Laptop Power: U.s. Vs Thailand

moondragon

If your Laptop has a two pronged plug you shouldnt have a problem using a Thai outlet, If your laptop plug is three pronged then you will need an adaptor, they are available just about everywhere.

Check the external power supply for you laptop. There will be a line for Voltage input .. If it reads something like INPUT 1xx-2xxV then you are fine if it only has 1xxV then you would need a step down convertor.

/SM

• 2 years later...
If your Laptop has a two pronged plug you shouldnt have a problem using a Thai outlet, If your laptop plug is three pronged then you will need an adaptor, they are available just about everywhere.

Check the external power supply for you laptop. There will be a line for Voltage input .. If it reads something like INPUT 1xx-2xxV then you are fine if it only has 1xxV then you would need a step down convertor.

/SM

I will be visiting from the USA with an HP Pavilion laptop. It has the standard US 110 Volt two pronged physical connection. Are you saying here that I need not worry about the physical or the electrical issues if mine says 1xx-2xx V AND has a two pronged USA type connection?

/SM

I will be visiting from the USA with an HP Pavilion laptop. It has the standard US 110 Volt two pronged physical connection. Are you saying here that I need not worry about the physical or the electrical issues if mine says 1xx-2xx V AND has a two pronged USA type connection?

Yeah all laptop adapters nowadays can handle 110 - 250V, Thailand has 220V. You don't need to worry.

The adapter plug in case you need one costs about 50 cents here in Thailand.

Note that the same is not true for most other electrical appliances. I have fried an external hard drive this way, I figured it would be dual voltage until I smelled the plastic burning... :o