Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

50 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

My cousin lived in Siam Reap for almost 10 years, owned and operated Belmiro's Pizza restaurant in Siam Reap. Moved to Panama about 7 months ago as  he said he did not like the anti US attitude (from Gov ) there and didn't want to be there after the latest elections.  

Sihounookville is being taken over by the Chinese ,  Did a border run a few times and unlike in Thailand the kids  basically tried to rip the 20 baht notes from my hand. My wife charged them like a bull and said get away from my husband.

LOL at bull charging, wish I saw it. details on story

Who is anti-american now?  Reasons your cousin moved.  He likes it better in panama?

56 minutes ago, tomster said:

It just depends on what you want. If you want nightlife and hostess bars, anywhere on the riverside is the area.

If you want to see the monied side of life in PP, then stay in BKK1 or Toul Kork - they are night and day dfferent to the Riverside.

Then spend a 2-3 nights in Khampot and a week or three in Siem Reap, you'll then have a pretty good idea if Cambodia is somewhere you could live.

Is there good real massage shops everywhere like in thai?  Or where would u recommend for that. 

41 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I started to travel around a bit and visited Thailand many times, eventually meeting my now girlfriend there. She has the usual family commitments here so I moved to her village after building a house (which she contributed 50% towards before any cynic jumps in ???? ).

Massages: There are literally hundreds of massage places in Siem Reap, from the dodgy dollar for 30 minutes (whisper - private room) to some very nice upmarket ones aimed at rich tourists. I would go twice a week as I find they help a lower back problem I've had for years. Interestingly, I really miss a massage now as there are none in the village. The quality of the massage varies but i reckon the girls all went through the same training as the actual procedure varies little from one place to the other. I settled on 2 mid range ones and paid about $8 to $10 per hour. And yes there are streets where you can get more than a massage!

There is no market for massages for back pain in the village?  Over saturation in tourist spots.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

Why did u move to thai from cambodia?

How are the massages in cambodia?  Cheaper?  better?  educated in the art of massage?

Please Ding Dong, stop going on about massages. It's obvious that's what you are in to, so just go and try.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

There are countless child beggars in cambodia and plenty doing the restaurants on the tourist strip. How did you not notice ?

I rarely go out during the day. We did see a group of child beggars when we had lunch near the river, but they weren't nearly as annoying or persistent as the ones in Bangkok (soi 11). Hawkers I just ignore and tune out so I probably just don't remember, but then again Bangkok has plenty of those too. Goes with the territory (SE Asia)...

Cambodia is currently booming with new construction projects especially in Phnom Penh with new high rise apartments and condos going up everywhere. Phnom Penh has two (Aeon) western style modern shopping malls, most of the usual chain restaurants are there which include, S&P, Carls Jr's, Burger King, Fuji, Pizza Company and a host of Japanese & Chinese restaurants, Starbucks and Amazon are in the malls and can be found almost everywhere in the city along with many others. One noticeable difference there are no 7-11s or McDonald's. Cost of living in Phnom Penh compared to Bangkok in my opinion is very similar some things a bit more expensive and other things much cheaper. I have heard that beer and cigarettes are the cheapest in the world here in Cambodia and from my experience I would think that is correct. Comparing the quality of life in Phnom Penh compared to Bangkok, In my opinion Cambodia is improving day by day but currently does not offer the same quality as Bangkok mostly due to infrastructure and insufficient power. That said I have met many expats who absolutely love Cambodia and have lived here for many years. Yes Visas are easier to obtain with much less immigration requirements. Another advantage in Cambodia is the ease of opening your own business as an expat, many expats who live here long term are business owners, retires and teachers. Salaries in Cambodia are lower compared to Thailand however if on a budget one could easly get by on $1000 mo. I find the Cambodian people friendly and welcoming and English skills much better than Thailand, English ability is especially good with young Cambodians. Traveling in Cambodia is not on par with Thailand mainly due to poor road conditions however it seems safe to drive anywhere in the country. Places many expats like to travel to would be Kampot, Siem Reap, some beautiful National Parks with lakes and or rivers. The beaches and islands on the Cambodian coastline used to be popular however recently not so much as the Chinese have pretty much taken over in these areas with new Chinese construction of resorts, apartments, condos and business's. My conclusion is if Thailand is 10 Cambodia is 8. 

3 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I rarely go out during the day. We did see a group of child beggars when we had lunch near the river, but they weren't nearly as annoying or persistent as the ones in Bangkok (soi 11). Hawkers I just ignore and tune out so I probably just don't remember, but then again Bangkok has plenty of those too. Goes with the territory (SE Asia)...

I live next soi up from 11 for twelve years and frequent soi 11 regularly. The Only child beggar I have EVER seen is the one with his mum sitting in the narrow stretch of footpath. many many more in PP. Hawkers here dont even rate and the TUK TUK drivers here may occasionally bip their horns at you but those in PP will drive you mad on every street corner.

18 hours ago, losworld said:

sure doesn't sound like siam reap and angkor wat to me but i guess you have a different definition of a world heritage site....

Plenty of in your face beggars in Siem Reap.

Overall everything is overpriced unless you go for cheap streetfood type stuff. I remember ppl eating at the old market for 1$. Early morning I saw food being prepared on the filthy floor, rats watching from the distance. Customers wondered why they got sick.

I used to work in S.R. for 3 yrs. Returned 9 yrs later to find out that not much has improved. Old market is as filthy as before,  potholes got bigger, prices doubled, Angkor is being overrun by tourists. People like you for your money. Medical treatment means a trip to Bkk.

20 hours ago, madmen said:

Arm pit of SEA full of farang junkies , lawless no police anywhere and in your face relentless beggars..AVOID!!

Hilarious. You have very little experience of Cambodia; try going beyond the one block radius of your short-time hotel on Street 136 next time.

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

Very "different" levels of:

- poverty and begging

- English proficiency

- food quality (still haven't met a farang who loves fish amok)

- corruption

- perceived safety

- visa hassles

- chances of stepping on a mine

Just a bit too third-world for me, but you never know what's going to happen with Thailand's visa policies in the medium to long-term. The draught beer in Cambodia seems to be very good quality, and astounding value.

This thread is filled with misinformation from people who know nothing about the place except their visa run experience living near the bars near the river. Allow me to start correcting (background: Lived in Thailand for two stints, each around 3.5 years, one in Isaan, one in Chiang Mai, speak Thai, Lao and Khmer, married to Khmer, working in region for 30 years).

Poverty and begging - yes, a poorer country than Thailand, so less Western in amenities and infrastructure and a bit more difficult in terms of seeing poor people, more garbage in the streets. But changing rapidly.

English - much better in Cambodia, which I presume was what OP meant.

Haven't met a farang who loves fish amok? You must be joking, this is one of the great foodie experiences in Southeast Asia. While I agree that finding quality Khmer cuisine USED to be difficult, there's tons of great restaurants offering good Khmer food. FYI, the two closest cultures in the region are NOT Thai and Lao; they're Thai and Khmer. You can tell particularly from the cuisine. Before you could only find it in home cooking, but the landscape has changed tremendously in the last five years or so.

Corruption - I'd be interested in which you were referring to as more corrupt. I reckon they're pretty much equal.

Perceived safety - there's nothing in Cambodia that is more dangerous than the Thai highway at night. Nothing. Practically every single incidence of crime happening to expats is late night after the expat was staggering home from the bar. Som nom na.

Visa hassles - Thailand, many. Cambodia, none.

Chances of stepping on a mine - for expats, zero. For Cambodians, very small.

Yes, I can appreciate that Cambodia is still a lot rougher around the edges than Thailand, and for those who are trying to live in a Western lifestyle but in a cheaper and more tropical and exotic place, Thailand is probably better for you. If you want a more authentic experience, Cambodia is much better. The main reason is the people, they're much more straightforward and open than the Thai are.

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Are there still restrictions on a Cambodian girl marrying a foreigner ?

Yes - if you're over 50, you can't officially marry a Cambodian girl. However, you can easily arrange to do so in the village, or take her outside of Cambodia and do so.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Far worse infrastructure. Far worse security situation, as the place can be dangerous. In PP, one has to be careful to avoid many areas. Especially at night. Not really the case in Thailand. Quite a bit poorer than Thailand. Obviously, there is an upside and a downside to that reality. Driving is as hazardous if not more so, than Thailand, if that is possible. At least in the cities. Limited access to good beaches, and places like Sihanoukville are dangerous, and not very nice. One limitation, is that there do not seem to be as many places to explore as there are in Thailand, in my opinion. Also, the Chinese are buying everything in sight. So, the place is not far from becoming a Chinese colony. As bad as the Thai army is, the Cambodian government is even worse. Hun Sen is a serial killing, thieving, land grabbing despot fool. You piss off the wrong people in Cambodia, and you die. 

Positives? Many speak better english than in Thailand. Khmer is an infinitely more beautiful language to listen to, than Thai. Also, it is not a tonal language, so it is infinitely easier to learn, than Thai, which is ridiculously difficult for many of us. Because of the lack of tones, it is easier for the local people to understand what you are trying to say, when you speak it poorly. The exact opposite of Thailand. The place is slightly more Westernized, so less of a distant planet feel to the place, than Thailand. More access to Western food and many Western products. Way better beer than in Thailand, but that is true with nearly any country in the world. Cheaper too. According to some of my friends, it is a far better place for a single man, looking for a relationship. Cambodian women tend to be less cunning than Thai women, and the bar is not quite as high, in terms of expectations. Many friends have told me they prefer Khmer women over Thai women. And of course, amazing archaeological sights such as Siam Reap. 

Security - disagree strongly, the only danger is late at night if you're drunk in bars. During the day? Nonsense.

Driving - lower speed due to poorer infrastructure = less danger.

Sihanoukville - destroyed by Chinese, don't go as it no more represents Cambodia than Vegas represents the USA.

Exploring Rural Areas - agree, Thailand has many more places to explore more easily, but it's also 5x as large so should. There's fun day trips and road trips to be had though, especially if you're into motorcycling.

Chinese colony - nonsense.

Cambodian government versus Thai - same thing, no difference.

Piss off Cambodians and Die - you having a bad acid trip or something? List off the last expat deaths from Cambodians who got pissed off and killed a Farang. Or the last time a powerful rich Cambodian killed a Farang. I'll wait. This is complete and utter drivel. Thailand is by far more dangerous to Expats. Just the annual numbers of Thai women who've killed their expat hubby alone dwarfs the sum total of wrongful expat deaths in Cambodia since 1990.

Khmer language more beautiful than Thai - this is a minority opinion. Khmer is much more difficult to understand and hear because of the 43 different vowel sounds and the tendency to swallow the last syllable of the word. Thai, if you can "get" the tones, is much more clearly spoken and easy to understand. If you can't get the tones, I understand it's more difficult. Reading Thai is easier too.

Khmer versus Thai women - lived in Thailand for several years, including before Cambodia, married a Khmer woman (happily for 23 years and counting).

Just now, JCauto said:

Have you been further than two blocks from the riverfront?

At night no firggin way, during the day sure thats where I was offered  heroin in a small balloon several blocks away from the river. Some run down 1 star hotels and hostels where smacked out farang who hasn't showered in a week walking around like zombies. 

The river front is Ok but you couldnt pay me enough to venture of into the burbs

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Quite frankly - if Cambodia was so great there wouldn't be hardly any expats left in Thailand.
If Cambodia was so great, Thais would be flooding into there to find jobs instead of the other way around.

If Cambodia was so great, you'd all be reading "KhmerVisa.com" instead of "ThaiVisa.com". (Note - there actually is a "KhmerVisa.com" web address - but it just leads to a page saying that a website is coming soon.)

Rural Cambodia is quite similar to rural Isaan (no surprise as they were all "one" people not that long ago). One big difference I noticed is that when someone is having a wedding in Cambodia - they crank up some gawdawful music as high as they can and blast it all day long !  Other than that, the houses look the same (complete with garbage scattered everywhere), roads about the same, people seem to be about the same. 

Politically, they are a step below Thailand (sometimes way below that) and it seems political violence is almost mandatory when election time comes around.

Infrastructure-wise (Roads, rail, power, internet, etc) is also a step down.

Corruption, if anything, is higher though.

As is the price of a lot of everyday things. People we talked to said that the only thing cheaper in Cambodia than Thailand was rice. Everything else was more expensive because almost all of it had to be imported.

If you are young(ish) and healthy (more or less), it's probably not too bad. If you are older and wanting to stay around for a few more years, you probably want to stay in Thailand.
If you are broke and don't care about anything anymore - you can probably do that cheaper in Cambodia, especially as you wouldn't have to worry about things like healthcare and having to prove a certain level of finances.

I've thought about spending more time there, mainly due to the vast number of ancient Khmer temples scattered around the country. However, I think I'm better off in the long run with just making the occasional visit.
(Purely by coincidence, I was rooting through the closet this morning looking for a pair of pants and found the souvenir shirt I bought at Angkor Wat a couple years ago and have never worn.)

The biggest thing with deciding to live anywhere is what your tolerance level is. Many of you don't live in your home countries for a variety of reasons (which made living there "intolerable") and have moved here, despite having to give up certain things you may have taken for granted "back home".

You have to decide for yourself if the positives outweigh the negatives and if you can live with the "downside" of wherever you want to be. Be it poorer healthcare, corrupt police/politicians, 2 tiered pricing, excessive financial requirements, etc.

If you aren't happy with where you are, then you have to decide if going somewhere is would be worth it in the long run. Remember - a 1-2 week holiday somewhere is not even close to being the same as actually living there (a mistake a lot of people make after one trip to Thailand). However, if you make the trip with the intention of finding out what it would be like to live there, then it would be worthwhile. 

But you'd actually have to check things out. Like the cost of renting/buying (and/or the laws concerning land ownership, condos, etc). How much is electricity, water, gasoline, groceries, car/scooter insurance, internet (etc, etc).

You know, the kinds of things that you don't bother with when you are just spending a week or 2 in a hotel room, eating at restaurants and spending all night in the bars.

And what happens when those people decide to move here ? Inevitably they whine about almost everything because almost nothing is "like it is back home". Which they would have known if they'd actually did a little research first before making the decision to move.

I'm kind of surprised that ThaiVisa doesn't have a "Cambodian" forum, though surely there must be something similar out there already ?
From the way so many people claim (again) that everyone will be deserting Thailand and moving somewhere else, they may want to set up a forum to try and keep their membership numbers up ! (Though of course most people will not actually move elsewhere just like all those Americans who claimed they would move out of the country if Trump won the election, and then crawled under their rocks and hide afterwards.)

If Cambodia were that great... - there's different strokes for different folks. As noted previously by myself and others, for those who are looking for an easy retirement in a place that is more like the West, then Thailand is for you. For those looking for a more authentic and interesting experience who can deal with a few rough edges, Cambodia's for you.

Rural Cambodia vs. Rural Isaan - you need to understand the difference between Southern Isaan (Buriram, Surin, Sisaket) and the rest of Isaan. Southern Isaan was Khmer, the rest was Lao. These are two very different cultures, although they look quite similar superficially. Expat experience of living in rural areas will be very similar though, I agree with you in that respect.

Politically "a step below Thailand"? How do you mean, that they're not as proficient in rigging elections? That's debatable. Care to add up the bodies in the elections in Cambodia and Thailand since 1990? Many many more dead in Thailand than Cambodia. There was essentially zero violence in the last Cambodian and Thai elections for the same reasons - the elections were won prior to the vote taking place by the rulers rigging the rules and disqualifying the opposition. 

Corruption higher - are you sure about that? As an Expat, how much corruption and hassle do you encounter in Cambodia versus Thailand? I can say that, in both cases, the more connected you are (language, marrying into the culture), the easier and cheaper it is. To me the significant difference is that there's more rules, administration and hassle to live in Thailand than Cambodia including having to deposit money in banks and be careful in your managing of visas and travel. Corruption is entirely dependent on your ability to negotiate the culture and system to get what you need. I've never had much problem with that in either country because I speak both languages and understand both cultures.

Cost - Thailand, outside of Bangkok, is much cheaper for living overall, but same is true in Cambodia outside of Phnom Penh. Bangkok is more expensive than Phnom Penh overall, especially if you drink. You are incorrect about food being imported; when the border with Thailand closed briefly Cambodia was FLOODED with fresh seafood, fish and other produce that had otherwise been heading the other direction. Exception is beef, where local produced product is not to standard. The major difference in costs is the cost of electricity, much higher and less reliable in Cambodia. Cheaper telecoms, internet and cable though.

Old/young rich/poor - agree with your observations here, Cambodia is more of a young person's place, but there's plenty of older folk who prefer Cambodia because of the rough edges and lower hassle and costs. Hospital quality is increasing rapidly with the advent of Thai satellite hospitals being set up in the city.

Your final paragraphs are good, it very much is up to you how you take a place and your advice on spending significant time in a living rather than tourist situation is sound.

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Its a well know fact that westerners travel to Cambodia because of its drug culture due to its lawlessness where they can score crack, smack and coke. There are bars and one is called the red fox that roll joints and sell them to westerners who smoke them in the bar , they also can get you any other drugs including heroin.

You are in serious denial

And you are seriously misinformed - crack and coke? Nonsense, meth is a far bigger issue just as in Thailand and Laos. Sure, there's a drug culture available in Cambodia. As there is in Thailand too, if you wish to find it. OMG - joints in bars! You are slandering the Red Fox by painting them as a peddler of Heroin and other hard drugs, this is simply not true. Whatever customers or tuk-tuk drivers you may have encountered there or outside of there have nothing to do with the bar.

7 hours ago, madmen said:

There are countless child beggars in cambodia and plenty doing the restaurants on the tourist strip. How did you not notice ? Also relentless hawkers

https://www.google.com/search?q=child+beggars+in+cambodia&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH839TH839&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW97nH467iAhUM8XMBHTP1DxwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1228&bih=544

Again, your impressions of Cambodia are based on the two block area you stayed in and never left. And your argument about child beggars is ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH839TH839&biw=1920&bih=1078&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ZnnlXIHRFouKtQW1rZ_YDA&q=child+beggars+in+thailand&oq=child+beggars+in+thailand&gs_l=img.3..0i24.18554.19465..19683...0.0..0.92.609.8......1....1..gws-wiz-img.0sAAdsyk7sc

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

limbless pitiful beggars abound.  these are not the same as vendors in Thailand.  Cambodia is like Bangladesh.  girls no fun, music EDM etc, place over run with Chinese 

Your ignorance is remarkable. Presuming you meant "beggars" not "vendors", these are actually the exact same people as Cambodian beggars are regularly trafficked to Thailand for the begging gangs.

Cambodia is like Bangladesh? You must be joking. You really shouldn't comment on a place unless you've actually some serious experience of it and not a two-day visa run staying on Street 136.

5 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Been to Cambo 6 times, never had a problem, but it can easily be the Wild West........and in a lot of cases Cambo is 30 yrs behind Thailand.

You can get shot in Phnom Phen in the middle of the afternoon with 100 people watching.......and no one saw anything

Please provide one example of an expat being shot in Phnom Penh in the middle of the afternoon. Stop making stuff up.

17 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Please provide one example of an expat being shot in Phnom Penh in the middle of the afternoon. Stop making stuff up.

why do people just assume tourists get shot, murdered in Cambodia? in thailand i can recall since 2018  7 - 8 tourist/expat murders and many many more stabbed,shot,attacked. 

38 minutes ago, madmen said:

At night no firggin way, during the day sure thats where I was offered  heroin in a small balloon several blocks away from the river. Some run down 1 star hotels and hostels where smacked out farang who hasn't showered in a week walking around like zombies. 

The river front is Ok but you couldnt pay me enough to venture of into the burbs

Well, there you go. Your experience is having a walkabout during the day from your hotel near the river, but you've never ventured beyond that small part of Phnom Penh. Hence you really don't know what you're talking about. You speak none of the language, you've not shopped in the supermarkets, lived in an apartment outside of the tourist areas, traveled to the rural areas, etc.  

10 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Well, there you go. Your experience is having a walkabout during the day from your hotel near the river, but you've never ventured beyond that small part of Phnom Penh. Hence you really don't know what you're talking about. You speak none of the language, you've not shopped in the supermarkets, lived in an apartment outside of the tourist areas, traveled to the rural areas, etc.  

I can only relay my experience. Good for you that you can live on the outskirts ..good luck if a fire starts and it dawns on you that there are bars on the windows..Long term Accommodation is truly woeful and expensive.

Remember this thread is in comparison to Thailand. PP is a dump compared to Bangkok and thats what you have to compare it to. Its a 30 year catch up

23 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Hospitals not up to western standards

People pissing in the street

Hygiene not that great (food poisoning)

Infrastructure not as good

Malls not that brilliant (Phnom Penh Japanese mall pretty good though)

... interesting place to visit, I'm not sure that I'd want to stay there.

Like no one ever got food poisoning in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

I can only relay my experience. Good for you that you can live on the outskirts ..good luck if a fire starts and it dawns on you that there are bars on the windows..Long term Accommodation is truly woeful and expensive.

Remember this thread is in comparison to Thailand. PP is a dump compared to Bangkok and thats what you have to compare it to. Its a 30 year catch up

You lost my vote when you named anywhere as being a dump compared to Bangkok. 

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You lost my vote when you named anywhere as being a dump compared to Bangkok. 

Not looking for votes. tell us in what way is PP better than BKK? its not a trick question so take your time.

Can you get a lawyer in Cambodia when your girlfriend throws a wobbly or your landlord keeps your deposit? Is there healthcare insurance?

Seems essential in Thailand.

Should I have said attorney?

There is an expat board there called Khmer440. Same as here, bunch of jaded, expat piss-artists and misfits arguing about semantics.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Not looking for votes. tell us in what way is PP better than BKK? its not a trick question so take your time.

You would not understand the answer even if I gave it to you in capital letters.

If you accept that Bangkok is, by and large, a sh1t hole, you may have a chance......

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Like no one ever got food poisoning in Thailand?

Is that what I said? Yes, of course, no one ever gets food poisoning in Thailand. You're right, I should have been more specific and precise.

Now GFY.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

if you're over 55, drop off $300 at your nearest agent, collect your 1 year multi entry VISA later in the week.

Thailand is also the same. No hassle if you drop 600 USD. If Cambodian agents are charging $300, Thai agents should charge $1408 because Thailand's GDP is four time the GDP of Cambodia but they charge only $600, So, Thai agents are extremely cheap. 

4 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Thailand is also the same. No hassle if you drop 600 USD. If Cambodian agents are charging $300, Thai agents should charge $1408 because Thailand's GDP is four time the GDP of Cambodia but they charge only $600, So, Thai agents are extremely cheap. 

In Cambodia he agent get $20, the VISA costs $280.

In Thailand the agent costs 25,000bht, the VISA extension costs 1,900bht.

Archived