealth. Although Ireland ceased to be a member and chose not to re-apply for membership, it retained many of the privileges of Commonwealth membership. To this day, for example, Irish citizens resident in the United Kingdom enjoy all the rights of citizenship, including the right to stand for office in local and parliamentary elections and to serve in the British forces.

Ireland joined the United Nations in 1955 and the European Economic Community (now called the European Union) in 1973. Irish governments have sought the peaceful unification of Ireland and have cooperated with Britain against the violent conflict between paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland known as the Troubles. A peace settlement for Northern Ireland, known as the Belfast Agreement and approved in 1998 in a vote in both the Republic and Northern Ireland, is currently being implemented.

Politics

Being a 'strine boy from FNQ it doen t worry me what you class the kiwis as.

I accept that most people could not tell the accent of a kiwi and an aussie apart, maybe even include sth african in there also.

but the same goes for you lot, all you blokes from the british isles area are referred to as pommy gits and both canadians and americans fit uder the one banner as seppos.

why it is such a big deal I don't know, but I don't give a sh1t.

:o

Even worse, the EU is devided by a common currency called pound and Euro.

The pound, I read, is the strongest, unchangable value in the world, it will always be 0.452 kgs.

No it's 0.45359237 kg :D

You also forget that that Denmark and the ten new members also don't use the Euro as yet. Give them time. :o

Even worse, the EU is devided by a common currency called pound and Euro.

The pound, I read, is the strongest, unchangable value in the world, it will always be 0.452 kgs.

No it's 0.45359237 kg :D

You also forget that that Denmark and the ten new members also don't use the Euro as yet. Give them time. :D

Come on, I gave already discouont, 0.452-0.453, lets not go into the .,..... :o

10 new members, well, well.

Denmark, I will not forget, went last year for a business-trip. Embarrassing, for half day did not change any money, so had none when it was my turn to buy a round :D

This year changed 50 Euro, was invited all the time so I bought some anti-freeze for the car and still have some Kroners with me in LoS. Seems, I must go again.

What do I do with myt Polish Slotys?

What do I do with myt Polish Slotys?

Maybe we could have a Poll :D (sorry!)

I was going to say Nobrucsky Polishnaya, but than I saw your last word ('Sorry!')

Peace, I just looked out of the window, the Poland embassy is still here in Bangkok, blocking my view to Gulliver's. Now you know, where I come from, a little loft a-top of Sukh Soi ha, with a view blocked by the embassy, otherwise I could have seen LC last Saturday...

Signing off, I just made 1500 posts, none without any sense. :o

Just been reading through some of these posts and there is not that many people here who actually do make sense Axel! Many many non-sensical and sensitive people here, I guess that where I have a problem trying to decipher what some people are actually attempting to say... :o:D:D:D

Irish are British, so are the Scots, Welsh and of course the English! ALL BRITISH! Where's the problem? :o

Tony, if you ever said this to the face of an Irishman or a Scott in a pub anywhere in the world, you'd get your bloody head bashed to a bloody pulp.

Be warned. This is how serious they are about this issue. That is where the problem is.

Im from Ulster and we are British. I could also say I come from Ireland duel nationality and all that.

Im from Ulster and we are British. I could also say I come from Ireland duel nationality and all that.

Hey, Irelandais, when you say that you are of "duel nationality" is that a Freudian slip?; i.e. the left footers and proddies are always shooting at each other.

Scouse.