Khun Pim Citylife adds her voice to the air pollution crisis.

jko

1 hour ago, jko said:

Those who can leave, have left.

Much as I love Chiang Mai, I am mystified as to why anyone with options would stay there in January, February, March, April and, now it appears, May.

I understand that a job might tie you down, but does it really pay that much more than you would earn elsewhere in Thailand?

Having a family there, sure, but why wouldn't you want to protect their health too?

I will continue to enjoy a few months in Chiang Mai every year, but it is no longer somewhere to live permanently.

• Like 2

Change does happen in Thailand it's just very slow. Maybe like anywhere else in the world.

I would like to point out that there has been improvement in some areas.

The media is making pollution a big issue.

People are becoming more aware of the danger of pollution and are wearing masks that's a positive.

In the short term it will probably get worse.

Change will eventually come. Much too slow for all of us.

You can jump ship or make some effort and put pressure on the authorities to take action.

If all of us made a little effort I believe it would have impact.

It's easy to feel powerless but that's easily changed if you take some action.

Edited by THAIJAMES

A lot of business are already effected

Maybe these people can use there vote at the next elections

Many foreigners are abandoning Chiang Mai

It will also impact on future people wanting to come here to live

The Whole Thai situation is seen through colured glasses

Start by mulching most of there waste

Check all these smoking vehicles around the country

I see many around Chaing Mai spewing out smoke from there vehicles

Where is the Pollution Laws

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

I agree with Pim but unfortunately I think nothing will be done. I think basically those with the power to do something simply do not care. Unfortunately for things to get done I believe the whole Thai system and culture needs a massive overhaul. Basically the system seems broken to me. I am concentrating on an escape plan rather than anything else and I have lived here for 30 yrs. I know many feel the same way as I do.

Our escape plan starts with selling our house which would give us the financial flexibility which we don't have now.

Of course easier said than done with the current state of affairs in Chiangmai and the house being of age and price range (5 beds pool,fair sized plot etc) that reduces potential buyers.

Checking the pollution in CM from my home country daily now I am just speechless, May 10 now and still red.

Maximum I stay is one more year / visa round which would be August 2020 for me.

Thinking about all the effort for a new visa (trip to Laos) and the Thai Baht super-strong again when I just checked, I am thinking about just donating more stuff than I planned and leaving in December when my condo contract runs out in CM.

In the past few months when I was in CM I already got rid of many stuff - preparing to leave, just a matter of when now.

• Like 2

tigerbeer I feel sorry for your wifes friend, RIP.

Unfortunately most Thais will not admit / want to see that it could be related to the pollution. Some of my Thai friends in CM complain on a weekly basis that they get sick or have headaches. When I mention it is likely because of the pollution, people ignore that comment.

It is really sad, I like the city CM but it is better to just travel there in the rainy season and not live there.

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

Our escape plan starts with selling our house which would give us the financial flexibility which we don't have now.

Of course easier said than done with the current state of affairs in Chiangmai and the house being of age and price range (5 beds pool,fair sized plot etc) that reduces potential buyers.

We are too hatching an escape plan but very difficult to know what the market is doing. Nobody in real estate is going to talk the market down.Has the increased pollution had any effect,anyone had an enforced or planned sale recently,any feedback ?

22 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

We are too hatching an escape plan but very difficult to know what the market is doing. Nobody in real estate is going to talk the market down.Has the increased pollution had any effect,anyone had an enforced or planned sale recently,any feedback ?

My landlady just sold the town house I live in her original price was 3.5mil, she sold for 2.6mil. I would say prices are coming down/

The place across from me in town is still for sale at 25m. No takers for the last 3 yrs. Quite a few viewers 2-3 yrs ago but no one looking the past year.

Out in Hang Dong there were some big Chinese investors about 4-5 years ago but now very quiet. Probably just as much to do with economy as pollution.

This is what happens when you get a societal shift to big scale development . Put everyone in the AC, malls, in vehicles. Get them as far away as possible from environmental reality.

However they can only be in a state of perpetual denial for so long.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, watgate said:

It's nice to vent your frustrations and concerns but the bottom line is nothing is being done and nothing is going to be done about the out of control burning and resultant toxic air. Just like with what happened with the outcry over the building of the judiciary's houses on Doi Suthep the same will happen with the burning. The powers to be pay lip service to the outcries but nothing is ever done. It is apparent that a lot of money is being made by the wealthy and so cares about the masses as they are being poisoned to death with all the toxic air. The supposed solutions to the out of control burning are ludicrous and the silence from the government is deafening. The only recourse is to get out of chiang mai during the burning season which seems to be getting longer each year. It is easy to blame neighboring countries for the toxic air but all one has to do  is look at satellite images during the burning season to see the countless hotspots all throughout the north to understand the reality of the situation. 

Well said, watgate, and, unfortunately, I'd have to agree.  Perhaps the only way change would happen is if someone organized a massive protest gathering, with lots of children and elderly visible among the protesters.  And (very importantly), the organizers were very proactive in getting international media to cover the mass protest.  But, as the burning season is now winding down, a large, organized protest would need to happen in the future and during another horrendous burning season like this year.

It's nice to vent your frustrations and concerns but the bottom line is nothing is being done and nothing is going to be done about the out of control burning and resultant toxic air. Just like with what happened with the outcry over the building of the judiciary's houses on Doi Suthep the same will happen with the burning. The powers to be pay lip service to the outcries but nothing is ever done. It is apparent that a lot of money is being made by the wealthy and so cares about the masses as they are being poisoned to death with all the toxic air. The supposed solutions to the out of control burning are ludicrous and the silence from the government is deafening. The only recourse is to get out of chiang mai during the burning season which seems to be getting longer each year. It is easy to blame neighboring countries for the toxic air but all one has to do  is look at satellite images during the burning season to see the countless hotspots all throughout the north to understand the reality of the situation. 

Early graves and major health issues in years to come for all those living in the toxic Hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jayjay2001 said:

Well said, watgate, and, unfortunately, I'd have to agree.  Perhaps the only way change would happen is if someone organized a massive protest gathering, with lots of children and elderly visible among the protesters.  And (very importantly), the organizers were very proactive in getting international media to cover the mass protest.  But, as the burning season is now winding down, a large, organized protest would need to happen in the future and during another horrendous burning season like this year.

Pim and others did arrange a protest last year but she was threatened with arrest. So it had to be called off at the last minute.

One major fault with Thai culture is that Thais (especially officialdom) do not "do" criticism. It is seen as confrontation.

Instead of analysing and debating the issues at hand they quash or have a knee jerk reaction to the bringing forth of any type of debate which can involve awkward questions.

I suppose in this case the population is supposed to just die quietly.

About the only thing to do, is to buy shares in the air purifier manufacturers and then get out of the area/country for at least 3 months.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Pim and others did arrange a protest last year but she was threatened with arrest. So it had to be called off at the last minute.

Sad, but not surprising.

50 minutes ago, cmsally said:

About the only thing to do, is to buy shares in the air purifier manufacturers...

Good one ????