USA visitor visa

We have made an appointment for my Thai wife for 2 July for an interview for her tourist visa to USA. We plan to travel 7 July to visit my family in USA for a week. I and our son hold Australian passports. Question is how long after the interview we could expect the visa (assume it will be granted) to be ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

July 4 is a big USA holiday and many Federal offices will be closed.  I don't know the timelines following the embassy interview, but I can't believe it will be quick.  You scheduled trip of July 7 after the interview of July 2 seems like a very short time for anything to get accomplished to your satisfaction.  I assume you are aware of some of the challenges of getting the USA Visa.

" immigration officials are required to presume that all tourist visa applicants plan to permanently settle in the US. If you have an American boyfriend, the chance that your B2 visa application will be approved is extremely low.  You should apply for a K1 visa instead of a tourist visa if you plan on getting married in the US."

I don't have any direct experience with these issues except for once when I almost sponsored a chinese lady's mom to the USA.  

17 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

July 4 is a big USA holiday and many Federal offices will be closed.  I don't know the timelines following the embassy interview, but I can't believe it will be quick.  You scheduled trip of July 7 after the interview of July 2 seems like a very short time for anything to get accomplished to your satisfaction.  I assume you are aware of some of the challenges of getting the USA Visa.

" immigration officials are required to presume that all tourist visa applicants plan to permanently settle in the US. If you have an American boyfriend, the chance that your B2 visa application will be approved is extremely low.  You should apply for a K1 visa instead of a tourist visa if you plan on getting married in the US."

I don't have any direct experience with these issues except for once when I almost sponsored a chinese lady's mom to the USA.  

Ditto that.

Thats really touch and go, even 'if' the visa is approved that you'll get her passport back, given the July 4th holiday.

Add to that if you live outside Bangkok, it could take a minimum of 2 days for Thai Post to get it to you.

I hope the OP has refundable tickets, or at the very least, changeable

20 years ago was very difficult for a Thai national to get a Tourist visa to USA.  They would have to have strong ties to thailand, e.g. Own a business worth over a million baht, have several million baht in a thai bank, etc...

Always thought it was excessive.  Found a few recent requirements online at siam legal.  They mention "evidence of compelling social and economic ties to Thailand"   Good luck

https://www.siam-legal.com/US_Visa/us-visa-tourist.php

Applying For A US Tourist Visa Thailand

Under U.S. law, applicants for a US Tourist Visa must qualify on their own for visas to visit the United States.

• Complete the required DS-160 online application form;
  • Submit evidences that their visit is temporary
  • Undergo security clearance review

Important Documents Needed For All Type Of Applicants

• Application Form DS-160, completed and submitted
  • Current, valid passport or travel document
  • Passport 2x2 in Photograph
  • Application fees
  • Evidence of funds to cover your expenses in the United States
  • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties to Thailand

35 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Good point about 4 July. We have not booked tickets but would like to buy them fairly soon. Just want an idea for how long it usually takes after the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Usually 'if' any visa is approved it's about a week before the passport is returned to you, or her to be more accurate.

That being said, I hope you've read enough on TVF to recognize that unlike immigrant visas, tourist visas are tough.

She might sail through, or she might not, it's really a crap shoot.

So book refundable tickets, if the visa gets approved you can always have them refunded then look for something cheaper.

I'm ditto'ing @Skallywag Siam Legal has some pretty realistic advice on US tourist visas for Thai's, rather than the rosy advise given by a lot of fly by night agents.

Start here and work through their tutorials;

https://www.siam-legal.com/us-visa/us-tourist-visas-for-thai-citizens/

5 hours ago, sir charles IV said:

Good point about 4 July. We have not booked tickets but would like to buy them fairly soon. Just want an idea for how long it usually takes after the interview.

My wife did the interview in November, her passport with visa was mailed to the house about 1 week later.

1 hour ago, sir charles IV said:

Thanks Jay. Similar to Australian visa turn around time.

So I'm assuming that you are a dual US/Australian.

Which passport are YOU planning on traveling on?

1 hour ago, sir charles IV said:

Thanks Jay. Similar to Australian visa turn around time.

Not sure if this is a worthwhile suggestion for your scenario, and I've never done it, but I believe you can log into the system and request to change the interview appointment date. 

https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Thailand

So I'm assuming that you are a dual US/Australian.

Which passport are YOU planning on traveling on?

Only citizen of Australia. My family that we’re planning to visit have US citizenship. I’m working in Thailand on a 5 year visa. Just wanna take our son to USA so his grandmother can see him. She’s a bit frail to travel to Thailand otherwise that was our preferred option.

Not sure if this is a worthwhile suggestion for your scenario, and I've never done it, but I believe you can log into the system and request to change the interview appointment date. 

https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Thailand

The booking I got online was the earliest. I may check periodically to see if someone cancelled.

3 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Only citizen of Australia. My family that we’re planning to visit have US citizenship. I’m working in Thailand on a 5 year visa. Just wanna take our son to USA so his grandmother can see him. She’s a bit frail to travel to Thailand otherwise that was our preferred option.

Actually you not being a US citizen is paradoxically a good thing, since often the CO thinks the Thai lady goes with her American bf, marries in the US, applies for a change of status, and won't return to Thailand.

So Good Luck, but be more realistic on travel timing.

I'd plan for a month after the interview date, just in case

Actually you not being a US citizen is paradoxically a good thing, since often the CO thinks the Thai lady goes with her American bf, marries in the US, applies for a change of status, and won't return to Thailand.

So Good Luck, but be more realistic on travel timing.

I'd plan for a month after the interview date, just in case

Thank you for the tip. I’m still considering when to buy the ticket for.

Good luck.  You nit being American may help.  But no way it will be back in 5 days.    Wow.  Interviews are 6+ weeks out? Not sure there is July 4 the holiday at the Thai consulate office?  One gal I know was approved but they needed some more paperwork or something so it took a month to get her visa.  

The US Consult in Chiang Mai is where my wife applied for her US Tourist Visa. Interview was on a Wednesday and on Friday her passport was in our mail box with a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa. Each entry good for 6 month. Turn around was 3 days from interview to receiving her passport back in the mail. The US they are tourist visa or technically a B-2 visa and majority of all applicants if approved receive the 10 year visa.

The wife and I are heading to america for emergency medical care.  What's the score?   Do I have to register the marriage there?  Can I just get the thai marriage document legalised at the thai embassy for use with things like insurance etc?  How does this work?  My previous wife was on a fiance's visa at first.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:30 AM, SenorJorge said:

The wife and I are heading to america for emergency medical care.  What's the score?   Do I have to register the marriage there?  Can I just get the thai marriage document legalised at the thai embassy for use with things like insurance etc?  How does this work?  My previous wife was on a fiance's visa at first.

I'm also a bit confused.

If you are married in Thailand, you are married in the United States.

That being said, she's not automatically an immigrant, there is a process, a CR-1 or IR-1, which takes time.

If you are heading to the US for emergency medical care (I'm assuming you) she would have to apply for a tourist visa to accompany you.

But @sir charles IV is right, this is a whole new thread topic

• 4 weeks later...

Archived