raising duck need roof ?

Yes. Enclosures for ducks and chickens should have a roof of some kind offering the fowl protection from the elements. In fact, every enclosure I've seen, both in Thailand and back in my home country, has had a small shed in which the fowl can be locked into at night for additional protection. This is usually a lot more secure than the outside fence. Consider it a "second line of defense" from roaming packs of stray dogs and other nocturnal animals of prey. 

Take a gander (no pun intended) at these threads. They both look at enclosures / coops. 

There was another thread running here, quite some time ago, in which the poster uploaded photos of his enclosure and shed. I can't find it at the moment. 

It is vital that there is clean drinking water in both the outside "day time" enclosure and the smaller, more secure "night time" holding pen. 

59 minutes ago, djayz said:

Yes. Enclosures for ducks and chickens should have a roof of some kind offering the fowl protection from the elements. In fact, every enclosure I've seen, both in Thailand and back in my home country, has had a small shed in which the fowl can be locked into at night for additional protection. This is usually a lot more secure than the outside fence. Consider it a "second line of defense" from roaming packs of stray dogs and other nocturnal animals of prey. 

Take a gander (no pun intended) at these threads. They both look at enclosures / coops.  

There was another thread running here, quite some time ago, in which the poster uploaded photos of his enclosure and shed. I can't find it at the moment. 

It is vital that there is clean drinking water in both the outside "day time" enclosure and the smaller, more secure "night time" holding pen. 

Good advices, thanks mate !

The house also needs to be naturally ventilated and in a shaded dry position if possible.

If laying ducks allow space inside the house for nest boxes and remember you need to access the house yourself to keep it clean and collect eggs.

Ducks don't perch like chickens so the floor needs some form of litter.    You can use rice shell but should not use wood shavings from treated wood.    Rice straw is ok but can cause a bird to trip.

Keep the inside of the house dry so consider where you will place and what kind of drinker you will use.

Try to avoid food spillage inside the house, again think about shape of feeder.   Ducks are very susceptible to toxins.

When accessing the house make sure the ducks know you are coming so that they don't panic.

Beware of snakes under and inside the house, the house should be rodent proof.

i didn't bother with any of that, bit of wood propped up in a corner of the garden to shield from rain.

Only had two, and they would lay the eggs where they thought I couldn't find them.

Bit of chicken wire so we could confine them when we went out, but they would normally wander around all over the garden, road and neighbours gardens, with an occasional long walk around the moobaan.

I'd round them up on my bicycle and they'd fly back in front of me.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, djayz said:

Excellent point about the importance of "clean" drinking water.   

This is not only part of its natural diet but plays a very important role in its well being, and thus help it maintain good health.  Water is key to the ducks maintaining a good natural immune system.    The main entry point is via the eyes.   Secondly the duck will often sneeze in to the water, this is to free the nasal passages of dust, especially if feed ( pellets / mash ) quality is poor.    Thirdly, it is vital that the duck maintains good condition of its feathers to help maintain body temperature, and of course in the wild to have good feathers on its wings to take flight.    Fourthly, preening is a social activity important in its everyday life.    The condition of its feathers can also be an indicator of the birds general health, as of course is its faeces.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

i didn't bother with any of that, bit of wood propped up in a corner of the garden to shield from rain.

Only had two, and they would lay the eggs where they thought I couldn't find them.

Bit of chicken wire so we could confine them when we went out, but they would normally wander around all over the garden, road and neighbours gardens, with an occasional long walk around the moobaan.

I'd round them up on my bicycle and they'd fly back in front of me.

A good way to help maintain a health risk to people and their livestock ...

51 minutes ago, noopin2014 said:

Hi guys, i just got some very young pekin duck (3-4) days. Do i need to set a specific installation for them ? Can i let them with young chicks (6 weeks old) ?

Cheers

The 'installation' should have been made ready before you got your ducklings, they respond quickly and badly to poor brooding conditions in the first few days of life.

Ideally you should not mix birds with such an age gap together, vaccinated or otherwise.

Have any of the birds been vaccinated, if so what for ?    Good management of your own birds, other local farms and humans depends on a suitable vaccination program, e.g. bird flu which does exist in Thailand.  The ducklings should have received vaccination for some diseases at day 1.    The main killer diseases of very young ducks is DVH and DP.

How many ducklings do you have ?    Are they all females ??? meaning is that what you asked for.

The ducklings will need to be kept warm ( artificial heating such as a gas brooder ) and their feeding and drinking equipment appropriate for their size.   They should be kept in a small enclosure so that they cannot stray, become lost and chill.     This should be for at least 2 weeks.

If the heating is non-existent or wrong ducklings often suffer from what is called 'wet back', this condition causes a breakdown in their natural immune system, their feather condition becomes poor.

The food should be suitable in nutrition and size ( if pellets ) and of good quality, ducks spill a lot of feed if the feed container is not good, this spilt feed can become mouldy.

Ensure good clean water and feed is provided every day and that the containers are cleaned.

A small number of ducklings, 3 - 6 may sometimes be brooded by a female chicken, if she is broody.

OP... the ducklings need a brooder with heat!

They need a cool end and a hot end to the brooder …. so the bigger the better.  

With only a few ducklings I had success with a desk lamp and put a thermometer under it to check it was not getting too hot... so I could lower or raise it.

You won't believe how messy and dirty they will be.  I won't be doing it again.

You need to clean them over several times a day if you have a lot.  Otherwise they will get sick.

Once grown up the outdoor pen needs covering to protect form strong sun.  They can soon overheat if they don't have a pond or cool water to swim or paddle in, so the shade is very important.

Mine were free range... lucky we had a small communal lake near our house and they lived on that in the daytime and would come home to their pen in the evenings to get locked in (otherwise pythons or street dogs would get them in the night).

If they are Muscovy ducks and free range they will find most of their own food.  The pekin ducks and other domestic ducks (or penned up ducks) need proper duck feed in larger quantities.  Make sure you only have a few males.... obviously they will just be eating food and no eggs!!!  Also they will attack and stress out the females from constantly trying to mate them.  The females don't need males to lay eggs so you might not want to keep any males at all.

It's important to feed your ducklings a proper ducking feed... not just chicken chick starter, because the chick starter is too low in protein and lacking niacin.  If they don't get enough niacin they get deformed legs and can't walk.  I could not get the proper feed so I added brewers yeast to the chicken chick feed half a cup to 10 pounds of feed.  You can moisten the food slightly to make it easy for them to eat, otherwise they mouthfuls to the drinking water and make their own sloppy soup, shaking their heads about and splattering the mixture over the brooder and room lol.

If you have any questions you can PM me.  

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

With only a few ducklings I had success with a desk lamp and put a thermometer under it to check it was not getting too hot... so I could lower or raise it.

You need to clean them over several times a day if you have a lot.  Otherwise they will get sick.

Once grown up the outdoor pen needs covering to protect form strong sun.  They can soon overheat if they don't have a pond or cool water to swim or paddle in, so the shade is very important.

Mine were free range... lucky we had a small communal lake near our house and they lived on that in the daytime and would come home to their pen in the evenings to get locked in (otherwise pythons or street dogs would get them in the night).

If they are Muscovy ducks and free range they will find most of their own food.  The pekin ducks and other domestic ducks (or penned up ducks) need proper duck feed in larger quantities.  Make sure you only have a few males.... obviously they will just be eating food and no eggs!!!  Also they will attack and stress out the females from constantly trying to mate them.  The females don't need males to lay eggs so you might not want to keep any males at all.

It's important to feed your ducklings a proper ducking feed... not just chicken chick starter, because the chick starter is too low in protein and lacking niacin.  If they don't get enough niacin they get deformed legs and can't walk.  I could not get the proper feed so I added brewers yeast to the chicken chick feed half a cup to 10 pounds of feed.  You can moisten the food slightly to make it easy for them to eat, otherwise they mouthfuls to the drinking water and make their own sloppy soup, shaking their heads about and splattering the mixture over the brooder and room lol.

Fantastic mate ! I will contact you sure ????

On 6/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, jak2002003 said:

"OP... the ducklings need a brooder with heat!"

Yes, even in Thailand, even in rainy season.

Some years ago one of the farms I was visiting had nearly 15,000 imported breeding ducks, who were reaching close to peak production. go in to moult.   

The bird were in open houses, it rained cold rain followed by a strong cold wind, the fans had not been switched off.

The weather this year in the rainy season has had temps dropping to 20C at night. often with a wind.

The point about a brooder with heat, whatever form it may be, means it should be available for 3 day old ducklings.

I agree that there should be a range of temps within the brooding area.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, noopin2014 said:

Hi, sorry again to ask. According to you which is the best fence to enclose 1 rai land to raise ducks and chicken, i will choose the 150cm or 165cm length model.

Thanks a bunch !1024112.jpg.1c4484ffc5fca5e888efb6f127bf19f3.jpg20190426_1091731_002.jpg.8b750f8eae2a33812a3d55fa62357d96.jpg

Choose the strongest and tallest one.

Street / village dogs can be a problem and I have had them rip through wire netting to break into the chicken coop a few times (and then go for me when I tried to chase them off at 3am in the morning)….The top pic looks the strongest one.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, jak2002003 said:

Choose the strongest and tallest one.

Street / village dogs can be a problem and I have had them rip through wire netting to break into the chicken coop a few times (and then go for me when I tried to chase them off at 3am in the morning)….The top pic looks the strongest one.

thanks mate

You dont need any shelter for ducks just water that is the most important because they will not lay eggs unless they can bath in water regularly also you need a fence as suggested here because they must feel secure - but they are outdoor animals and foragers that are excellent companions for a garden as they eat slugs just use raised beds and chicken wire to keep em out your seedlings

If possible make a lake and plant trees so they have shelter id imagine bamboo is a fast grower thats what we use in the south back home and just let them dig around the lake and get into it

The most important is they feel safe and have constant access to water but they must not be closed in

On 6/12/2019 at 3:57 PM, MartiniMan said:

You dont need any shelter for ducks just water that is the most important because they will not lay eggs unless they can bath in water regularly also you need a fence as suggested here because they must feel secure - but they are outdoor animals and foragers that are excellent companions for a garden as they eat slugs just use raised beds and chicken wire to keep em out your seedlings

If possible make a lake and plant trees so they have shelter id imagine bamboo is a fast grower thats what we use in the south back home and just let them dig around the lake and get into it

The most important is they feel safe and have constant access to water but they must not be closed in

No shelter !?   Ducks like / need water but DO NOT like to be wet as it affects the birds immune system and feather condition causing the duck to become cold

On 6/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, RJRS1301 said:

This could be used as an enclosure at night. Also moveable.

Not sure if you are from Australia but I like the caravan for chicken.  Good for moving to fresh pasture.

I am surprised that people here are not using "green fodder' on small scale for other livestock ( chickens and ducks too of course ).    Works well in other countries I have seen.   Thailand of course may not have suitable / cheap enough grains.

Archived