Battery Powered Drills

ratcatcher

Hi,

This is the closest forum I can find that may have a few experts from the U.K. that are familiar with this kit and can answer my questions.

Several years ago, a friend of mine, since deceased, gave me a Nu-Tool drill kit.

It has 3 14.4 V Ni-Cad batteries as can be seen in the images. The charger works, but I don't think it will work on Lithium Ion batteries..

My questions are:

1. Can this type of battery be rebuilt using Lithium batteries, or alternatively can they be replaced with new NiCad batts?

2. Are there companies in Thailand that do this sort of work?

3. Is it prohibitively expensive? Is it worth it?  The tools have never been used. 

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance   ratcatcher

IMG_20190506_123053.thumb.jpg.a19741039dafbfba3ec23c95bff8f8ad.jpgIMG_20190506_123035.thumb.jpg.998df28904fcfc5eb7e4499fe79a3065.jpgIMG_20190506_123112.thumb.jpg.181cbd5bdf8c638326f1833a3163a707.jpg

There are a number of similar generic drills on sale on Lazada.  You can look for a similar looking and spec battery and try it. 7  day return if it doesn't work.   

I bought a similar one of the generic power drill sets W/2 batteries for around B1200 several years ago.  Doesn't get used a lot but the batteries seem to hold charge well and it's good for small jobs.

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I think best to save all the problems and buy a new unit, fairly cheap here and suitable for the handy man./

I hear you mate, but I have an 18v Ryobi and I use it all the time, but these are lighter and my wife hates to bin them. So much for our consumer society. 

But thanks for the input.

Its worth refurbishing batteries if your tools are a quality brand and you can source decent cells. Each of your batteries will require 12 cells.

My brother-in-law refurbished two Makita 18V batteries where the 30 cells cost over $60 carried in from Europe. 

I believe some Amorn stores offer a service but not sure about the quality of the cells.

12 x 2200mAh SubC NiCd cells from China through ebay around 700 Baht quality unknown.

When the Hitachi battery drill batteries packed up that brought from UK replacement was a high price so bought a Bison battery drill from Global Hse 1000 baht + something been doing some heavy building work with it, when they say it's only for home use.

If the batteries pack up I'll buy another one and have 2 drills and 2 more new batteries. 

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

I hear you mate, but I have an 18v Ryobi and I use it all the time, but these are lighter and my wife hates to bin them. So much for our consumer society. 

But thanks for the input.

Like me, I'm from the old school, still have tools from when I was an apprentice nearly 60 years ago, still usable in some case,  cared for and maintained, but for the modern junk, if it plays up- it goes in the bin. 

Archived