Best oil for fans?

Stuart21

I have quite a few floor fans. Lubes only seem to last a few months - using Singer sewing m/c oil and / or SOnax w MOS2.

All seem to slow down & eventually not start, & if you miss it, the motor can burn out - ;-(

Does anybody know what is the best oil for fans? 

Just now, oilinki said:

I think my Cheapo fans (two on process to be fixed) doesn't have those good sealed roller bearings. 

Would vaseline be better than oil? Are there differences between different type of vaselines and which should be taken in to account when selecting one?

I use vasoline all the time on them. I am not saying it is best but i use it. It is probably not viscous enough to last very long though. 

6 hours ago, oilinki said:

I think my Cheapo fans (two on process to be fixed) doesn't have those good sealed roller bearings. 

Would vaseline be better than oil? Are there differences between different type of vaselines and which should be taken in to account when selecting one?

No Vaseline is a very poor lubricant in your case,  a Lithium grease would be better.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Where can one buy that Lithium grease in Thailand? How much does it cost?

I've definitely seen a spray on lithium grease, just not WD40 branded which I didn't know existed until I did a search for my first image.

It wasn't expensive and IIRC I found it in Tesco of all places.

EDIT Your problem, if you want to do a long lasting job, is getting the lubricant into the sintered bronze bearing. The manufacturing process uses heat and vacuum.

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

Does lithium grease mean WD-40?

The regular WD-40 is not designed as a good lubricant and does a poor job when used as one, unfortunately many people think that it is and use it in place of one. It does have some oils in it but it is far better at freeing frozen (rust not cold) items than as an ongoing lubricant.

It and duct tape are great for temporary fixes.

IMG_7362.PNG.19ffa613e4d29b13995f584fcb4ffce8.PNG

• Haha 1

Light machine oil ( sewing machine oil) is best for the sintered bush. A couple of drops into the felt wick every year will do wonders if you can get to them. The WD40 spray on grease is like the stuff they sprayed in your car panels when u got it rustproofed.
Ball bearings use high speed grease either lithium or polyurea base

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Wirejerker said:

The WD40 spray on grease is like the stuff they sprayed in your car panels when u got it rustproofed. 

Nobody has had a need for getting extra rustproofing for cars since they started using galvanised steel for most body and frame components, in the 1980's for Japanese and 1990's for western cars. So 20 to 30 years ago minimum since anyone got any significant benefits from aftermarket rustproofing. It's just snake oil.

FWIW the grease isn't Lithium based, it has a Lithium based soap added to it for added adhesion.

Edited by sometimewoodworker