Kalasin ‘Mushroom pickers’ freed by royal pardon

webfact

‘Mushroom pickers’ freed by royal pardon

By JAKRAPONG RAWIWAN 
THE NATION 

084c4b17a644eda3ef57ae152977ec47.jpeg

A KALASIN couple jailed since 2017 for forest encroachment left prison one year early yesterday as beneficiaries of a royal pardon.

Udom and Daeng Sirisorn had been the recipients of widespread public sympathy following their sentencing. 

Their arrest in 2010 drew criticism when it was revealed they had merely been gathering mushrooms in the Dong Ranaeng Forest Reserve.

But the Supreme Court ruled in 2017 that they had in fact illegally cut down more than 700 trees and encroached on 72 rai (11.5 hectres) of protected land. Udom and Daeng were each sentenced to five years in jail and ordered to pay the state Bt2.52 million. 

The jail term was much lower than the 15-year sentence handed down by the court of primary instance.

In jail, Udom and Daeng demonstrated good behaviour and their term had already been reduced. Udom was set to complete his sentence in May 2020 and Daeng in September 2020. 

The King this month granted pardons to them and 236 other convicts. 

Prior to their release, Udom and Daeng formally vowed to be good members of society and sang the Royal Anthem in honour of the monarch.

A large number of relatives met them in front of Kalasin Prison. 

“We are so glad that they received the royal pardon,” one relative said. “We are overwhelmingly grateful.” 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369537

thenation_logo.jpg

And I bet there weren't even special mushrooms. I hear the blue ones found in elephant dung are quite interesting. 

I only remember hearing about the mushrooms -- not the trees, and I recall being disappointed that they received such stiff sentences. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But the Supreme Court ruled in 2017 that they had in fact illegally cut down more than 700 trees and encroached on 72 rai (11.5 hectres) of protected land.

I don't believe that those two would be physically capable of cutting down more than 700 trees - I wonder what evidence there was to make this ruling?

50 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

I don't believe that those two would be physically capable of cutting down more than 700 trees - I wonder what evidence there was to make this ruling?

Probably 700 trees missing and them being the people being closest to the spot not having powerful friends.

13 minutes ago, Xaos said:

What was the story of illegal rich hunter again? 

The chef did it, the rich hunter was just an invited guest who helped carry stuff and had no idea what he was eating.

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Good for them but what about the two Burmese boys still incarcerated?? 

Unfortunately they are scapegoats and will not be released. Even if I can remember correctly, the PM was fully behind them getting racked up.

Archived