Mailing common non narcotic prescription drugs from Canada to Thailand

expat1010

I take 3 prescription last daily:

Coversyl Plus 4mg/1.25mg

Rosuvastatin Calcium 10mg

Febuxostat 80mg

I get these for almost free in Canada and was wondering if anyone has refilled their prescriptions in their home country and then had them shipped to Thailand.

So my first question is: Is it possible to ship non narcotic prescription drugs to Thailand for personal use?

And my second question is: what is the most reliable company for mailing these items to Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You cannot legally import pharmaceuticals by mail without a license from the Thai FDA which you cannot get (reserved for licensed pharmacies, hospitals etc). That said, in practice customs has been known to allow through small quantities if sent by regular air mail and not a courier.  No guarantee, but usually gets through.

Sending by any company/courier pretty well guarantees you will not get it, and you'll get a lot of aggravation about it as well.

You can bring meds for personal use in with you, the law says 30 day supply but they are not strict about it and usually don't count out the numbers of tablets as long as it looks consistent with personal use i.e. nit a suitcase full.

Be forewarned that Febuxostat is not available in Thailand. the other two meds are, but pricey though if you are willing to take the 2 drugs that make up Coversyl Plus separately you might be able to get them in a local generic form.

While there is no local generic brand of rosuvastatin, there are many local generic brands of simvastatin and you might ask your doctor whether feasible to change.

• 6 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, Sheryl said:

You cannot legally import pharmaceuticals by mail without a license from the Thai FDA which you cannot get (reserved for licensed pharmacies, hospitals etc). That said, in practice customs has been known to allow through small quantities if sent by regular air mail and not a courier.  No guarantee, but usually gets through.

Sending by any company/courier pretty well guarantees you will not get it, and you'll get a lot of aggravation about it as well.

You can bring meds for personal use in with you, the law says 30 day supply but they are not strict about it and usually don't count out the numbers of tablets as long as it looks consistent with personal use i.e. nit a suitcase full.

Be forewarned that Febuxostat is not available in Thailand. the other two meds are, but pricey though if you are willing to take the 2 drugs that make up Coversyl Plus separately you might be able to get them in a local generic form.

While there is no local generic brand of rosuvastatin, there are many local generic brands of simvastatin and you might ask your doctor whether feasible to change.

Hello Sheryl, there must be an appeal process with the Thai FDA, right?  I use a generic version of Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium trihydrate) which is hard to find here in Thailand.  But much more important than the fact that it is generic (and cheap) is the fact that it is a TIME RELEASE format, apparently not available at all in Thailand ---- I have not yet talked with a pharmacist who was aware of it.  The time release function is critical to successful control of "Barrett's Esophagus", a very serious condition where the tissue of esophagus has been altered by the duration and frequency of acid reflux so that it can readily morph into esophagul cancer.  Acid reflux is a very big deal for me ---- I need either Nexium or it's generic in time release format.  

An "appeal process" for what?

If you mean a ptocess for applying for an import locense there is one but geared to licensed companies.

I do recall one case -- only one -- where an individual said they had been able to get one for a personal med. You can try if you like and have a lot of time and patience.

However even with a license you are better off just having small amount sent by regular mail and hoping it gets in under the radar (as it usually will). If it comes to the point where you have to show an import license that means it has already been flagged by customs at which point you will have to pay a very substantial tariff. 

Archived