Customers Who Don't Pay Or Cause Trouble

I tried to get this topic going in another thread in another section but got little response, but it is a vital concern:

What does the proprietor/manager of a retail food service operation in thailand do about troublesome customers?

1. someone who won't pay

2. drunks who come in either to cause trouble or who are just so drunk they are a nuisance

3. someone who wants to start a fight

4. someone bothering the workers

5. someone bothering the owner

Does one deal with a Thai troublemaker differently from a farang?

sarpesius

simple answer.......stun gun. Available at Zeer Rangsit or any reputable arms dealer on the streets of Bangkok for 900b (for a nice chinese one which doesnt go off in your pocket)

KD :lol:

Where is Zeer Rangsit?

I once got a lousy 5 inch stun gun from a stall under the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai.

It cracked after about 3 shots, so you can't even test them.

Or do they sell real police grade stun guns?

sarpesius

I used to eat at Somasak's restaurant on Pattaya Soi 1. Somas together with the very much missed Dolf Ricks had set up the first western style restaurant in Pattaya back in the Vietnam War era, he has therefore more years of experience in the business than perhaps anyone in Thailand.

Somsak, like myself, is also a classical music fan and would often have classical music playing in his restaurant.

We were discussing this one day, me asking how western classical music went down with his Thai customers.

'Well' he said ' I don't play classical music for other people's enjoyment, I play it to set the right ambience'.

He then went on to explain with colorful examples how over his years in business he had come to understand the importance of getting the right ambience, how the right ambience sets the right behavior and the wrong ambience sets the wrong behavior.

To explain further he said this first came to his notice when years ago his restaurant used to have different music on different nights. Jazz nights, Rhythm and Blues Nights and Rock n Roll nights. He soon noticed that the Rock n Roll nights where fight nights and the other nights where peaceful.

So I think the answer to your question is to take a look at what it is you are doing that is attracting trouble.

I'm sure what ever you do you'll get the odd problem customer, but if its a regular thing then there must be something attracting the trouble that comes your way.

Oh and incase you are interested. Dolf Ricks

Edited by GuestHouse

Where is Zeer Rangsit?

Zeer is an out of town version of Pantip, much more spacious, cheaper and less hassle. It is located under the Asia Airport Hotel in Rangsit, past the old airport. Get the train to Rangsit then a taxi.

Not seen Tazers there though, where are they located?

I tried to get this topic going in another thread in another section but got little response, but it is a vital concern:

What does the proprietor/manager of a retail food service operation in thailand do about troublesome customers?

1. someone who won't pay

2. drunks who come in either to cause trouble or who are just so drunk they are a nuisance

3. someone who wants to start a fight

4. someone bothering the workers

5. someone bothering the owner

Does one deal with a Thai troublemaker differently from a farang?

sarpesius

Obviously you already know from your "business model" what type of customers you're going to get at your cafe :o

RAZZ