road safety in Thailand

I'm tired of hearing about kids being crippled and killed in the land of smiles.  This is something that is a black mark up against such a fine country.

We can do something about it besides personally gearing up with appropriate protective equipment and driving responsibly.  

We can bring it to the forefront and confront it "head on" so to speak.

If you have photos or statistical information or real life stories about situations here that you can share to help bring this subject the attention it deserves,  we may be able to gain ground on it.

Any video or content that shows safety gear doing what it was designed to do would be appreciated and welcomed.

there is a fb page that was started to do so.   road safetyinthailand

Please add it and share it so that we can bring this situation to the forefront.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago a female friend of mine got a ticket for driving without a license. She is in her mid 30s. I said I'll pay for your license if you go and get it. She got her medical certificate and then she had to go to school at the DLT. from 8-430. Now she has to go back and take the tests. I think Thailand might be getting a little more serious about road safety but it will take time.

Edited by jmd8800
  • Like 1

why ??? that is the question.....no one can educate thais to be "good" drivers.

Your udea is a complete wasts of time

safety on roads MUST START in schools at a very young age.

Parents should be educating kids 

Having said this WHO educated the parents??

I think your banging your head against a brick wall.....

Why BOTHER ???

1 minute ago, essox essox said:

why ??? that is the question.....no one can educate thais to be "good" drivers.

Your udea is a complete wasts of time

safety on roads MUST START in schools at a very young age.

Parents should be educating kids 

Having said this WHO educated the parents??

I think your banging your head against a brick wall.....

Why BOTHER ???

I' guess I'll bang my head... Least I'll have a helmet on.

Just now, jmd8800 said:

A few weeks ago a female friend of mine got a ticket for driving without a license. She is in her mid 30s. I said I'll pay for your license if you go and get it. She got her medical certificate and then she had to go to school at the DLT. from 8-430. Now she has to go back and take the tests. I think Thailand might be getting a little more serious about road safety but it will take time.

it will take an  AGE!!! and will be a complete waste of time...thais do not want/never listen to advice on laws of the road/ road safety

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

not trying will not help. 

Somebody mentioned that there was a push to make people drive like the japanese... The driving there is not the point.   The culture is.

The japanese value others more than self.   They consider others feelings and comfort more than that of themselves.   It is a cultural difference,  and to change cultures is not realistic.

Changing safety practices can be done.   Just look at the advancements in safety gear in automobiles in the last 40 years.   Airbags, antilock brakes, multipoint seatbelts.   Those things save lives.

agree but also vehicles can go faster. Speed causes many deaths....

Just now, Dmaxdan said:

I know it is controversial, but I strongly believe that Thais getting their new cars and motorcycles blessed by monks plays a huge part in the country's poor safety record. If people actually believe that they are protected by some sort of divine intervention, then what hope is there?  

no hope whatsoever.....

Its a persons BRAIN that decides what one does on any roads, anywhere anytime.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, essox essox said:

explain.....

I mean,  some of the comments about the people never changing etc and money etc.   I may be naive.   Probably so.

Edited by samuttodd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

If you would like to pay your taxes here to pay for extra government services and education I am sure it would be appreciated.

Actually, it isn't. ????

I tried to pay additional taxes on xtra money earned at my Uni paid in cash and was told 'No.'  I had to stick with the declaration the Uni printed out.

Strange, eh!

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Please add it and share it so that we can bring this situation to the forefront.

Wouldn't do any good Thai do not like being told what to do by others or farangies.

2 hours ago, samuttodd said:

it is a drag that the thread is here to begin with

Well it will be added into the many threads that have already been done to death (excuse the pun) on road safety in Thailand.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If you would like to pay your taxes here to pay for extra government services and education I am sure it would be appreciated.

Or lets ALL start a Gofund for safer Thai roads, then send ALL the money in for education and pay our taxes... Hows that?  Who wants to be first. I'll donate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Or lets ALL start a Gofund for safer Thai roads, then send ALL the money in for education and pay our taxes... Hows that?  Who wants to be first. I'll donate.

Or, we could just stuff all the raised money directly into some already rich Thai-Chinese guy's pockets. 

Same outcome either way 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1