The Kindness Of Strangers Here On Tv

GuestHouse

A couple of weeks back I posted about how a TV member, Thetyim (currently banned?) had given my wife and I real practical advice when we were looking and eventually buying land from a bank.

It remains for us one of the finest examples of how good practical advice and help is available from people who, let's face it, are strangers.

So I'm wondering, have other members got any examples of where TV members gave them real practical advice or indeed practical help, that made their life in Thailand safer/better?

And if so was that direct contact/response to a particular question/problem or was it advice you picked up reading other people's queries and answers?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be first to say that the Scouser has been great in providing advice and insight. I'm sure he's provided similar personal advice to many members here, for which, if he chose, could charge a pretty penny for.

I have had a lot of good advice from you Guesthouse.

I get advice on anything and everything on this forum from lots of different people, that are too numerous to name.

One of the reasons I like this forum and being part of it.

Generally it is my belief that people are good, and it is natuaral to want to help someone if you can.

A couple of weeks back I posted about how a TV member, Thetyim (currently banned?) had given my wife and I real practical advice when we were looking and eventually buying land from a bank.

It remains for us one of the finest examples of how good practical advice and help is available from people who, let's face it, are strangers.

So I'm wondering, have other members got any examples of where TV members gave them real practical advice or indeed practical help, that made their life in Thailand safer/better?

And if so was that direct contact/response to a particular question/problem or was it advice you picked up reading other people's queries and answers?

I can only second the two posters above me

Scouser is outstanding and deserves the accolades he gets

And your good self can also offer opinions that I would not have thought of

PS: I am not crawling either ;-)

Thank your for kind words here, and yes Scouser is a gem of a man.

I'm asking this question because I believe that the best of ThaiVisa seldom gets a mention.

And the best to my mind is the wealth of support and advice given by people who genuinely want to help people they don't even know.

When it comes to visas all you folks are gods; I don't need half the advice you give yet but someday I probably will. Some of the most useful information for me is the cultural, historical, and political stuff- I'm still working on being well-informed about it.

I posted an ad looking for a VCR not long ago; within a month I had one at a reasonable price (and it was delivered to me by another member who is a good friend!)

When I first came to Thailand this board wasn't really set up yet; but I owe internet forums in general a lot for helping me get my act together here.

There's a lot of people who rarely leave the local forums that are very helpful and knowledgeable but rarely get noticed unless you visit that particular subforum. p1p, Chanchao and Ajarn in the Chiang Mai forum spring to mind.

If you want to see a fine example of real and genuine kindness of strangers here on the forum then you need to look no further than here.

Kan Win

Agree with the posters on that thread - extraordinary story

I have received a lot of interesting and useful advise on this board and am grateful for it. I am not thinking of any person in particular but across the board most people have insights that have value and are of interest.

There's a lot of people who rarely leave the local forums that are very helpful and knowledgeable but rarely get noticed unless you visit that particular subforum. p1p, Chanchao and Ajarn in the Chiang Mai forum spring to mind.

That's why I joined, CDN, and you're right. There's a lot of collective wisdom in those threads and well worth surfing.

I have received a lot of practical help with various issues from several ThaiVisa - most of it is done via PM (Private Message). I also read a lot of the sub-forums and have learnt a lot from them.

I have a dream that one day 'The Best of ThaiVisa' will be available in paperback book and included in the purchase price of every Thailand in-bound air ticket.

Peter

Good positive thread GH.

Just wanna thank those good people with knowledge beyond my dreams

in the Computer forum who always respond with the best advice for

problems that a nit twit like me has from time to time

Cheers Tywais & Cdnvic.

There are many other similar type posters who should be applauded..

too numerous to mention..

Bambina :o

I have been around Thailand for the last 10 yrs and only after the last 6 month after joining TV have I been informed of whats really going on in LOS its also good when I realise how other people have approached many of the same problem I have had

Thanx guys

For me, TV has taken most of the stress out "not knowing what to do in a foreign country" as an expatriate. It's a situation in which I periodically find myself, because of language inadequacies, computer malfunctions, trying to find a product, trying to stay legal, problems with the foreign work culture, etc.

In the four years I've been teaching in Isaan, I find myself already the "senior" faculty member among the native English speaking teachers here, and I have few people locally to turn to myself when in a pickle. So, I usually turn to TV. I've lost count how many times I've been helped in the short year and a half I've been a member of this forum.

Thanks to EVERYONE who's had a part in it. :o

Bambina has been a great source of information for many. Whether it be web searches, translations, food and cultural information, whatever. She's also extremely knowledgable, thoughtful and generous about sharing information in her chosen profession - veterinary medicine. We all worry about our pets (and sometimes the doctors we take them to). It's nice to have someone here who listens and offers guidance. Thanks Bambi. I also enjoy just about everything you post too Guesthouse. Very generous, and you add tremendous value here. Many. many others too. Thanks.

Edited by lannarebirth

Although I don't agree with everything he posts and my farming style is different from his I know that alot of farmers and farmer wanna be's have benefitted immensely from Maizefarmer's broad knowledge of all kinds of farming stuff (crops, methods, and equipment to name a few) and what is especially great is that he has years of experience with farming right here in Thailand.....he even takes the time to consult with his multitude of Thai farmers (AND he has connections via his wife to the university agriculture community) to answer questions with information that would be almost impossible for most of us to find any other way.

There are too many to mention in one go, but for a start:

Scouse in Visa, knowledgeable without question, helpful without limit, patience, well we'll move on :D without a doubt a beacon of hope to those who are in especial need at a particular point of time.

Vinny also a great link master.

Bambina and Bina in Pets, help in very quick time when my Chihuahua's were in need, a great relief :D

Tywais in particular but Totster and Scouse again spring to mind in Forum support,

Many many others, but out of all Visa and Pets section do it for me :o

Good Luck to all

Moss

All the guys in the visa forum, there knowledge is priceless!!

The fact most of them are well over the hurdles of obtaining visas for there loved ones and still spend hours of there time helping others in need!!

Excellent job guys!

Mark :o:D

The ladies on the ladies' forum are wonderful & full of down-to-earth advice. Particular mentions to sbk, Sheryl, Boo, bina - but everyone's great. tutsi is good on the food forum and Guesthouse (amongst others) has been very helpful in another area for me. Thanks to all :o

Oh, how could I forget? sbk generously offered a stack of organic gardening magazines she had read. I asked if I might have them, and she sent them to me TWICE (because I screwed up my own address). So, now I'm transitioning from someone who had heretofore killed every plant to an organic gardener. Thai Visa, making the world a better place, one poster at atime! :o Thanks sbk!

Edited by lannarebirth

I haven't had alot to say myself but have benefited greatly from many hours of reading through posts on TV. While I don't contribute to the forum directly very often at all, I have been able to pass on relevant information to a lot of people I meet in Phuket on many topics and usually refer them back to TV so that they too can learn from other peoples experience and expertise.

Tv seems to be the most reliable source of information on living/working/holidaying in Thailand and also offers unique opportunities to get different points of view on relationships, family life, politics and just about anything that matters to people who are trying to maximise their experience of life.

Great thread GH, I've realised I've taken this information and the "kindness of strangers" on this forum completely for granted. It's helped me out and got me through many a dull day at work :o and I will from now on contribute if I feel I can add something of value to a discussion.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend! :D

First of all, I want to thank you guys for the compliments :o .Secondly,I want to thank you for all members for friendship and nice information in many threads I have read.Finally,Thanks you'all for encouraging me to be myself.

ps. Special thanks for "donna" for being a great sister :D

ps.2 I have met many members in real life, they are so nice indeed.

The ladies on the ladies' forum are wonderful & full of down-to-earth advice. Particular mentions to sbk, Sheryl, Boo, bina - but everyone's great. tutsi is good on the food forum and Guesthouse (amongst others) has been very helpful in another area for me. Thanks to all :o

thanks fer the mention...I simply wanna discuss my difficulties in tryin' to get sumpim' good to eat with limited resources...up here in rural Thailand we can't just pop down to the Villa super anytime we want...

my gratitude goes to Peace Blondie for his help with my US tax problems...he helped by pointing me in the right direction; I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise...

I have had help with all kinds of things on the forum.

The construction of my new home would have been a real headache without the help I've received here.

Bambina also gets a nod from me, she has helped me numerous times with translations and other questions. I hope one day to be able to pay her back in some way.....she's a real gem. :o

I have had help with all kinds of things on the forum.

The construction of my new home would have been a real headache without the help I've received here.

Bambina also gets a nod from me, she has helped me numerous times with translations and other questions. I hope one day to be able to pay her back in some way.....she's a real gem. :o

hear, hear...

Yes, thank you for the excellent OP, Guesthouse.

Just reading through the responses is evidence enough that despite all the pole bashing, there are more folks here to lend a helping hand.

Most of mine has been in moral support and the opportunity to chat with people like Bendix, Robski, Terry57, DJT, Farangsay, Boon Mee, Bojangles, November Rain, and MiG.

I love the food forum, so TutsiWarrior is my champion there, along with Leisurely, ThaiGerd, Cathyv and the many other foodies that add recipes and kitchen tips. Stars, one and all.

The political and indepth debate threads have excellent contributors and debate maestros. (Agree to disagree.) Thanks to Lao Po for starting many of them.

I appreciate Macb for the dog training thread, and BambinA, sbk and NR for good pet info.

As noted above, contributors to the Ladies Forum are generous in heart, warmth and support.

Nice family here in TV, even if some of the distant cousins deserve a good thrashing now and again.

Oh, forgot to add that the chat room is a good place to forget past bickerings, and Buckwheat and Somchai are wonderful hosts.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

My compliments on this thread GH.

On this forum you have the nonsense (which is fun) and the trolls (ditto) and

the bithching (hey <deleted>) but underlying all that you have a community who will

try to answer your question. I have had so many questions answered on this

forum that it would take me a day or two reviewing my posts to name them

all so I'll just say thank you one and all. This sense of community has even

moved me to offer an opinion or experience sometimes from what I would

admit is limited knowledge.

So

Thank you for the help

Keep up the nonsense

Keep trolling

Stop bitching huh ?

:o