Children Who Shout and / or Screech - what is the condition ? Is it similar to ADHD's ?

Speedo1968

I am aware of the condition ADHD’s in children as I have taught a number of them with ages between 7 to 11 years.      The eldest was in his 20’s with some signs of having ADHD’s at an earlier period in his life.

They have all been male.  One had a father who spoke of his own condition as a young child, another farm seemed as though he had had the condition itself.

The only female was a 13 year old sister of two boys aged 7 and 11, the younger already showing atypical signs and the elder growing out of the condition.   The sister, although not with the condition itself did seem to show signs of a form of defense mechanism against the possible outbursts of the youngest brother, i.e. throwing things.

A more recent case, although not a student of mine but son of a family I know has acted with extreme violence to a much younger brother.

In all cases except one did a parent acknowledge the condition of their child.

Strangely enough, when I spent a few months in another area of Thailand there was a community of people from where I had lived before, a number of these children also had ADHD’s.

However, this posting is about children who shout or screech when talking, something I am noticing more and more in my local area.

Mainly with boys again, especially the shouting.    Age groups seem to be 5 – 12 years but have noticed in ages up to late 20's. 

I notice it within the older community but then more with women than men.

The shouting seems to be as a normal part of conversation with whoever the child talks with.   This is especially so where an older child shouts at a younger one causing them to cry.    There is anger in the older child’s voice and a threatening stance.   Sometimes even against a parent.    The younger child is often in the care of an a older child.

I acknowledge that shouting is often a part of everyday banter / family life in Thailand, that the Thai language seems to be louder than in that of the UK, where I am originally from.      I have lived most of my life since 1968 outside the UK in different countries.

My local area here in Thailand has a very mixed standard of life and community, that alcohol seems to be common, as is the male partner doing little to support the children / family either physically, emotionally or financially.

If I had to compare it with other countries I have been to / lived in it is more like the slums of London in the 1940’s to 1960’s, but without the friendliness or, the better favelas of Brazil without the cleanliness or often pride in their community.

Can anyone advise what condition the child may have that exhibits such shouting and screeching ?

This may not be the problem...but it is worth investigating...

Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, stereotyped, involuntary movements and vocalizations called tics.

It's now quite common to attribute bad parenting and the associated bad behaviour of the offspring with a trendy diagnosis.  

I suspect the big pharma companies are in on the act.  

Children Who Shout and / or Screech - what is the condition ?

If its a female child - most likely not a condition, just training for later years.

Seriously though, children are born with an empty head - they fill it with what they learn from those around them. My daughter screams and shouts at her kids when they misbehave - now they scream and shout back. Neither me or her mum shouted at her when she was younger - I believe her problem is stress caused by having 3 children too young and the resulting social and financial pressures.

Far too many claims of this condition and that condition these days, whilst some may exist, I think most are the result of poor parenting. If you teach a child that the reaction to something they've done is to scream and shout - don't be surprised when they do the same.

From what I have seen here its usually an overdose of sugar and chemicals, the parents feed the kids coke and other crappy drinks and foods then wonder why they are running around in circles stimulated by caffeine and sugar at an age when they should be getting none! :ohmy:

3 hours ago, CGW said:

From what I have seen here its usually an overdose of sugar and chemicals, the parents feed the kids coke and other crappy drinks and foods then wonder why they are running around in circles stimulated by caffeine and sugar at an age when they should be getting none! :ohmy:

Spot on. Imbalance between ying and yang, too much meat, too much sugar.

Whenever i see unruly and noisy children, most of the times i find out that their diet is awful.

Sugar is one of the worst poisons, and it's highly addictive too.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

With all the chemicals/medications in it, possibly.

Possible, but i was mostly referring at the ying/yang qualities of the food, excess of yang resulting in excess of demand of ying.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Possible, but i was mostly referring at the ying/yang qualities of the food, excess of yang resulting in excess of demand of ying.

You've lost me.  I agree on the sugar but meat is going a bit far in my considered opinion.  

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I prefer McD's Ying burger to B King's Yang burger.   LOL

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Not my problem, carry on.

When was the last time you heard health professionals deem kids are eating too much meat other than the vegan brigade?  You're very short on detail.

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

When was the last time you heard health professionals deem kids are eating too much meat other than the vegan brigade?  You're very short on detail.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

all you really need to do is look at what their parents allow them to eat/drink and what they let them get away with at home, more boys because they are "nung" and told they are better than everyone else so they act like it. They yell and scream because thats how they get attention when they want something, they drink so much sugary drinks they become hyper active. You can see it everyday if you look for it especially at restaurants on an evening, the kids are little mongrels the way they carry on, the parents refuse to bring them into line or chastise them because they are usually too busy on their phones with the rest of their kids, seems to be a real thai thing

Many times,  behavioural problems such as shouting and tantrums and violent outbursts are accompanied by hyperactivity ADD/ADHD they run hand in hand, however ADHD/add can present  without the other behavioural stuff.

It may be that the kids are retarded (socially) or have been traumatized somehow...they may live in an environment that makes this worse (abusive parents/ no parents etc.)

32 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll erase that point from your initial assertion then.  Sugar was relevant though.

As with all things sugar is required in moderation.  Meat is nearly there but I suspect the saturated fats is more the point.

The attached photo was taken in the local food court on Saturday and my wife has him down at 7/8 years old.  Mum brings fatty his lunch and that was it.  Proceeded to stuff his face with pork sausages and deep fried chicken the whole time.  No balance to his diet for sure.  Early death on the cards at the very least if his diet doesn't improve.

jqa_gjvo.jpeg.jpg

4 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

As with all things sugar is required in moderation.  Meat is nearly there but I suspect the saturated fats is more the point.

I made my point on diet already, other posters pointed at too many hours watching telly, others pointed at lack of supervision from parents, all valid points imo.

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I made my point on diet already, other posters pointed at too many hours watching telly, others pointed at lack of supervision from parents, all valid points imo.

If you don't want to involve yourself in a reasonable and balanced debate and can't handle the responses then maybe don't post in the first place.  You seem a bit defensive and come across as having an inferiority complex, if I'm honest.

I didn't barrack you and was quite gentle.  

5 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

If you don't want to involve yourself in a reasonable and balanced debate and can't handle the responses then maybe don't post in the first place.  You seem a bit defensive and come across as having an inferiority complex, if I'm honest.

I didn't barrack you and was quite gentle.  

Some people..

After several intensive studies in well known universities involving hundreds of children who can make a sustained high pitch scream , experts have named the condition  BALB syndrome.

Bl**dy Annoying Little Bast**ds

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No, they are just spoilt little shits who have not been taught any manners by their parents.

Harsh  but  true.

Thai in general demonstrate little of what may be  called  decorum in the  sense of sense of communication.

It seems accepted  that blatant  interruption  of  conversations with  loud  demand  for immediate attention is  normal in the  general population of adult social peers. Given that there  also exists  the  mentality that "my"  children are beyond  critisicm those  same  children quickly  demonstrate the ability  to  abuse the  situation.

Why  do I say  abuse?

In the past  I  had a  gutfull of  my  step daughter "barging" in  on a  conversation with  my wife.

So I asked  her if she would  do that with  her school teacher? The  answer  was  no.  So why not?

Because  She/He  is  "superior". I  must  give  respect or  be  punished.

So  why is  the teacher  superior  to  your  mother  or  myself?

Because  that is the  "teacher".

So  you say your  mother and  myself  are  lower than the  teacher and do not  need  respect?

No , no you  are  my  Mum and Dad !

Huh ? I do  not  understand  what  you  say.

" I do  not  understand why you do  not  know."

Know  what?

You are  my  Mum and Dad. You give  me what I want.

Hmmm. Do  you understand there is a difference  between  "want" and "need".

Is  same.

Hmmm. Ok.  I am  going  to  teach  you the difference. But  while  you are learning  that  I  can tell  you  from now  I will  not  tolerate  you interrupting  me or  your  Mum  when we are  talking  unless you are  in danger  of  death! ( Translated  in  support   by  my  wife).

15  years  on it still happens but she is  now used  to  being  ignored  until acknowledged.

It  is  an ingrained  part  of  sectors  of Thai  society. Behaviours are  mostly  learned.

The  convenience of  labelling as ADHD  etc is mostly a product  of profitable  pharmaceutical profiteering  with  complicient  "agents" in the  form of   "Ex-spurts" who  have  little impact  in Thailand in the  face  of   systemic social and  cultural  "norms".

In Thailand the  degree  of  social  behaviour  that is  accepted is generally equivalent  to  the  social status of  the  parents.

In the  western world ( US  predominantly) the degree of  social behaviour that is  accepted  is not so  different despite the  prescription  of   "control"  medications  from a  very sad  age.

Children  who  shout  and  scream?  Anywhere  people have the incentive  to do that. Who listens  to what they shout and scream  about?  Children  are  last on the list adults  really  listen to in the way this  world  works.

9 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Harsh  but  true.

Thai in general demonstrate little of what may be  called  decorum in the  sense of sense of communication.

It seems accepted  that blatant  interruption  of  conversations with  loud  demand  for immediate attention is  normal in the  general population of adult social peers. Given that there  also exists  the  mentality that "my"  children are beyond  critisicm those  same  children quickly  demonstrate the ability  to  abuse the  situation.

Why  do I say  abuse?

In the past  I  had a  gutfull of  my  step daughter "barging" in  on a  conversation with  my wife.

So I asked  her if she would  do that with  her school teacher? The  answer  was  no.  So why not?

Because  She/He  is  "superior". I  must  give  respect or  be  punished.

So  why is  the teacher  superior  to  your  mother  or  myself?

Because  that is the  "teacher".

So  you say your  mother and  myself  are  lower than the  teacher and do not  need  respect?

No , no you  are  my  Mum and Dad !

Huh ? I do  not  understand  what  you  say.

" I do  not  understand why you do  not  know."

Know  what?

You are  my  Mum and Dad. You give  me what I want.

Hmmm. Do  you understand there is a difference  between  "want" and "need".

Is  same.

Hmmm. Ok.  I am  going  to  teach  you the difference. But  while  you are learning  that  I  can tell  you  from now  I will  not  tolerate  you interrupting  me or  your  Mum  when we are  talking  unless you are  in danger  of  death! ( Translated  in  support   by  my  wife).

15  years  on it still happens but she is  now used  to  being  ignored  until acknowledged.

It  is  an ingrained  part  of  sectors  of Thai  society. Behaviours are  mostly  learned.

The  convenience of  labelling as ADHD  etc is mostly a product  of profitable  pharmaceutical profiteering  with  complicient  "agents" in the  form of   "Ex-spurts" who  have  little impact  in Thailand in the  face  of   systemic social and  cultural  "norms".

In Thailand the  degree  of  social  behaviour  that is  accepted is generally equivalent  to  the  social status of  the  parents.

In the  western world ( US  predominantly) the degree of  social behaviour that is  accepted  is not so  different despite the  prescription  of   "control"  medications  from a  very sad  age.

Children  who  shout  and  scream?  Anywhere  people have the incentive  to do that. Who listens  to what they shout and scream  about?  Children  are  last on the list adults  really  listen to in the way this  world  works.

An excellent analysis. The comment about social status seems to be especially relevant. I occasionally live in a Thai village where all the children give their elders respect. Of course, they can't afford ADHD pharmaceuticals.

Archived