Dual Pricing again, but different!

gaviolit

Curious question.

On another thread about Chinese tourists taking over condos, one poster said that Chinese are treated as "superior" to farang and get away with things they shouldn't because Thais don't dare question them because they "might have connections" but then in the same breath he insinuated that farang don't, which is why we can't get away with the same things. In other words, he was implying that farang are relatively poorer and less well connected than Chinese; even though the average Chinese is about as well known as the average farang.

That's ironic, because for some bizarre reason many Thais think of farang as rich (or at least richer) than Chinese, as this post where the OP was asked to pay a higher price for entry shows.

Anyway, why is a white skinned foreigner, who may have no more than $500 to his name for a month of backpacking through Thailand and an ability to afford his cheap ticket to the country considered "rich" and deserving of being charged more than a Thai, when there are millions of middle class Thais - owning 16 million cars (out of a total population of 69 million), and an ability to afford overseas holidays, who own smartphones and may earn a good US$1500 or more per month, and many much, much more?

On 5/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, khunPer said:

I would never get upset paying 100 baht being a "farang" instead of 50 baht Thai-price for historical parks, museum and like – I would be happy to contribute to keep these sites going, and it's not the number on the money, but the principle, wherefore I also gladly pay my 500 baht (I think it was last time) at Grand Palace, whilst my daughter and my Thai girlfriend walks in for free – and yes, I've been several times to Phanum Rung, and enjoyed it every time. 

We farangs are aliens, and will – because of the way we look – always be aliens; just something we have to accept as fact, even we try to mingle in with yellow house books and pink plastic cards (I also have them). Furthermore I would never let 50 baht spoil what could be an excellent day...????

I wouldn't call being discriminated against on the basis of my skin color something to look forward to. It would destroy my day, if anything. Imagine if Thais were asked to pay more to visit the Grand Canyon than Americans. Maybe they should be...to make things even.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, losworld said:

Yeah in a country that basically doesn't allow anoyone to become a citizen except for a few with connections.

You can become a citizen in 3 other ways 1) go through the official procedures although it's a bit tedious but can be done 2) if you're a farang woman marry a Thai and become an instant citizen or 3) bribe your way to citizenship (although I have heard this is being cracked down upon).

On 5/8/2019 at 9:10 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Life's far too short particularly when you can drive / ride down the road and visit somewhere else.  Or bite the bullet and enjoy your day out.  

I've experienced dual pricing on many occasions and have just paid up.  It wasn't much money to be honest and invariably enjoyed my visit.  I've even been to the Grand Palace on more than one occasion and it's a nice afternoon out.  

It's not a nice afternoon out anymore with 90% of visitors now being pushy Chinese tour groups.

Although you can always enter through the first gate and take a few pictures for free then get out, which my Chinese visitors decided to do when they found out there would be a 500 Baht per person charge to get in. There's not much more you're going to get for your money after paying the 500 Baht, just more hordes of tourists.

40 minutes ago, Delight said:

I would expect to pay Thai prices if I was on Thai wages

I am not

Nor is any Farang !

Many are. Don't make ridiculous assumptions. Quite a large number of Thais are much wealthier than many of the farang who live here. I can't remember the last time I saw a farang driving a Ferrari in Thailand. As far as I'm aware, virtually all the well to do people driving such vehicles here are Thais.