Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

22 minutes ago, smo said:

1) "when they didn't let me in on the roads without paying, Shhhhh". Do you mean there toll charges/ or bribe/ or fine to ride on certain roads?

1) They have check points on all the approaches to the temple complex that stop any foreigners without a ticket before 5pm. But they aren't all at the same place in the parallel roads, so when you see a check point you just turn onto the nearest dirt track through the jungle then come out past the check point at the next road.

2)You get a chain and lock included in all the rentals, find a lamp post or tree and lock it up.

3) last photo was taken on a jungle track between the two checkpoints.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Thailand - and welcome to immigration queues!

"It took ages to clear through immigration. There was a huge queue. I had never seen this fingerprint scanning in Thailand before.

"As I got near I saw Asian people who couldn't speak English being asked to scan their fingers and it was very slow due to the language barrier.

"My early afternoon arrival was delayed then what with these queues I was caught up in the Bangkok rush hour  that I had also wanted to avoid. I got to my destination much later than expected".

On 6/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 6/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, Scouse123 said:

As far as I am concerned the women in the bars, and the young people of Isaarn, male and female, are bone idle.

true to a point but not easy for them to get decent jobs

Salaries are lower I agree, but they won't get qualifications to get decent jobs at all if they don't bother going to school or learn bugger all when they are actually there. I think the schools are crap too.

A Thai degree isn't worth the paper in Europe unless it's from highly recognized Bangkok universities, of which there are few.

15 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Salaries are lower I agree, but they won't get qualifications to get decent jobs at all if they don't bother going to school or learn bugger all when they are actually there. I think the schools are crap too.

A Thai degree isn't worth the paper in Europe unless it's from highly recognized Bangkok universities, of which there are few.

Ive offered quite a few work, simple things like sweep the floor for $10. nope. hold their hand out and ask for $10 sure but do 10 minutes work for it, no way

2 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

Ive offered quite a few work, simple things like sweep the floor for $10. nope. hold their hand out and ask for $10 sure but do 10 minutes work for it, no way

I understand you,

They think they are better than that but they aren't, but they have no shame in asking for money without doing anything.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:49 AM, AlexRich said:

Hospitals not up to western standards

People pissing in the street

Hygiene not that great (food poisoning)

Infrastructure not as good

Malls not that brilliant (Phnom Penh Japanese mall pretty good though)

... interesting place to visit, I'm not sure that I'd want to stay there.

From your font of knowledge , i assume you are a regular visitor to Cambodia , thx.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, phycokiller said:

I got the feeling its more the mothers that do the pimping in Thailand, but its difficult to know, its not something they will talk openly about obviously. whatever in Cambodia I havent met a girl who would have a long term relationship unless I support the father and brothers. but Im just one person and theres ten million people here so who knows? Its certainly more hand out in Cambodia. people want money for nothing. which is why so many have nothing.

Correct.

Because their mothers , have been in the trade  easy money, better than rice fields.

i cant say i blame them.

was there in jan,never again average looking hos wanting $100 usd l/t,get half a pint of beer for 75 cents but its draft beer,hotels bit cheaper than patt,$30 for visa  at airport,takes up full pagev of your passport,expensive to  get to,£100 sterling bkk-p/p return,bkk-saigon [twice as far]£100,trouble at airport departing,staff couldn,t understand a thai retirement visa,take off was over an hour late,very nearly missed connection in bkk,in short i would not recomend it.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:17 PM, VBF said:

And young guys have more choice - some old guys are so desperate to get a "partner" that they'll do or pay anything.

Old guys have money , pensions , thai young ladies like , take care .

Young guys , what do you have , thai ladies want , sweet FA..

On 5/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, madmen said:

I live next soi up from 11 for twelve years and frequent soi 11 regularly. The Only child beggar I have EVER seen is the one with his mum sitting in the narrow stretch of footpath. many many more in PP. Hawkers here dont even rate and the TUK TUK drivers here may occasionally bip their horns at you but those in PP will drive you mad on every street corner.

I live in the same soi as you. It USED TO BE only 1-2 child beggars in previous years, but lately they've been multiplying. Last weekend walking up to Levels I saw 2 sitting in the narrow stretch footpath, another 2 between there and Oskar, and a group of them harassing people all night in front of Alot. Unless you are firm with them (a loud "mai!" does the trick) they won't leave you alone, follow you, tug on your shirt, etc. - all of this is orchestrated by old women who seem to run the show. These children could not be their kids as they're too old, so they must "rent" or "borrow" them from others and make them "work". Truly disgusting...

32 minutes ago, kingdong said:

average looking hos wanting $100 usd l/t

Funny. Minimum wage is $182. They'd be happy with $50. Local expats give them more like $20-30 from what I hear. Also depends on time of year - when I went in August the place was full of desperate girls and very few customers. When I went in January too many customers too few girls.

Getting tired of Thailand after 17 years.  Tired of visa hassles.  I have no problem qualifying but how many hoops do I have to jump through?  My tourist oriented business drying up as well.  Maybe a new adventure?

Been researching different countries.  Cambodia seems the best.  

Just spent 10 days there.  PP, Kampot and SR.  Had a great time and feeling very positive.  

Met a girl and she traveled with me the whole trip.  Lovely girl and I had a good time with her even though I know she is lying to me.  

Overall I have a very good impression of Cambodia.  No problem with the electricity while I was there.  Wifi a bit slow and dropped out now and then.  Not much of a drinker but draft beers for $0.50 is a heckuva deal.  Food cheap but not as good as Thailand.  Eat in real restaurants where they cook to order.  Cheap housing at $150 for a place that i would not live in up to $450 for a really nice two bed apartment.  I pay over $700 dollars for my house in Thailand.

Go in as a tourist and have an agent convert to a business one year visa.  Don't have to report your residence, no 90 day reports.  Can have a business, buy property (I think).  Cars expensive in Thailand; 2-3 times as much in Cambodia.  

Didn't like PP, liked Kampot a lot as I am a small town kind of  guy.  SR is OK too.  

I am going back in a few weeks for more 'research' with the same girl.  Maybe she will change my opinion of Pnom Penh.  Will have a serious talk about the lies.  Although I don't really care.  I don't mind being scammed if i know I am being scammed.

If I move depends on the next High Season here in Thailand and in the event would take place in May of next year so I plan on several exploratory visits to Cambodia in the coming months.  At this point I am upbeat about Cambodia.

2 hours ago, williet98248 said:

Met a girl and she traveled with me the whole trip.  Lovely girl and I had a good time with her even though I know she is lying to me.  

I am going back in a few weeks for more 'research' with the same girl.  Maybe she will change my opinion of Pnom Penh.  Will have a serious talk about the lies.  Although I don't really care.  I don't mind being scammed if i know I am being scammed.

lying seems to be the khmer way, more so then thailand.  i mean ive only got to know a dozen or so out of several million so Im generalizing, but they all lied and it was unnecessary and very obvious. i guess it works within their culture. and you cant change it, its a shame because they are a lot of fun to be with but it dooms any relationship eventually. it really puts them at a disadvantage, Im sure its one reason the country is so poor, but the only way to stop them doing it is to end the relationship. dont let it put you off tho, its all entertainment

10 hours ago, williet98248 said:

Go in as a tourist and have an agent convert to a business one year visa.  Don't have to report your residence, no 90 day reports.  Can have a business, buy property (I think).  Cars expensive in Thailand; 2-3 times as much in Cambodia.  

They have retirement VISAs now, 1 year multi entry for $280-$300 from an agent (inc agent fee).

If your agent is still talking business VISA, find someone else.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe the lying thing is a Thai and Cambodia thing, it comes so natural, I've even wondered whether they learn it at school. Only little white lies for me so no big deal but hard to make sense of what they say sometimes

yes. mostly white lies, altho usually with the intention of getting more money but it has the opposite effect, and also makes you suspect them when they are actually telling the truth

I am moving back to Cambodia, ( Kep) next year, My khmer gf has been here for the last 8 years and although loves her job and the food, wants to be closer to family and with all the regulations, leaving money in bank, ( an next year  am sure required health care) changes and costs, Well time for  a bit of a new adventure

Easy visa, cars double the price and less selection, but motorcycles about the same,

Accommodations more an terrible value compared to Thailand,

Local food is ok and cheap but as we own a restaurant with her sister in Kep eating well will not be a  problem.

Cambodia is not for everyone, just about everything, except drinking and smoking cigarettes, cost more, its rough an dirty an the roads, hospitals and such suck  but,

it does have its own charm.

AND 7/11 announced they will start building  stores over there!!!!

Now if only Big C will begin construction!!

yes. mostly white lies, altho usually with the intention of getting more money but it has the opposite effect, and also makes you suspect them when they are actually telling the truth
for me it's not about money from me, it's more they don't want to tell you the full story if they get money from other sources

What are Khmer bargirls like? My main concern is trustworthiness, i.e. I don't want to wake up late in the afternoon feeling like I've been hit in the head with a 6 pound club hammer just to find that all my belongings are missing.

Do NOT come in on a tourist visa if you plan to go for either Business or Retirement extension. You can't do it and will have to leave the country and come back (or you can but very, very difficult and expensive). Come in on an "ordinary" visa.

If 50 or over, unless you plan to work, go for retirement visa. Currently no financial requirements.

If under 50 then business visa but note that for future extensions they will want to see a work permit.

There is apparently now also a category for people married to a Cambodian citizen.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, phycokiller said:

for me it's not about money from me, it's more they don't want to tell you the full story if they get money from other sources

yes, but thats because they fear your money will stop if they do

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

What are Khmer bargirls like? My main concern is trustworthiness, i.e. I don't want to wake up late in the afternoon feeling like I've been hit in the head with a 6 pound club hammer just to find that all my belongings are missing.

bargirls are fine, freelancers like at soyra mall are mostly theives. just keep phone, cash, laptop etc in a safe and you will be ok

Archived