Video: Tour bus driver confronts girlfriend - passengers get off in fear of their lives

webfact

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

what is a bar steward?

The person who makes  sure the filtered ice cubes are placed in your glass before your chilled 42 Below is poured in

Edited by RJRS1301

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Whats all the excitement about?

Just another crazy bar steward of a bus driver being a stupid pr++k.

is that maybe a bit too much of generalization? What % percentage of bus drivers are crazy bar stewards and are stupid pricks?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, bangkok12345 said:

is that maybe a bit too much of generalization? What % percentage of bus drivers are crazy bar stewards and are stupid pricks?

My wife has translated this guy's punishment having watched the news and was 10k fine and lost his job.  I feel quite sorry for him to be honest.

He didn't kill anyone which makes a nice change.  

27 minutes ago, bangkok12345 said:

By my calculation, 11.36% to the nearest 2 decimal places.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, that is an impolite way to say "I" or "me".

But it seems friends also use that word with each other. It's difficult...

Since the meaning of กู cannot be directly translated into English, I think it’s fair to use something like “bloody” here so the tone of the statement gets conveyed. He isn’t just saying “will you ไหว้ me”; using กู with his girlfriend he is clearly saying it in a hostile way. 

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Since the meaning of กู cannot be directly translated into English, I think it’s fair to use something like “bloody” here so the tone of the statement gets conveyed. He isn’t just saying “will you ไหว้ me”; using กู with his girlfriend he is clearly saying it in a hostile way. 

Maybe you can explain the following:

I know Thais use goo and mueng when they insult each other.

And I know it should never be used with strangers if you don't want to upset them.

But I heard friends (two girls in an office) use those words while friendly talking to each other.

I asked my Thai gf about this and she confirmed that friends use it with each other. Strange - at least for me.

Do you have some insight into this or a similar English example?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I know it should never be used with strangers if you don't want to upset them.

But I heard friends (two girls in an office) use those words while friendly talking to each other.

I asked my Thai gf about this and she confirmed that friends use it with each other. Strange - at least for me.

Thanks

I have, but I would get sent on holiday for writing them here....????

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I don’t have an English example. Like I said, I think it’s one of the words that don’t have a direct translation in English. It’s true that close friends us with each other. You wouldn’t use it with your girlfriend/spouse/wife though. I think the best comparison would be how you may call your buddies jokingly “you f***er” or something but never your girlfriend. 

So, I think using “bloody” here just to convey the tone and that he is not just asking in factual way whether she will wai him but actually in an insulting and hostile way is fair enough. I wouldn’t know how to do it better. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

For some reason, alot of Thai men seem to have very low self awareness. Maybe they just do not know how to reflect, introspect, look within for the source of the problem, take responsibility for issues they have caused, or how to examine their shortcomings. This is something alot of real men learn to do. Most of these are Buddhist precepts, yet there is little of it in practice.

So, we are often exposed to men just losing it, when they simply do not have the emotional maturity to deal with it, or process what is going on. Alot of work needs to be done, to allow many of these men to become well developed human beings, and real men. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

For some reason, alot of Thai men seem to have very low self awareness. Maybe they just do not know how to reflect, introspect, look within for the source of the problem, take responsibility for issues they have caused, or how to examine their shortcomings. This is something alot of real men learn to do. Most of these are Buddhist precepts, yet there is little of it in practice.

So, we are often exposed to men just losing it, when they simply do not have the emotional maturity to deal with it, or process what is going on. Alot of work needs to be done, to allow many of these men to become well developed human beings, and real men. 

When you see how Thai children are sometimes allowed to behave in public - particularly young boys - it is hardly surprising self-control is not high on the agenda. It gets passed down the generations, because there are no decent role models.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

No, that is an impolite way to say "I" or "me".

But it seems friends also use that word with each other. It's difficult...

So he was speaking impolitely (or expressly informally) about a formal token of politeness. Isn't that "bloody"?