Will Vietnam Overtake Thailand as Asian Playground for Russians?

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

they were bright enough to force the american armed forces out!

And lost a million people and wrecked the economy of the country.  Thailand asked the Americans in and built the infrastructure of the country made them the Tiger Of Asia (see GDP vs Vietnam) and then asked them to leave politely and they did.  Now tell me who is bright?  I was in both countries during the war.  We made Thailand great and destroyed Vietnam.  The only difference was enlightened self interest.  Look at the history of South East Asia during that time period.  Singapore and Thailand used to be poor 3rd world countries too and I witnessed the change both positive and negative.  You can compare Thailand to Singapore but not Vietnam.  

As the saying goes, “Been there, done that.” I think Thailand is still a top tourist destination for Westerners to who visit SE Asia the first time; however, I wonder how many have the desire to return or choose another destination such as “exotic” Vietnam which has a lot of historical sites along with pristine beaches. Plus, everything I saw such as hotels, beach promenades, and organization (been there four times) was well planned out, unlike Thailand. Unfortunately I think mass tourism in Thailand has worn out its infrastructure and scenic beaches, no enforcement of building codes in the “hotel ghettos” have created an ugly duckling.  Thailand is not like it was thirty years ago when I first visited the country- even the “Thai Smile” is no longer authentic with the younger generation that lacks English and customer service skills  for their work in tourism. ( Vietnam seems to have this figured out.) 

35 minutes ago, toenail said:

As the saying goes, “Been there, done that.” I think Thailand is still a top tourist destination for Westerners to who visit SE Asia the first time; however, I wonder how many have the desire to return or choose another destination such as “exotic” Vietnam which has a lot of historical sites along with pristine beaches.

And then after having visited Vietnam, been there and done it, how many would have the desire to return rather than choose whatever. Open-ended argument.

Plus, everything I saw such as hotels, beach promenades, and organization (been there four times) was well planned out, unlike Thailand.

Many tourists actually like a destination where everything's not well planned out. Adds to the local feel. Me, I like the chaos of Thailand, part of its charm.

even the “Thai Smile” is no longer authentic with the younger generation that lacks English and customer service skills  for their work in tourism. ( Vietnam seems to have this figured out.) 

Not sure when it was actually "authentic," though it perhaps seemed so in the rose-tinted rear-view mirror. Not a worry in Vietnam, certainly. ???? Thais have never been known for customer service skills except at the high end. However, contrary to the myth of perpetual decline perpetually chanted here, those skills are improving. But again, Thais being Thais is part of the charm, if you dig it. Countless sanitized resorts have always existed around the world, true, not just in VN.

• 2 months later...

Archived