Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

50 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

My cousin lived in Siam Reap for almost 10 years, owned and operated Belmiro's Pizza restaurant in Siam Reap. Moved to Panama about 7 months ago as  he said he did not like the anti US attitude (from Gov ) there and didn't want to be there after the latest elections.  

Sihounookville is being taken over by the Chinese ,  Did a border run a few times and unlike in Thailand the kids  basically tried to rip the 20 baht notes from my hand. My wife charged them like a bull and said get away from my husband.

LOL at bull charging, wish I saw it. details on story

Who is anti-american now?  Reasons your cousin moved.  He likes it better in panama?

56 minutes ago, tomster said:

It just depends on what you want. If you want nightlife and hostess bars, anywhere on the riverside is the area.

If you want to see the monied side of life in PP, then stay in BKK1 or Toul Kork - they are night and day dfferent to the Riverside.

Then spend a 2-3 nights in Khampot and a week or three in Siem Reap, you'll then have a pretty good idea if Cambodia is somewhere you could live.

Is there good real massage shops everywhere like in thai?  Or where would u recommend for that. 

41 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I started to travel around a bit and visited Thailand many times, eventually meeting my now girlfriend there. She has the usual family commitments here so I moved to her village after building a house (which she contributed 50% towards before any cynic jumps in ???? ).

Massages: There are literally hundreds of massage places in Siem Reap, from the dodgy dollar for 30 minutes (whisper - private room) to some very nice upmarket ones aimed at rich tourists. I would go twice a week as I find they help a lower back problem I've had for years. Interestingly, I really miss a massage now as there are none in the village. The quality of the massage varies but i reckon the girls all went through the same training as the actual procedure varies little from one place to the other. I settled on 2 mid range ones and paid about $8 to $10 per hour. And yes there are streets where you can get more than a massage!

There is no market for massages for back pain in the village?  Over saturation in tourist spots.  

2 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

Why did u move to thai from cambodia?

How are the massages in cambodia?  Cheaper?  better?  educated in the art of massage?

Please Ding Dong, stop going on about massages. It's obvious that's what you are in to, so just go and try.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

There are countless child beggars in cambodia and plenty doing the restaurants on the tourist strip. How did you not notice ?

I rarely go out during the day. We did see a group of child beggars when we had lunch near the river, but they weren't nearly as annoying or persistent as the ones in Bangkok (soi 11). Hawkers I just ignore and tune out so I probably just don't remember, but then again Bangkok has plenty of those too. Goes with the territory (SE Asia)...

3 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I rarely go out during the day. We did see a group of child beggars when we had lunch near the river, but they weren't nearly as annoying or persistent as the ones in Bangkok (soi 11). Hawkers I just ignore and tune out so I probably just don't remember, but then again Bangkok has plenty of those too. Goes with the territory (SE Asia)...

I live next soi up from 11 for twelve years and frequent soi 11 regularly. The Only child beggar I have EVER seen is the one with his mum sitting in the narrow stretch of footpath. many many more in PP. Hawkers here dont even rate and the TUK TUK drivers here may occasionally bip their horns at you but those in PP will drive you mad on every street corner.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Are there still restrictions on a Cambodian girl marrying a foreigner ?

Yes - if you're over 50, you can't officially marry a Cambodian girl. However, you can easily arrange to do so in the village, or take her outside of Cambodia and do so.

Just now, JCauto said:

Have you been further than two blocks from the riverfront?

At night no firggin way, during the day sure thats where I was offered  heroin in a small balloon several blocks away from the river. Some run down 1 star hotels and hostels where smacked out farang who hasn't showered in a week walking around like zombies. 

The river front is Ok but you couldnt pay me enough to venture of into the burbs

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Its a well know fact that westerners travel to Cambodia because of its drug culture due to its lawlessness where they can score crack, smack and coke. There are bars and one is called the red fox that roll joints and sell them to westerners who smoke them in the bar , they also can get you any other drugs including heroin.

You are in serious denial

And you are seriously misinformed - crack and coke? Nonsense, meth is a far bigger issue just as in Thailand and Laos. Sure, there's a drug culture available in Cambodia. As there is in Thailand too, if you wish to find it. OMG - joints in bars! You are slandering the Red Fox by painting them as a peddler of Heroin and other hard drugs, this is simply not true. Whatever customers or tuk-tuk drivers you may have encountered there or outside of there have nothing to do with the bar.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, madmen said:

There are countless child beggars in cambodia and plenty doing the restaurants on the tourist strip. How did you not notice ? Also relentless hawkers

https://www.google.com/search?q=child+beggars+in+cambodia&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH839TH839&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW97nH467iAhUM8XMBHTP1DxwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1228&bih=544

Again, your impressions of Cambodia are based on the two block area you stayed in and never left. And your argument about child beggars is ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH839TH839&biw=1920&bih=1078&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ZnnlXIHRFouKtQW1rZ_YDA&q=child+beggars+in+thailand&oq=child+beggars+in+thailand&gs_l=img.3..0i24.18554.19465..19683...0.0..0.92.609.8......1....1..gws-wiz-img.0sAAdsyk7sc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

limbless pitiful beggars abound.  these are not the same as vendors in Thailand.  Cambodia is like Bangladesh.  girls no fun, music EDM etc, place over run with Chinese 

Your ignorance is remarkable. Presuming you meant "beggars" not "vendors", these are actually the exact same people as Cambodian beggars are regularly trafficked to Thailand for the begging gangs.

Cambodia is like Bangladesh? You must be joking. You really shouldn't comment on a place unless you've actually some serious experience of it and not a two-day visa run staying on Street 136.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Please provide one example of an expat being shot in Phnom Penh in the middle of the afternoon. Stop making stuff up.

why do people just assume tourists get shot, murdered in Cambodia? in thailand i can recall since 2018  7 - 8 tourist/expat murders and many many more stabbed,shot,attacked. 

Edited by koratkorat1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Well, there you go. Your experience is having a walkabout during the day from your hotel near the river, but you've never ventured beyond that small part of Phnom Penh. Hence you really don't know what you're talking about. You speak none of the language, you've not shopped in the supermarkets, lived in an apartment outside of the tourist areas, traveled to the rural areas, etc.  

I can only relay my experience. Good for you that you can live on the outskirts ..good luck if a fire starts and it dawns on you that there are bars on the windows..Long term Accommodation is truly woeful and expensive.

Remember this thread is in comparison to Thailand. PP is a dump compared to Bangkok and thats what you have to compare it to. Its a 30 year catch up

Edited by madmen

23 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Hospitals not up to western standards

People pissing in the street

Hygiene not that great (food poisoning)

Infrastructure not as good

Malls not that brilliant (Phnom Penh Japanese mall pretty good though)

... interesting place to visit, I'm not sure that I'd want to stay there.

Like no one ever got food poisoning in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

I can only relay my experience. Good for you that you can live on the outskirts ..good luck if a fire starts and it dawns on you that there are bars on the windows..Long term Accommodation is truly woeful and expensive.

Remember this thread is in comparison to Thailand. PP is a dump compared to Bangkok and thats what you have to compare it to. Its a 30 year catch up

You lost my vote when you named anywhere as being a dump compared to Bangkok. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You lost my vote when you named anywhere as being a dump compared to Bangkok. 

Not looking for votes. tell us in what way is PP better than BKK? its not a trick question so take your time.

Can you get a lawyer in Cambodia when your girlfriend throws a wobbly or your landlord keeps your deposit? Is there healthcare insurance?

Seems essential in Thailand.

Should I have said attorney?

There is an expat board there called Khmer440. Same as here, bunch of jaded, expat piss-artists and misfits arguing about semantics.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Not looking for votes. tell us in what way is PP better than BKK? its not a trick question so take your time.

You would not understand the answer even if I gave it to you in capital letters.

If you accept that Bangkok is, by and large, a sh1t hole, you may have a chance......

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Like no one ever got food poisoning in Thailand?

Is that what I said? Yes, of course, no one ever gets food poisoning in Thailand. You're right, I should have been more specific and precise.

Now GFY.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

if you're over 55, drop off $300 at your nearest agent, collect your 1 year multi entry VISA later in the week.

Thailand is also the same. No hassle if you drop 600 USD. If Cambodian agents are charging $300, Thai agents should charge $1408 because Thailand's GDP is four time the GDP of Cambodia but they charge only $600, So, Thai agents are extremely cheap. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3