Fingerprinted at Suvarnabhumi

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, the guest said:

Currently a retinal scan is much more reliable than finger prints.

Not quite correct…. UK Boarder Agency (Immigration) introduced retinal scanning at several UK airports in 2005 in order to speed up the immigration control process for known users.

UK passport holders could voluntarily enrol in the scheme and have their retina’s scanned and their passport details recorded into a specific Immigration database.  Those who enrolled could subsequently use the electronic gate on arrival which would scan their retina and if it matched the held in the Immigration database the gate would open and would allow the person to pass without the need to show their passport.  

The main problem was the need for the person to align their eyes exactly with the iris recognition camera.  This in many cases was very time consuming and resulted in queues forming to use the facility.  I can verify this myself.  As a regular traveller I was enrolled in the scheme and it was a pain in the backside to get your eyes aligned exactly with the camera.

The second and perhaps more serious problem was that the system gave 40% plus negative results which required an IO intervention.  This again led to queues forming.  Again I experienced this problem on several occasions.

It was also discovered that the system had allowed individual’s who were not enrolled on the iris scan database to enter.

The system was scrapped in 2012 in favour of e-Passport gate control system which uses the biographical data held on the chip embedded within the passport.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, Denim said:

Wife got thumb printed going through Heathrow. I asked the immigration office if she would like a footprint too ? She was not amused.

so it would seem to be a immigration officer, no matter where, you have to be a ass holx

So what? I get fingerprinted at KL since ages already too. 
Also it does not change much at all, it only helps with stolen passports.

Produced fake ones include biometric data (by choice) as well, those scanners cost 5 dollar in China.

Edited by tabarin

14 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Finger printed leaving as well recently, sponsored by America no doubt 

Not true! I was not fingerprinted yesterday when I exited through Thai Immigration at BKK Airport. However, the pleasant and smiling female officer I dealt with at the uncrowded priority lane in Departure Hall 3 (which I used becase of my mobility issues) did confirm that I would be fingerprinted upon my return to Thailand in a month's time.

Contrast this with the "welcome" I received from French Immigration at CDG Airport Terminal 1 this morning after an overnight flight. Chaotic, lengthy queues, with half of the windows closed. And no sign of any priority lane for those of limited moblity, etc like there are at BKK!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, madmen said:

When I was there last year they all had that IO serious look that all countries have

To expect them all to sit there fat dumb and happy is kinda ridiculous. 

I fly into Manchester every year with my Thai wife.  I accompany her through Immigration.  On every occasion we've been greeted cheerily and occasionally had 'have a nice holiday,' wished us.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is great.

Are you moving there soon?

I had a lovely holiday and if I had my time over again I would.  At 76 with 15 years of learning Thai and a son in Bangkok, it's a bit late to start learning Vietnamese.