Import Duty & Vat Exemption/refund On Goods Imported For Re-export

I have read that for goods imported that are subsequently re-exported, import duty and VAT will be refunded.I could imagine a system were an importer could claim refunds of VAT and tarrif duty by showing evidence that the same goods had been re-exported, but I can't find any detailed information on this at all.

I have also read (on www.thaigov.go.th and www.customs.go.th) that "Goods imported for re-export are generally exempted from import duty and VAT." I read on the customs website about exemption under BOI. Surely BOI projects would not fall under the "general" case ? Also it seems to me that this scheme is for importers making large imports infrequently. So, what is the general case for exemption for goods imported for re-export ? I have a business in Hong Kong where we import goods in bulk from Europe by freight forwarder, courier and postal parcels, both big and small - with several incoming shipments every day - and re-export them to individuals and companies in Japan and Australia, by courier and post - again, with several outbound shipments every day. I am wondering whether it is feasible to move the business to Thailand. Any further information or links to the same, would be much appreciated.

The VAT and import duty situation is quite complex in Thailand for a normal business and exporters have problems reclaiming VAT.

I would consider that Singapore may be a better option although more expensive for fixed costs the savings on day to day costs and cash flow in reclaim of VAT although there are some duty free areas but I believe these are for shipping, although may also be at airports.

You would probably need to look at a postion in airports and see if you can work with in the reexport regs of Thailand.

You would need to invest in a legal advisor to look at the possibilities.