More women, youths dying drunk on roads

webfact

More women, youths dying drunk on roads

By THE NATION

bff5b813720ad2eaf2aed774f36d1e96.jpeg

File photo

WOMEN ARE increasingly being involved in drunk-driving accidents resulting in death and injury says the Public Health Ministry, citing data on this year’s Songkran road mayhem.

There were 3,338 traffic accidents across the country during the “seven dangerous days” of Songkran – April 11-17 – resulting in 3,442 injuries and 386 deaths, it reported. 

That was an improvement over 2018, when there were 3,724 crashes, 418 deaths and 3,897 injuries during Songkran.

Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the ministry’s permanent-secretary, credited the decrease in the number of accidents this year to the fact that more people opted to travel upcountry a day in advance, lessening road congestion by 3.38 per cent along with the crash risk. 

He confirmed that most of the accidents, 79.15 per cent, involved motorcycles and, in terms of locations, most, 42.24 per cent, took place on highways.

Most highway fatalities during Songkran occurred in Lop Buri and Udon Thani, which had 15 each, while Nakhon Si Thammarat witnessed the most injuries (involving 136 people), followed by Chiang Mai (126) and Roi Et (99).

Police administered blood-alcohol tests to 1,917 drivers and breath analyses to 3,142 others. More than 40 per cent of those tested were found to be above the legal limit and charged, Sukhum said.

Random checks conducted during that period on establishments licensed to sell alcohol found 1,487 in violation of the law, chiefly for sales outside defined hours, illegal advertisements and illegal marketing activities.

“The in-depth analysis of the accident data reveals an increase in the number of female drunk drivers who were injured or killed in accidents,” Sukhum said. 

“There was also a rise in the number of youths under 20 being injured or killed in drunk-driving accidents – despite the law prohibiting sales of alcohol to youths.”

He said the ministry would meet relevant agencies to find measures to reduce the number of drunk drivers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369531

thenation_logo.jpg

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Police administered blood-alcohol tests to 1,917 drivers and breath analyses to 3,142 others. More than 40 per cent of those tested were found to be above the legal limit and charged, Sukhum said.

40 percent, so just over 2000 drivers were found to be drunk. 

Grief, I’m astonished more didn’t die. 

Clearly Thai land transport authorities have no interest in road safety and merely pay lip service to it whenever their appalling road carnage statistics are highlighted internationally. If they felt shame or any sense of responsibility they would have done something about it long ago. 

The first time I went to Chiang Rai I got lost at night trying to find the road to my hotel. I asked a couple of guys who were sitting outside chatting for directions and one offered to take me on his scooter. I thanked him and jumped on the back only to get a whiff of strong Whiskey ... he was three sheets to the wind. Despite that I got home safely. Seems to be the norm here.

4 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Alcohol use is and will be on the rise because thais are increasingly losing hope. 

Not a lot to hope for.  The wet blanket usurper looking to resume his time at government house.  He caters to the 1% and does little for the average Thai.  Poor education does not help.  I know few happy Thais. 

It's a worldwide problem...Youth are losing hope all over the world...If you are over 40..You made it...The Earth is getting increasingly darker for humans..Its worse in America

US drug overdose deaths rose to record 72,000 last year, data reveals

100 Americans die of drug overdoses each day.

There are less Bikes in America is the only reason...of less road accidents...young people are anyway dying in Western Countries which is neglected by mainstream media because someone has to save poor black kids in Africa

Can you eloborate more please.
The Earth is getting increasingly darker for humans

This is fasinating. More darker world, is it climate change?

Oh, do tell. What fun facts and trivia you find out on TVF each day.

It's all part of Thai social meltdown.. people turn in desperation to drink/drugs for a release from daily pressure.... this is not just visible by accidents on the roads but by the rise in violent behaviour in general.

Thailand is at a tipping point.. soon it will go bang !

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Can you eloborate more please.

This is fasinating. More darker world, is it climate change?

Oh, do tell. What fun facts and trivia you find out on TVF each day.

And note that it's worse in America than on Earth....I always suspected that the US was not of this planet. Explains why they have this thing about rockets and space.....????

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's all part of Thai social meltdown.. people turn in desperation to drink/drugs for a release from daily pressure.... this is not just visible by accidents on the roads but by the rise in violent behaviour in general.

Thailand is at a tipping point.. soon it will go bang !

I haven't noticed this at all where I live. Life is going on as usual. Neighbors are friendly, kids are out playing, even the street dogs are in a better mood at the moment. I think that it's the way you look at things that influences your opinion. The old saying 'If you smile the whole world smiles with you' is so true.

Archived