Mosquito Vaccinations? Should we get it now?

Insect-borne diseases

Thanks to its hot, wet, muggy climate, you’re almost certainly going to encounter mosquitos at some point during your trip to Cambodia, which makes Malaria a real threat – albeit a manageable one, if you stock up on anti-malarial tablets.

Other mosquito-borne diseases you should consider getting vaccinated for (especially if you plan on staying in-country for more than four weeks) are Dengue and Chikungunya fever. Both are endemic in Cambodia and outbreaks are a risk during the May-November wet season.

The ruins of Angkor Wat really are a sight to behold – but make sure you stock up on antimalarial tablets before visiting as it’s a hotbed of mosquitos.

Should we get it now?

According to both the World Health Organization and the manufacturer of the vaccine (Sanofi Pasteur) only people between the ages of 9 and 45 and/or who have already had Dengue fever should get the vaccination. Somewhat paradoxically, if a person has not had Dengue before: 

there was evidence it may worsen subsequent infections.

There is currently no vaccine for Chikungunya fever as far as I can tell.

Correct on both counts. No vaccine available for Chikunya and Dengue vaccine is recommended only for those who have already had Fengue at least once.

Malaria is close to being eradicated in Cambodia and transmission is limited to deep jungle/forest. Malaria prophylaxis is not indicated.

A mosquito borne disease that one should get vaccinated for is Japanese B encephalitis.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Correct on both counts. No vaccine available for Chikunya and Dengue vaccine is recommended only for those who have already had Fengue at least once.

Malaria is close to being eradicated in Cambodia and transmission is limited to deep jungle/forest. Malaria prophylaxis is not indicated.

A mosquito borne disease that one should get vaccinated for is Japanese B encephalitis.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I got this vaccine, for the first time, in the fall of 2017.  Do I need to get it again or get a booster?

10 hours ago, davhend25 said:

I got this vaccine, for the first time, in the fall of 2017.  Do I need to get it again or get a booster?

Why did u get this Japanese mosquito vac?  Is this a problem in the capital?

It is endemic nationwide.  Vaccination highly advisable. Transmisson in the heart of PP is unlikely as pigs are the reservoir but you don't have to go very far into the city outskirts to be at risk.

It is a series of 2 injections at least 1 week apart and then a booster is recommended after a year or  more.

Can get it at Pasteur Institute (also private clinics but will be cheaper at Pasteur and quality assured)

http://www.pasteur-kh.org/international-vaccination-2/

On 5/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, DingDongLing said:

Thanks to its hot, wet, muggy climate, you’re almost certainly going to encounter mosquitos at some point during your trip to Cambodia, which makes Malaria a real threat

Was in PP for 10 days in April, near the river the whole time, not one mosquito bite.

Was in Siem Reap for 10 days in January, again not one bite.

Archived