1 Month Till Songkran

buriramboy

When i lived in Bangkok, i didn't used to mind Songkran, it lasted only 3 days or so and was bearable but here in Pattaya it goes on for a week and is just downright dangerous. Hence i try and get out of Thailand for that week, and was just curious to what other members did, i also know that some people love Songkran in Pattaya or Khao San Road and come to Thailand in April especially for it. For me last year was Angeles in the Philipines and i reckon there must have been well over a hundred Bangkok and Pattaya x-pats there that week.

Anyway staying or going and if you go where do you go???????

BB

When i lived in Bangkok, i didn't used to mind Songkran, it lasted only 3 days or so and was bearable but here in Pattaya it goes on for a week and is just downright dangerous. Hence i try and get out of Thailand for that week, and was just curious to what other members did, i also know that some people love Songkran in Pattaya or Khao San Road and come to Thailand in April especially for it. For me last year was Angeles in the Philipines and i reckon there must have been well over a hundred Bangkok and Pattaya x-pats there that week.

Anyway staying or going and if you go where do you go???????

BB

comming

Staying (in Chiang Mai).

I sometimes go away to Bangkok where it is easy to stay dry, but I hate having to return so quickly.

I'll play the first day and spend the rest watching DVDs in air-con comfort. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Been promising myself I will come for Songkran for the last 5 years - but ended coming to LOS in February and August. This year I arrive in LOS on 09 April and spending the whole time in Issan.

The other half and I will probably venture to Udon Thani for a couple of days. What is Songkran like there?

Peter

Songkran is great, i was in Samui & Patong in 2005, Had a great time wetting people who didnt want to get wet. They loved it because the Donz wet them.

Lucky buggers

Hmmm.. that sounds like a troll to me.. :D

totster :o

Went to Koh Sarn road last year and got all mucked up and wet.

The year before was in Phuket and got all mucked up and wet, not to mention being bowled off my motorbike by a bucket of water with ice in the face.

This year I am escaping and getting as far out of Thailand as my little leggies will allow axs it's no longer any fun.

Edited by Casanundra

Leaving Chiang Mai and spending time in Isaan! I would like to go to Sukothai and see what the traditional Songkran is like

I'll be leaving the North (chiang rai) and heading to Isaan (nongkhai) also . I imagine the small rural villages of Isaan are as traditional as anywhere. I've always enjoyed songkran. It's like Christmas in the west in that it's the time of year families make a point to come home and be together. I assume the small town I lived in in Nongkhai is more the norm than the exception in that most working age young adults/adults find work in larger cities, bangkok and the south but come home for Songkran. Thus, it was always fun hanging out with them and playing water with the kids over that week. As everyone is out it's a great time to make new friends and experience thailand.

I'll probably fly to Udon, then rent a motorbike and slowly drive to songkhom, Nongkhai letting everyone have their fun dousing me with water along the way. It was great fun last year. I don't much enjoy the big party scenes in Chiang Mai and Khao San but I do enjoy the small family affairs in rural villages.

Edited by CSS

Years ago, when I did not live in Pattaya or anywhere in Thailand, I would always try to get here for that week of fun. Now that I've lived here for more than 4 years, and even before that, I have come to HATE the holiday. Yes, it is just an excuse for drunken farang buttheads to declare water war on any fool who crosses their path. Quite inconsiderate and rude, in my opinion. Now I usually leave the country and head to a non buddhist one such as PI, China, or even back to ehe USA. I might even consider a buddhist country that is not caught up in the madness. I'm not sure if I'll go to Vietnam this year, or back to the US for this period. But if I stay here, I will be a prisoner in my townhouse for a week, being able to go out ONLY in the early morning hours. I hate this time of year. Other than that, I love being here......STILL.

Songkran

Hi, I quite enjoy Songkran at Khao San since many years, but after 2 days of 12 hours I usually can't make it another!

This year I worry about the bombs, if I really should risk it there! What you people think, did you hear something yet?

I also have been to Phuket some years ago and didn't know it's only 1 day, didn't give everything first day, what a dissapointment next day...

Pattaya as well chasing the Gatoys in their wet 'see all' dresses, was fun! But the way out on big motorcycle no fun, it run only on 1 cylinder anymore..

But KS is the best for me! Justy don't get sick!

cheers

I'm off to Malaysia for three weeks, KL, Cameron Highlands, Penang, Langkawi ... any suggestions for other locations?

and so am I..... can't wait for it :o

From Bangkok (BKK) to Kuala Lumpur LCCT (KUL) J FARE dot.gif Saturday, 07/04/2007 Flight AK 881 Depart Bangkok (BKK) at 10:00 and arrive in Kuala Lumpur LCCT (KUL) at 13:05

h-pricing.gifdot.gifTotal for 1 GuestFare price479.00 THB Taxes1,543.00 THB Total fare2,022.00 THB dot.gifdot.gifdot.gifdot.gif

It's OK for a day but then it gets tired. I generally go to the Ancient City in Samut Prakan where they do it the old fashioned way (except for those who have come tooled up in their own cars!). You can see the Thai people paying respect to the big Buddhas in the park, youths playing Takraew and in the floating village mock up, there are some on logs on stilts playing a game that involves knocking the other into the water. On the last two years, we have also seen women in a boat paddling a golden buddha image around while others throw lotus flowers.

Songkran

Hi, I quite enjoy Songkran at Khao San since many years, but after 2 days of 12 hours I usually can't make it another!

This year I worry about the bombs, if I really should risk it there! What you people think, did you hear something yet?

Don't worry, it's safe. Bin Ladin has announced a truce during the Song Kran holiday.

He doesn't like getting his turban wet! :o