Trial date set for Elon Musk's 'pedo guy' tweet

rooster59

On 5/12/2019 at 1:28 AM, atyclb said:

the whole thing is the techno age equivalent to a bar room spat. lets face it thailand does have quite a bit of infamy and world reputation for the sex business, trafficking and yes, also known to attract pedo's and locals that are involved in procurement.

so if musk was pissed at the stick a metal tube up his xxx that was made on cnn, countering with another vulgarity isn't that harsh.

if unsworth called musk a pedo i doubt he'd take any action since he's got bigger fish to fry.  if someone called me that it would enter one ear and exit the other because i too have bigger fish to fry. call me insensitive.  relatively speaking what gets me really upset are all the ripoff taxis refusing to use meter and/or quoting an outrageous fare.

"if unsworth called musk a pedo i doubt he'd take any action since he's got bigger fish to fry"

If it became world news and people started digging into his background and private life, I would expect he would take legal action to protect his image as to ignore it could be taken as a sign that there was some truth in the comment. Tesla is partly built on the cult of Musk. If brand Musk became tarnished Tesla could loose millions in lost sales. How much did that joint cost?

"countering with another vulgarity isn't that harsh."

It was not a "vulgarity", it was specific unproven accusations that are highly damaging. You also are ignoring the massive power balance between these two. If Vern had made the same accusations they would probably have been insignificant and not gone any further unless Musk responded. Musks comments are seen by millions around the world, Vern would never have been able to get away from it being brought up for the rest of his life. So if he made no attempt to publicly disprove what Musk said it would reinforce peoples thoughts that there is no smoke without fire.

"if someone called me that it would enter one ear and exit the other" unlike the odd taxi rip off now and then, if it was said publicly by someone like Musk, you could be affected negatively every day. Then friends and family start saying why doesn't he try to fight this - has he got something to hide? 

It would never have ended with just Musks comment, it will hound him until he fights back. Even if Vern loses, he will gain respect for having his life scrutinized and showing that Musk is just a bully (assuming Vern is squeaky clean).

I also can ignore comments from ordinary people but not from someone with Musks power.

Edited by chang1

32 minutes ago, chang1 said:

"if unsworth called musk a pedo i doubt he'd take any action since he's got bigger fish to fry"

If it became world news and people started digging into his background and private life, I would expect he would take legal action to protect his image as to ignore it could be taken as a sign that there was some truth in the comment. Tesla is partly built on the cult of Musk. If brand Musk became tarnished Tesla could loose millions in lost sales. How much did that joint cost?

"countering with another vulgarity isn't that harsh."

It was not a "vulgarity", it was specific unproven accusations that are highly damaging. You also are ignoring the massive power balance between these two. If Vern had made the same accusations they would probably have been insignificant and not gone any further unless Musk responded. Musks comments are seen by millions around the world, Vern would never have been able to get away from it being brought up for the rest of his life. So if he made no attempt to publicly disprove what Musk said it would reinforce peoples thoughts that there is no smoke without fire.

"if someone called me that it would enter one ear and exit the other" unlike the odd taxi rip off now and then, if it was said publicly by someone like Musk, you could be affected negatively every day. Then friends and family start saying why doesn't he try to fight this - has he got something to hide? 

It would never have ended with just Musks comment, it will hound him until he fights back. Even if Vern loses, he will gain respect for having his life scrutinized and showing that Musk is just a bully (assuming Vern is squeaky clean).

I also can ignore comments from ordinary people but not from someone with Musks power.

if it were me and if i were being affected negatively every day i would get some paid or unpaid tv appearances to easily clarify things and/or go on a speaking tour that would likely be more profitable than 75k unsworth is seeking. did unsworth get fired or lose money as a result? not likely at this point in his life. he and musk were both there with the common goal of helping the cave boys get out. team effort can say. there was zero need to remark on cnn with the submarine anal stuff though it may have made him feel empowered to say it.

it seems those negatively affected(at least emotionally) by the musk comments largely reside on this forum.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:33 AM, Kieran00001 said:

You've got to wonder what is with some peoples obsession with pointing out that you're not a pedo according to the dictionary if the child you are attracted to has started puberty.

Anyway, do you mean the definition found in the dictionary or do you mean the accepted legal definition? 

They are quite different, the former may exhonerate in your mind, but its the latter that counts, and that definition just says children, legally it means attraction to the underage.

Many years ago people put the same thing around about me, it almost certainly went a long way towards me losing my job.

No doubt the guilty parties would say that it was "just banter".

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:02 PM, nchuckle said:

Your previously stated equivalence/ support for likening the incident to that  of a "harmless "bar room brawl is from the age of Queer bashing, wife beating (just a domestic),belting the kids, football hooliganism and racial discrimination. All those on the receiving end should have "thicker skin "too in your book I suppose?

A bar room brawl now rightly ends up with an assault charge or GBH ,by the way.

Yes, it is a brave new world, and you are welcome to it.  Us old farts made the world so bad for you guys didn't we.

22 minutes ago, car720 said:

Yes, it is a brave new world, and you are welcome to it.  Us old farts made the world so bad for you guys didn't we.

As a 67 year "old fart" I can confirm that some of us more educated type don’t get stuck in the fog of nostalgia for the "good old days ". 

17 hours ago, nchuckle said:

As a 67 year "old fart" I can confirm that some of us more educated type don’t get stuck in the fog of nostalgia for the "good old days ". 

and as a 69 year "old fart" I am glad that some of us poor uneducated at least had the experience of some "good old days".

Of course, some of us pitched our tents in a different campsite. 

2 hours ago, car720 said:

and as a 69 year "old fart" I am glad that some of us poor uneducated at least had the experience of some "good old days".

Of course, some of us pitched our tents in a different campsite. 

As you are perhaps trying to say,the essential difference between us is education,intelligence and wealth.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

As you are perhaps trying to say,the essential difference between us is education,intelligence and wealth.

and you are proud of it.  That is the most amazing part.

Wow, I gave up reading here after 2 pages of apologists made me feel a bit sad for the state of the world we live in... 

There is no question that Musk defamed Unsworth, regardless of his mood, his opinion, or any other weak excuse people can come up with. If you say something in a public forum, be prepared to face the consequences. This is not because it was on Twitter, it has always been so. 

The people shouting the loudest here are all anonymous keyboard warriors, and not even they would be as dumb as Musk was ...well maybe some but most have at least half a brain cell.

Personally as a long term resident of Thailand I feel defamed as well: when it  is proven that Musk called Unsworth a pedo because he lives in Thailand, I want to find a lawyer willing to start a class-action lawsuit. We can fund it on gofundme.

• Thanks 1

Well let's face it. What Musk said was unnecessary but so was Unsworth's comment to "Stick his sub where it hurts". Musk was clearly trying to offer something to help even though it wouldn't work but all Unsworth had to say is "Thanks mate but that wouldn't work in this case, but thanks for thinking of us". But NO...He has to be a Sm...ass.

Edited by armadillo215
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, armadillo215 said:

Well let's face it. What Musk said was unnecessary but so was Unsworth's comment to "Stick his sub where it hurts". Musk was clearly trying to offer something to help even though it wouldn't work but all Unsworth had to say is "Thanks mate but that wouldn't work in this case, but thanks for thinking of us". But NO...He has to be a Sm...ass.

Oh boohoo the billionaire's feelings were hurt...

Unsworth did not break the law.

Telling someone where to stick their sub is good advice, when that person is trying to grab the limelight.

Again, where is being a smartass (yes you can say it - it is not a baaaad word) against the law?...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, armadillo215 said:

And Musk didnt need to reply or reply in a similar fashion or at least Musk needed to reply keeping within the boundaries of the law 

• Like 2

That 'leaders of industry' (and Countries) are posting on Twitter and any other social media really astounds me.

Historically, the only public statements people in high positions made were only released after careful scrutiny by press agents and lawyers, to protect the company (or Country) from ridicule, lawsuits and general negative publicity.

Guess the ability to self-inflate one's ego is just too tempting.

Musk is a fine example, and has even lost control of his company doing so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, utalkin2me said:

IT is so nice for a change when rich people do stupid stuff and actually have to pay for it. 

I don't know how it is in California, but in some countries punitive damages are awarded based on the guilty person's income, for example 10 days' income. 

Last year, Musk earned USD 2.3 billion, including stock options.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/elon-musk-compensation-over-2-billion-2019-5/?international=true&r=US

Edited by Puccini
added link
  • Like 1