New health network promotes milk drinking in people of all ages

webfact

New health network promotes milk drinking in people of all ages

c069d1408dac2af06176636a50b2411c.jpg

BANGKOK, 31 May 2019 (NNT) - A new health network "Good Milk for All Ages, Drink Daily" is promoting daily milk drinking in people of all ages on the World Milk Day 2019, while survey shows Thai people consume less milk from misunderstandings.

A behavioral survey conducted in 2019 by Suan Dusit Poll shows 50% of Thai youth in 13-20 years old age group consume less milk, while one-fourth of people aged more than 60 years do not drink dairy. People from this survey who do not drink dairy opt to drink soy milk at 43%, coffee at 22%, and drinking yogurt at 14%. The most common reasons for them not to drink dairy milk is from misunderstandings regarding milk quality, leading to the low average milk consumption rate in Thailand at 18 liter a year, or only 2 glasses per week.

The Healthy Lifestyle Promotion Section Director Pairoj Saonuam from Thai Health Promotion Foundation said the foundation is working with the Good Milk for All Ages, Drink Daily network to promote milk consumption, especially on this year’s World Milk Day which emphasizes the importance of milk consumption for health. The foundation is campaigning for Thai people to drink at least 1-2 glasses of milk daily.

Milk contains nutrients in all five categories, especially protein which helps with physical growth and damages repair, and calcium which is essential for bone strength.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-31
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Milk contains nutrients in all five categories, especially protein which helps with physical growth and damages repair, and calcium which is essential for bone strength.

Yes, this works well with young people.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

There's a good reason milk is low on the Asian food agenda - lactose intolerance. Interestingly, some dairy derived products are less of a problem, which may explain why Thais aren't so adverse to gobbling down the odd yoghurt, ice-cream, or cheese topped pizza.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

As promoted by the dairy industry, of course it is for the benefit of the people, not their bottom line. 

Just stick with tofu that has far superior health benefits than cows milk.

Do you mean "soya milk", rather than tofu? Whichever, these two products are remarkably unhealthy and not a good substitute for dairy milk, on a number of scores. Anti-nutrients and high levels of oestrogen and progesterone being amongst them, as well as the numerous agri-chemicals commonly used in growing soy beans and likelihood it is a GMO variety. 

These arguments aside for not consuming soya prodcts, I also would not be an advocate for Thais consuming more dairy, given their propensity to lactose intolerance and the crappy additives put in the milk products here. There are numerous other alternatives to dairy milk, however, with far more healthy properties. ????

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nausea said:

There's a good reason milk is low on the Asian food agenda - lactose intolerance. Interestingly, some dairy derived products are less of a problem, which may explain why Thais aren't so adverse to gobbling down the odd yoghurt, ice-cream, or cheese topped pizza.

It is ignorance perhaps.

10's of thousands of Thais everyday sucking down several of those Carnation condensed milk 1000 calorie coffee drinks.

All the milk and sugar they in some way believe it is all an ok pick me up.  When in reality, it is a calorie laden diabetes death warrant.

I hate those drinks, but Thais certainly sadly are in love with them.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plachon said:

Do you mean "soya milk", rather than tofu? Whichever, these two products are remarkably unhealthy and not a good substitute for dairy milk, on a number of scores. Anti-nutrients and high levels of oestrogen and progesterone being amongst them, as well as the numerous agri-chemicals commonly used in growing soy beans and likelihood it is a GMO variety. 

These arguments aside for not consuming soya prodcts, I also would not be an advocate for Thais consuming more dairy, given their propensity to lactose intolerance and the crappy additives put in the milk products here. There are numerous other alternatives to dairy milk, however, with far more healthy properties. ????

I'd really like to see where you got this information from.

In fact, back up your post with detailed science.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Good Milk for All Ages, Drink Daily"

I'd say they are sucking on the right t*t with that advice .. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

, and calcium which is essential for bone strength.

I had compound fractures of the leg in an road accident yrs ago .. The Orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt it was a great believer in the benefits of milk in the healing process and told me to drink loads .. but 'cos I was stuck on the bed with leg in traction had buzz the nurses frequently to take away the  cardboard bottles full of p*ss afterwards .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, isaanpaul said:

Where all the milk come from in Thailand?I see all 7/11 tesco's Bigc's full of fresh milk every day.

But if I drive in the country I see sometimes a few skinny cow's under a tree,so where come all this milk from?

I think it is mostley milk powder from China and in the factory mixed with a little fresh milk so they can call it fresh milk but it is afcourse not.

It taste also different from the milk in Europe.

I generally agree with you, lots of the milk on sale is made from milk powder, but would point out, different breeds of cows have different tasting milk.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Brigand said:

Seems they are talking about bone growth/sustainability but forget to mention that to increase bone density in the above 30s then you need to consider more than just milk or calcium. They should be recommending magnesium, zinc, fish oil (omega-3), vitamin C, vitamin K and a collagen supplement (25% of bone structure is collagen) as they all have direct proven benefits regarding this subject (even if it might confuse them). On top of that, then the usual fitness thing too (like walking/jogging helps increase bone formation) depending on age and situation. Scoff/eat a lot of the leafy green and yellow veg as they are great for this stuff along with walnuts and cashew nuts. The cynical side of me says to me that this report was probably sponsored by the milk industry/companies or an ill-informed government department that doesn't know too much really. It's not as cut-and-dry as they make it appear in the article.   

I would put money on the milk industry as the driving force  followed up by the government sheep bleating out of date nonsense at the behest of the industry. 

Milk can in some cases serve a useful purpose in undernourished children - but that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, good luck then as dairy consumption has been linked to Prostate and other 

funded by the milk/dairy industry? ofcoz people not drinking enough milk. plant protein imo way superior than animal based protein. pretty sure the milk industry doesnt agree with this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, plachon said:

All if what you write is still not well known.  Thanks for sharing.  I would add that there quite probably are additives to the cows - antibiotics, growth hormones, food laced with paraquat.

As for the poster who said "we all have to go sometime" and the few who liked the comment, its how we go as much as when.

34 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

All if what you write is still not well known.  Thanks for sharing.  I would add that there quite probably are additives to the cows - antibiotics, growth hormones, food laced with paraquat.

As for the poster who said "we all have to go sometime" and the few who liked the comment, its how we go as much as when.

Err, nope.

4 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Just keep breast feeding for as long as you can and as long as she lets.....

Evidently you're thinking of this great scene from After Life - I particularly enjoyed the bit about making bread at the end 

5 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Any article praising the nutritional value of drinking cows milk has been bought and payed for by the dairy industry

I've always assumed "any article praising the nutritional value of X has been bought and paid for by some vested interest or other"