Alternatives To Los?

jaideeguy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, are there any superstores in Cambodia/Vietnam yet?? and can you get decent whole wheat bread and wine at a reasonable price??

You can't beat the bread and wine in Laos, somehow the Lao are a bit lighter on the sugar than the Thai's, would not recommend for retirement!

The only alternative to Thailand in my opinion is Brazil - ferget the rest of Asia. Either it's bad food (the PI) or it's too expensive and sterile (Singapore) or the people & culture are just plain boring (Malaysia)... :o

You mean lovely Brazil? where the national pastime seems to be kidnapping and extortion? I agree its a nice place to visit. wouldn't wanna live there. You can't go outside at night without a gun!!

Greg

I also love Brazil, but be aware the financial requirements for a retirement visa are pretty stiff. Not everyone has a pension of over 2K USD per month and that is the minimum and it must all be transferred in. In fact, for Americans, a social security pension of over 2K a month would be quite rare I think. Also, there is no bank account alternative. Marriage is an option though. This site is all about talking about lower cost world retirement country options that are possible to retire to: http://www.retireaway.com/

http://www.how2immigrate.net/brazil/permanent-visa.html

Retiree

A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$ 2,000. There is no limit to the number of dependents who may also receive permanent residence visas, but the main applicant must provide proof that they are genuine dependent relatives, as defined in Brazilian law - see Res. 4 of the CNI (National Immigration Council).

The main applicant must prove he has a pension of at least US$ 2,000 a month. This will entitle him to visas for himself and two dependents. The applicant must demonstrate an additional US$ 1,000/month for each additional dependent, over and above the two already mentioned, and must supply, amongst other things:

* A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum of the benefit;

* A bank declaration authorizing monthly transfer of at least US$ 2,000.

Edited by Thaiquila

... the people & culture are just plain boring (Malaysia)... :whistling:

Malaysia may be boring if you live in the malay parts, but Georgetown on Penang is majority Chinese. The town is great for walking, eating, vistas, has mucho internet, a big range of types of accommodation.

It also an Indian community with Indian restaurants and shops, and malay culture. They have 24-hour stores and late night restaurants that are smokin.

Many of the Chinese there are Christian.

From there, you can take the train south to KL, Singapore, or north to Thailand.

Malaysia offers a retirement visa if you have a monthly income of at least 1,900 USD. You are just under the limit, but I am sure there is a way to get around that with a local lawyer. (There is a way to get around anything if you pay a lawyer enough, anywhere in the world.)

The shopping, and bookstores are not as good as Thailand, but other things you might want can be had if you are subtle and ask around. They are more hidden.

One drawback to Georgetown is that the lack of hygeine and the moral corruption are in your face.

Regarding the OP, a lot of us are in a similar situation. Some of us might find a way to work together.

sarpesius

Having lived 14 yrs in Asia, the first 7 in the Philippines and the last 7 in Thailand, i now find myself wondering if there is a better alternative to Thailand, preferably a neighboring country, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malasia??

this is not the same Thailand that i once knew and altho there have been some infrastructure improvements [or attempts], the powers have removed or are removing the FUN things that brought me here from the Philippines, where there is lotsa fun, but too much chaos, corruption and polution.

Needs.....

1] Easy immigration requirements for retirees

2] less corruption

3] decent infrastructure

4] less polution

5] friendly [some english speaking] locals

6] fast internet

7] friendly, beautiful, available women

8] good [affordable] medical facilities

9] rights to purchase real estate, business

or, do i just have 'the 7 yr itch' and just wanna change??

Thailand will be a hard act to follow, but i'm just wondering if the best days here are over. I could never return to the west, both for financial reasons and [real/perceived?] freedom.

Are there others out there in 'thaivisaland' thinking the same or is there an alternative to LOS???

The closest place to get all your "needs" is here......post-31110-1173595361_thumb.jpg Asia is not an option for any of those needs..

AGREED although not sure about the Immigration situation being easy if you are not from Oz and if you did not own your own home you would be on the poverty line at 60000 Baht per month.

Rent on a flat is around $AUD200 per week ie 5400 Baht

I have lived in Malaysia (KL and Sarawak), Vietnam (Hanoi and Saigon), Myanmar, and Laos.

I now live in Thailand by choice and have no plans on moving on, even if Thailand continues to have the worst beer in the region!

Believe me, if you have problems here you will only find them bigger elsewhere.

Methinks his problem of being a 60 year old w##k#r in need of cheap younger women have little to do with location. :o

It was a sensible thread. Why the need to come in and start trashing someone? :D

CDNVIC, u r a gentleman. your comment is actually much too friendly. members who insult others here, should not be welcome in TV

I also love Brazil, but be aware the financial requirements for a retirement visa are pretty stiff. Not everyone has a pension of over 2K USD per month and that is the minimum and it must all be transferred in. In fact, for Americans, a social security pension of over 2K a month would be quite rare I think. Also, there is no bank account alternative. Marriage is an option though. This site is all about talking about lower cost world retirement country options that are possible to retire to: http://www.retireaway.com/

Retiree

A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$ 2,000. There is no limit to the number of dependents who may also receive permanent residence visas, but the main applicant must provide proof that they are genuine dependent relatives, as defined in Brazilian law - see Res. 4 of the CNI (National Immigration Council).

The main applicant must prove he has a pension of at least US$ 2,000 a month. This will entitle him to visas for himself and two dependents. The applicant must demonstrate an additional US$ 1,000/month for each additional dependent, over and above the two already mentioned, and must supply, amongst other things:

* A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum of the benefit;

Marriages of convienence can be done with no hassle in Brazil so, like you say, that is one option. And, it is a big country with different administrative offices with which to avail yourself to obtain the residence visa. Paraguay is also an option with real relaxed immigration procedures and the girls in Asuncion are beautiful! :o

I have lived in Malaysia (KL and Sarawak), Vietnam (Hanoi and Saigon), Myanmar, and Laos.

I now live in Thailand by choice and have no plans on moving on, even if Thailand continues to have the worst beer in the region!

Methinks his problem of being a 60 year old w##k#r in need of cheap younger women have little to do with location. :o

It was a sensible thread. Why the need to come in and start trashing someone? :D

CDNVIC, u r a gentleman. your comment is actually much too friendly. members who insult others here, should not be welcome in TV

Too true... had the comment been spotted earlier by a moderator, the offending member would have been given a holiday.

PUBLIC WARNING: Flaming other members on the forum will not be tolerated.

Having lived 14 yrs in Asia, the first 7 in the Philippines and the last 7 in Thailand, i now find myself wondering if there is a better alternative to Thailand, preferably a neighboring country, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malasia??

this is not the same Thailand that i once knew and altho there have been some infrastructure improvements [or attempts], the powers have removed or are removing the FUN things that brought me here from the Philippines, where there is lotsa fun, but too much chaos, corruption and polution.

Needs.....

1] Easy immigration requirements for retirees

2] less corruption

3] decent infrastructure

4] less polution

5] friendly [some english speaking] locals

6] fast internet

7] friendly, beautiful, available women

8] good [affordable] medical facilities

9] rights to purchase real estate, business

or, do i just have 'the 7 yr itch' and just wanna change??

Thailand will be a hard act to follow, but i'm just wondering if the best days here are over. I could never return to the west, both for financial reasons and [real/perceived?] freedom.

Are there others out there in 'thaivisaland' thinking the same or is there an alternative to LOS???

The closest place to get all your "needs" is here......post-31110-1173595361_thumb.jpg Asia is not an option for any of those needs..

There's only 1 problem with that, the guys got 60,000 baht a Month that's only about $2,000. For that you can get a good 2 berdroom condo in Sydney to rent p/m, he will have nothing left for anything else. Australia is very expensive, here are some current prices:

Glass of beer in a pub: 110 baht

A Thai meal: 400 to 600 baht

Petrol: 35 baht a litre

A pizza in a RSL club: 500 baht

Small bottle of water: 60 baht

Registration of car: 18,000 baht (not including insurance)

Car Parking at a Sydney Beach for a day: 400 baht

I won't go on but OZ is blooooooody dear.

Retiree

Marriages of convienence can be done with no hassle in Brazil so, like you say, that is one option. And, it is a big country with different administrative offices with which to avail yourself to obtain the residence visa. Paraguay is also an option with real relaxed immigration procedures and the girls in Asuncion are beautiful! :o

I would have never thought of Paraguay! I suppose the pretty ladies are all available based on this funny website: http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Paraguay

They do however have a strong ban from immigration and only the gayest are allowed out.

You gotta love a nation who's national animal is Chubby the Goat and national anthem is In a Gadda da Vida..

Edited by Thaiquila

I just had dinner with a guy who is living in Phnom Phen in Cambodia. He likes it there a lot. It's very cheap to live.

Drawbacks:

Medical care is pretty primitive (he' goes to Thailand for anything serious)

They are still years behind. They don't even have a city phonebook

Everything is private...even the schools. No government services.

You gotta love a nation who's national animal is Chubby the Goat and national anthem is In a Gadda da Vida..

If you like adventure, Paraguay is the spot!

90% of their economy is based on smuggling - I've never seen so many late model Range Rovers, Mercs, Land Cruisers driving around in one place before.

What about Indonesia??

The ladies there are even prettier than Thai women IMO.

I read recently that they only allow farang to stay for 30 days and then you have to start Island hopping to other countries and back again!

Any rogues / adventurers spent time there?

Edited by JimsKnight

I researched a lot before I decided on Thailand. Laos, China and Vietnam are communist and Burma is even worse. The PI's with the typhoons, volcanoes and earthquakes puts me off too. I simply wouldn't feel comfortable living in Malaysia with the muslims. Phnom Penh is filthy and I NEVER felt safe. Snooky would be a livable place but if one should ever be in dire need of medical care, I think you would be dead before you found it. Options are VERY limited outside of Thailand. If worse came to worse here in the Kingdom, I'm afraid I'd go back to the USA and I'm certainly NOT planning to do that.

I researched a lot before I decided on Thailand. Laos, China and Vietnam are communist and Burma is even worse. The PI's with the typhoons, volcanoes and earthquakes puts me off too. I simply wouldn't feel comfortable living in Malaysia with the muslims. Phnom Penh is filthy and I NEVER felt safe. Snooky would be a livable place but if one should ever be in dire need of medical care, I think you would be dead before you found it. Options are VERY limited outside of Thailand. If worse came to worse here in the Kingdom, I'm afraid I'd go back to the USA and I'm certainly NOT planning to do that.

Have to agree with this post.

Also, in many countries the national past-time is kidnapping for ransom. Luckily that has not caught on here.

Yep, lets face it, for all its quirks ole Muang Thai is the dogs doodars and I reckon we're all pretty fortunate to be allowed to hang on :o

Imagine Mr Sonthi saying, 'right that's yer lot, pack yer bags and don't come back...' :D

I'd like to live in Singapore.

One Singha can there costs 3.35 S$. A Geylang chick asks 120 S$.

I guess Thailand is way cheaper, even taking into account the VISA trips costs.

And you need to bring into the country S$1,000,000 as collateral to get Permanent Residency!

[quote name='sarpesius' date='2007-03-12 13:55:59' post=Malaysia may be boring if you live in the malay parts, but Georgetown on Penang is majority Chinese. The town is great for walking, eating, vistas, has mucho internet, a big range of types of accommodation.

It also an Indian community with Indian restaurants and shops, and malay culture. They have 24-hour stores and late night restaurants that are smokin.

Many of the Chinese there are Christian.

If I was looking for a quiet place to live in Malaysia, I try Ipoh. Mostly Chinese, very laid back, not a whole lot to do but, its quiet. The Buddhist caves around town are interesting.

South Americas an option for me, but even though I have a small home in Colombia, its not too safe for gringos, hel_l anyone, to live there.

I might try Chile , Peru or Ecuador lot cheaper to abide there.

But we'll probably end up in Thailand, and spend sometime elsewhere for a diverse existence.

And you need to bring into the country S$1,000,000 as collateral to get Permanent Residency!

Well noone said Singapore wants the poor downtrodden expat. They are a developed country and they attract high flyers.

Excellent post Gary, and it sums up my position perfectly. It's easy to slam Thailand, but when you compare it to the alternatives in Asia it's like comparing Chelsea with Stockport County. Any communist country is immediately out for me and I wouldn't give Myanmar the time of day. I've been to Cambodia a couple of times and enjoyed the short bursts, but it always feels great to get back to civilisation. I like the creature comforts of Thailand too much, knowing that the facilities - shops, food, decent coffee, internet are all there at the tip of my fingers. The only half-decent supermarket in Phnom Penh is the one right in the middle of town - it's full of rubbish and a fifth the size of even a provincial Big C or Foodland.

Philippines? OK, but it's a totally different lifestyle there. If you wanted the beach bum lifestyle, I'm sure it would be fun but again I tire of it after a week or so and look forward to coming home.

Dollar for dollar, Thailand wins hands down.

1 mm SGD is not enough anymore. they raised the stake to 2.5 mm if you buy overvalued property on some island or 5 mm assets.

I enjoy working in Singapore, but would not want to live there full time. Its a bit soulless and manufactured for me, but a good place to make money. Thailand is the place to spend it though. :o

PI is rather mad with the driving and traffic especially around Manila, and the gun culture of the place is oppressive too. Forget any Islamic country, as most of them seem to be returning to fundamentalism.

Thailand is a great place to live if you have the cash.

1 mm SGD is not enough anymore. they raised the stake to 2.5 mm if you buy overvalued property on some island or 5 mm assets.

It may be possible to work the system in the Chinese way: they use shifting bank accounts in which the requisite funds are deposited in one family members account long enough for him to prove he has enough assets to do what he needs to do (residency, retirement visa, etc. )

Then the money is shifted out to another family member to repeat the process.

sarpesius

Edited by sarpesius

It may be possible to work the system in the Chinese way: they use shifting bank accounts in which the requisite funds are deposited in one family members account long enough for him to prove he has enough assets to do what he needs to do (residency, retirement visa, etc. )

sarpesius

JR Texas: Here is my take on this after spending many years in Asia.

Bali: beautiful beaches and mountains...fascinating culture but you get bored with it after one or two weeks (same old stuff)....not cheap (can, however, find hotels for US$10 per night)...girls (hidden from view and not cheap...nothing like Thailand)....Islamic fundamentalism is creeping in causing social problems and violence (same as in Thailand)...visa issues pain in the ass (same as in Thailand)...not for me but still like to visit there

India: wonderful food and interesting culture.......red tape nightmare for visas and virtually anything.......stunningly beautiful women (but not same easy situation as in Thailand)....culture can be difficult to adjust to and too many people and too much pollution....not for me

China: ome places beautiful, weather can be great, beautiful women and many are very friendly....some cities (not all of course) are clean and efficient, great food, very easy work permit rules (incredibly simple compared to Thailand), not sure about owning property, nice and friendly people....but missed the festivals and culture that one finds in Thailand........I prefer Thailand to China, but it is a genuine alternative given the economic growth....NO, you do not feel like you are being controlled (but the mainstream mass media is total propoganda...same as Thailand and USA)

Cambodia: poor infrastructure but getting better...good food in several places (probably because of the French influence), easy visa/business rules and regulations (much better than Thailand), stunning beaches but you have to search for them and water seems much cleaner there than in Thailand, lots of girls (no problem),.....real possibility in my view....it is Pattaya 20-30 years ago and growing fast.......the other place in the north where Angkor Wat is located is not too bad

Vietnam: can only relate what others have told me.........growing economy, rapidly changing, many beautiful girls, visa/business (still problem but getting better than Thailand....that is why huge sums of money are now flowing into Vietnam instead of Thailand)....long beaches and mountains.....may be an alternative

Laos: forget it..........they do whatever Vietnam wants and are trying hard to not follow the normal development course......only the rich are benefiting (same all over I guess, especially in USA)

Philippines: many of my expat friends in Thailand have already moved there or are thinking about it...lost of girls, beaches, great food, some places not too expensive, and extremely easy visa rules and regulations

Summary: I think the Philippines is a real alternative, followed by Cambodia, China and Vietnam.

As an aside, I also lived in southern Chile.........unbelievably beautiful coastline (need some coastal property overlooking the Pacific Ocean?) Ocean on one side and huge mountains on the other........but the culture made me uncomfortable.

sarpesius

not possible nowadays. assets (not necessarily cash only) mustn't be touched for FIVE years. this information is dated december 2006.

that said, it doesn't sound far off the mark.

that said, it doesn't sound far off the mark.

I concur, it seems like a post asking in a roundabout fashion where a sexpat to be can park themselves.