Will Vietnam Overtake Thailand as Asian Playground for Russians?

webfact

6 hours ago, madmen said:

No chance they love walking st way to much. Nothing like that in Vietnam

I think they can put one up in a few weeks. Viet vets can probably tell how long it took for the industry to get bootstrapped last time around. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think they can put one up in a few weeks. Viet vets can probably tell how long it took for the industry to get bootstrapped last time around. 

As usual anti American and incorrect.  The Hall of Mirrors brothel was the largest in the world and open before the Americans got there.  General William Westmoreland, in 1966 announced operation MOOSE. Move Out of Saigon Expeditiously.

The girls from the Workers Union marched in the streets but to no avail.  The Saigon of sin days were gone never to return.  

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

But doesn't the ex-pat process start with a holiday.  Then after having a nice time the tourist begins to think, 'this would be a good spot to retire to.'  Then he does some research.

Conclusion being Vietnam ,

is now a  far more favourable retirement option, for expats, not just a Russian playground.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

As usual anti American and not correct.  The Hall of Mirrors brothel was the largest in the world and open before the Americans got there.  General William Westmoreland, in 1966 announced operation MOOSE. Move Out of Saigon Expeditiously.

The girls from the Workers Union marched in the streets but to no avail.  The Saigon of sin days were gone never to return.  

Ah ok French then. So how long did it take to boot up the Hall of Mirrors? I like the name BTW. 

Seems it was less than 10 years and sported around 1200 staff: http://indochine54.free.fr/cefeo/auxilia.html . That should draw in the russkies.

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Sound like a fair assumption. The right thing would have been:

That, because more then russians will make that choice.

This is the point, because more than Russians will be making that choice ; The general independent tourist, the groups, the backpackers.

Just a matter of time, running out for Thailand

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+nha+trang&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=5gE2NV2vCVGFyM%3A%2CX5Wje1gk181yBM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSCxjJTSZAvMZs8xXG_icwfTp7Ogg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP06G1mc_iAhWl73MBHYg-CSIQ9QEwAX

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ah ok French then. So how long did it take to boot up the Hall of Mirrors? I like the name BTW. 

Seems it was less than 10 years and sported around 1200 staff: http://indochine54.free.fr/cefeo/auxilia.html . That should draw in the russkies.

I seem to remember the whole thing being run by Michigan State University back then.  I guess you could ask them.  

AMSU.jpg

The enforcement of thai immigration law, the snooping of police forces, the increase of prices, are some of the reasons let expats and tourists choose other countries than Thailand. And Vietnam is quite good.

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

But you also failed to mention the very big genetic advantage that they have over Thailand - No Thai males ????

Both Thailand and Vietnam declared war on the United States in roughly the same 20 year time period.  Thailand lost 2000 people and Vietnam lost 1,500,000.  Maybe you want to rethink that.  

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Both Thailand and Vietnam declared war on the United States in roughly the same 20 year time period.  Thailand lost 2000 people and Vietnam lost 1,500,000.  Maybe you want to rethink that.  

Thanks for the history lesson but what does that have to do with not having to put up with these low life Thai males in Vietnam?? 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Rethink what ? Facts are facts and zero to do with anything about war.  Or in your mind has the declaration of war influenced the genetic make up of the species ? if so you are disputing some of Darwin's theories which I am sure many of us on the forum would be interested to hear about . ????????????

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Totally agree and in the time frame you specify it is entirely possible. 

I stated similar on another thread and was shouted down with a couple of the usual 'defenders of the realm' posting up current GDP figures while totally ignoring the important stats of economic growth. In this regard Vietnam is far ahead.

Vietnam is stable and more and more manufacturing and tourism is heading their way.

Yup, this month, Vietnam was named among the world's top 15 countries expected to improve GDP growth in 2019 (ranked 9th at 6.6%). Cambodia was ranked 6th (at 6.7%) in forecasts for improved growth this year, along with Myanmar and Laos (both 6.7% GDP growth). Thailand is not on the list. 

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Thanks for the history lesson but what does that have to do with not having to put up with these low life Thai males in Vietnam?? 

Say what you want but Vietnam does not have a very bright government.  Never did. 

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Yup, this month, Vietnam was named among the world's top 15 countries expected to improve GDP growth in 2019 (ranked 9th at 6.6%). Cambodia was ranked 6th (at 6.7%) in forecasts for improved growth this year, along with Myanmar and Laos (both 6.7% GDP growth). Thailand is not on the list. 

Thailand's GDP is about the same as Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia added together if I remember correctly so the other three do have lots of room to improve.  To be fair you should probably compare Thailand with countries of equivalent infrastructure and GDP.

3 hours ago, zhounan said:

The enforcement of thai immigration law, the snooping of police forces, the increase of prices, are some of the reasons let expats and tourists choose other countries than Thailand. And Vietnam is quite good.

Have you ever lived in Vietnam?  Methinks not. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

From May 2018 to April 2019, Russian arrivals to the Asia-Pacific rose 54.5 percent, far outstripping total international arrivals growth to the region of 3.8 percent, according to ForwardKeys.

This makes Europe the top growing source for Asia-Pacific,

Since when is Russia called Europe?

12 hours ago, 30la said:

With the increasingly strict restrictions that are imposed in Thailand, it is certain that many tourists and expatriates will change the destination!

Nothing has changed for the average tourist. 

48 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

After 7 years in CM I'm off to Vietnam in 2 months.  Obtained a 1 year visa / M.E. / filled out a one 

page application and scanned the info page of my passport / all online and no personal 

appearance.  No 90 day checks.  So far it doesn't seem that bad but certainly going in with

my eyes wide open.

Could you please elaborate on what the pitfalls of living in Vietnam?  I'd love to hear

about it.  

Absence of medical care.  Absence of a stable currency.  Communist government.  Red mud.

I hope so! Again, no surprise.

Look at the mess this place is always in, unstable governments etc... and how tourism and confidence are falling.

Thailand has had it far too good for far too long and is still a third world country developing that skims from tourists pockets to stay afloat. 100 THB fee on arrival to cover medical expenses! Come on!

Just goes to show how arrogant they are by cheating foreigners for so long plus the lawlessness etc etc etc....

All bubbles deflate or burst. What goes around comes around.

Som nom na...

Well Vietnam has more and more things to offer, are more based on work and progress compare to the "sanuk" mentality of thais. So sure they will make much more progress and get more and more interesting for investors, tourists a d expats to live!

15 minutes ago, manhood said:

Well Vietnam has more and more things to offer, are more based on work and progress compare to the "sanuk" mentality of thais. So sure they will make much more progress and get more and more interesting for investors, tourists a d expats to live!

Thailand and Vietnam were in the same place after WWII.  Thailand is 3 times richer.  https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand

Vietnam was on the winning side during WWII and managed to lose over 2 million people in the years following while Thailand built infrastructure and made money. 

I see no reason to think the disparity 1 - 3 GDP per capita will change.  Thailand has not changed it was always the same as it is now or worse. 

50 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

I hope so! Again, no surprise.

Look at the mess this place is always in, unstable governments etc... and how tourism and confidence are falling.

Thailand has had it far too good for far too long and is still a third world country developing that skims from tourists pockets to stay afloat. 100 THB fee on arrival to cover medical expenses! Come on!

Just goes to show how arrogant they are by cheating foreigners for so long plus the lawlessness etc etc etc....

All bubbles deflate or burst. What goes around comes around.

Som nom na...

What bubble?  Thailand has one of the highest foreign reserves in the world and a stable currency.  I put money in Thai banks 20 years ago and I take the interest out every year to live with SS and still have what I deposited.   I've lived in Vietnam and Thailand.  I think anyone who had the means to choose would choose Thailand.  If you don't Vietnam would be a 10 or 15th choice down the list of places to retire. 

18 hours ago, madmen said:

No chance they love walking st way to much. Nothing like that in Vietnam

Plenty of things to see, to do, to eat etc., in many parts / places in Vietnam. Many beautiful bays and mountain areas to see. And plenty of internal travel options and several international airports all very modern and efficient.

Plus many Russians are already familiar with Vietnam and/or have worked in Vietnam during the era when Russian oil companies dominated that industry in Vietnam and still have a sizeable presence and influence.

In some areas hotels are already well set up to attract Russian managers and workers and Russian tourists. 

Archived