Have Friend Wants To Re-learn To Program

jinjok

help! im coming back to thailand after being away for 5 mos. my friend whoused to program for dodgy govt agencies in europe during arpanet days and left yrs ago wants to (at my encouragement and as a time killer) to re-learn to program. his forte' was as he tells me -writing scripts.

i have encouraged him to learn java. its new, trendy and x-platform. even xml.

he wants me to buy: Windows 2000 Scripting Guide i questioned this as w2k is not even supported anymore but he informs the scripts are valid, etc...

dont get me wrong, im sure he can learn many things from it - but it is a 2 legacy systems away from vista.

can you impress upon me how there are better books and why he might want to learn something else? my i.t. days and knowledge have dwindled to not much after the crash in 2001 and job ewent to india.

thanks

Guest Reimar

May you better check for e-Books. This can easily found via Torrent sites or other. Printed books maybe still available by Book Chest at Fortune Town IT-Mall or other outlets of that company. but you need to do the research by yourself.

Hi jinjok,

Here's the URL of a list of 1200 e-books regarding pretty much everything to do with computing. I'm not going through it all but I thought you might find something appropriate in here. If you want any of them the whole download it is a whopper (it's a torrent) and I can give you link by PM if you want it as I'm not sure if I can post it on here without getting into trouble, actually I'm sure I can't. Here is a link to the LIST only though not the torrent.

http://www.freefilehosting.org/public/39157/Over1100GeneralComputerEbooksList.txt

Cheers

thanks but the book is cheap and there is something about reading a book esp for long periods that is far superior and esp when you are working on computer @ same time. besides - hes paying for it.

but i never thought about ebooks/torrents - thanks!

thanks but the book is cheap and there is something about reading a book esp for long periods that is far superior and esp when you are working on computer @ same time. besides - hes paying for it.

but i never thought about ebooks/torrents - thanks!

No worries and I do know what you mean about reading an actual book and when you friend is paying I would be buying as well! Just something to keep in mind though if you can't find whatever you're looking for anywhere in the shops and in a worse case scenario you can always print out an e-book so you get the best of both worlds.

Cheers