Is Your Nationality Important To You Now That You Live In Los?

garro

Is your nationality imoportant to you now that you live in LOS?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm English - I'm not proud of it because, as others have said, it's slightly bizarre to take pride in a random event. I am pleased that I was brought up in England and have had the benefit of absorbing all those characteristics which make the English what they are.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm English - I'm not proud of it because, as others have said, it's slightly bizarre to take pride in a random event. I am pleased that I was brought up in England and have had the benefit of absorbing all those characteristics which make the English what they are.

There's a huge difference between being ashamed (Kratindeang) of being English to that of not being proud of being English.

He could be ashamed of the England cricket teams performances without being ashamed of his nationality.

You're right. But he could be ashamed of his nationality because of his country's cricket team........only he can answer that question.

I can only imagine he suffers from very low self-esteem or possibly even self-hatred.

I was just wondering, 28% have said that their nationality is very important to them but if that is the case why don't they want to live in their nation. I would have thought that the minimal requirement for being nationalistic would be wanting to live in that paticular nation?

I was just wondering, 28% have said that their nationality is very important to them but if that is the case why don't they want to live in their nation. I would have thought that the minimal requirement for being nationalistic would be wanting to live in that paticular nation?

Nationality isn't where you are, it's who you are.

As the Duke of Wellington famously said; 'just because I was born in a stable doesn't make me a horse'.

YES and to take it a step further....................... i am a Proud Yorkshireman

Never forget your routes and your parents if you were lucky enough to have good ones, that is, as most of us had. :o

marshbags :D

Not forgetting my roots is different from being nationalistic. I am not ashamed of where I come from. Where I was born is an actual place but a nation exists only in peoples minds. Nationality means seperatism.

I guess you missed the part of the thread disscusing the difference between being nationalistic and patriotic.

By the way, not everyone who lives in Thailand chose to come here because they like the place, some have been brought here by other factors.

Nationality means seperatism.

Or it can mean togetherness, as in millions of people sharing a community.

Always makes me laugh how so many people say that country doesn't mean anything. Then they need a doctor, or a student loan, or.....

Edited by cdnvic

As the Duke of Wellington famously said; 'just because I was born in a stable doesn't make me a horse'.

I dont think its about where you were born but where you grew up.

As for that famous quote, I remember watching on Television the case of an abandoned baby girl who was left in the care of dogs, who fed her, etc. And she virtually became a dog adopting all its mannerisms, barking, crawling, etc.

Even now after years of therapy she can not act like a normal human

Edited by Grover

I guess you missed the part of the thread disscusing the difference between being nationalistic and patriotic.

By the way, not everyone who lives in Thailand chose to come here because they like the place, some have been brought here by other factors.

No I didn't miss it. I just don't see the difference myself.

I am sure that there are some people who come to Thailand but hate the place, you only need to read some of the posts on Thai Visa to see that. I am not sure that the 28% who voted all hate Thailand.

I am sure that there are some people who come to Thailand but hate the place, you only need to read some of the posts on Thai Visa to see that. I am not sure that the 28% who voted all hate Thailand.

Where in my post did i mention the word 'hate'?

What i said was 'not everyone who lives in Thailand chose to come here because they like the place, some have been brought here by other factors'.

He could have just as easily said 'just because i was born a horse does'nt mean i have to live in a stable'.

He was actually referring to the fact that just because he was born in Ireland didn't make him Irish.

Where in my post did i mention the word 'hate'?

What i said was 'not everyone who lives in Thailand chose to come here because they like the place, some have been brought here by other factors'.

Oh dear Acquiesce, where in my post did I say you mentioned the word 'hate'.

I said that I am sure that some people who come to thailand hate the place.

Not at all important.

Are you proud of your country, your race, your sex? All totally matters of luck...

National borders are an anachronism, and IMO someday patriotism and nationalism will be relegated to the same category as racism, sexism, and all the other isms used by groups to gain power over other groups...

I voted fairly important, simply because my nationality makes a difference to how easy or difficult it is to travel or live in any given country. Living in Thailand as a citizen of a so-called developed country, I don't have to line up in the rain or shine to apply for a visa to most places. That's fairly important to me. If my long awaited Thai citizenship ever comes thru - application accepted as qualifying 8 yrs ago - I'll need fewer visas and living in Thailand will become easier, in which case both my nationalities will be fairly important to me. I didn't read the notions patriotism or nationalism into the question as many have done.

don't people get very proud when the national anthem is played??

Some might, i don't. I just feel nauseous.

Maybe this feeling you have comes from you have to many knowledge and too many knowhow how things went,

and just make you feel like look at them,it is your way too look at it,maybe many different people seems not to care,what you can't blame them.It is also a lack of knowledge they have or ignorent,or proud to be part of a race that once had the world in their handpalm.Are you dealing on this?

but stil however you look at it to be too serious or to live in the past not make people come together isn't it?

If things like this make people who understand the past or history nauseous when played an enthem or something like that,we could bring this subject even further,like why have countries in the first place,why not open borders...etc.....Is mankind in total and individual not totally madness,it is just how people are.maybe one day we not need an anthem or proud feelings,we will be one world,would that not be great?

Spoken like a true east European or some one from Mexico Wouldn't it be lovely not to have borders. :o

Maybe this feeling you have comes from you have to many knowledge and too many knowhow how things went,

and just make you feel like look at them,it is your way too look at it,maybe many different people seems not to care,what you can't blame them.It is also a lack of knowledge they have or ignorent,or proud to be part of a race that once had the world in their handpalm.Are you dealing on this?

but stil however you look at it to be too serious or to live in the past not make people come together isn't it?

If things like this make people who understand the past or history nauseous when played an enthem or something like that,we could bring this subject even further,like why have countries in the first place,why not open borders...etc.....Is mankind in total and individual not totally madness,it is just how people are.maybe one day we not need an anthem or proud feelings,we will be one world,would that not be great?

Spoken like a true east European or some one from Mexico Wouldn't it be lovely not to have borders. :o

We were talking about 'in the big picture',like we are all human beings living on the same world.How the world looks like today comes from all our history all packed together.Like you make a joke on the subject,doesn't that show how far we have gone.......I mean why should it be like this,a big joke to welcome mexicans into the states,why can't,because for financial reasons and nationalistic kapitalism they keep everything out or even fight for it,how it is allready thousands of years,does mankind never learn??.That was al the point about nationalism and patriotic discussion,and that when looking at it in the big picture sounds really unbelievable to me.If you look at the past and the world as a whole, a bit in a philosophical way, you can see how mad things are from religions to cultures,from unfairness and kapitalism,from nationalism and patrionism etc etc,the list will be nonstop.So maybe some of the posters should try to think a little bit more then their brain alow them to think and understand,in that way you can learn something more and even change some values some thought were so important,but are they really??Peace people. :D

I dont think its about where you were born but where you grew up.

As for that famous quote, I remember watching on Television the case of an abandoned baby girl who was left in the care of dogs, who fed her, etc. And she virtually became a dog adopting all its mannerisms, barking, crawling, etc.

Even now after years of therapy she can not act like a normal human

Nothing unusual about that. I know many people, who dont know how to act like normal human beings. :o

We were talking about 'in the big picture',like we are all human beings living on the same world.How the world looks like today comes from all our history all packed together.Like you make a joke on the subject,doesn't that show how far we have gone.......I mean why should it be like this,a big joke to welcome mexicans into the states,why can't,because for financial reasons and nationalistic kapitalism they keep everything out or even fight for it,how it is allready thousands of years,does mankind never learn??.That was al the point about nationalism and patriotic discussion,and that when looking at it in the big picture sounds really unbelievable to me.If you look at the past and the world as a whole, a bit in a philosophical way, you can see how mad things are from religions to cultures,from unfairness and kapitalism,from nationalism and patrionism etc etc,the list will be nonstop.So maybe some of the posters should try to think a little bit more then their brain alow them to think and understand,in that way you can learn something more and even change some values some thought were so important,but are they really??Peace people. :D

Imagine. To live in a perfect world. Not this year !

Actually, as i have posted already here - i am west European, and from a country which is one of the largest destination of legal and illegal immigration. And yes, i plead for open borders.

I too agree with completely open borders, especially into western countries. Why shouldn't everyone have the opportunity to live where they can do best for themselves or their family?

Some countries could really use the increase in the gene pool.

Nations are completely in the mind and only function to divide.

I too agree with completely open borders, especially into western countries. Why shouldn't everyone have the opportunity to live where they can do best for themselves or their family?

Some countries could really use the increase in the gene pool.

Nations are completely in the mind and only function to divide.

so, you believe that Thailand should "open" it's borders to all and any foreigners willing to work for LESS wages than it's own citizens? you have a very misguided view of how a country can develop it's indigenous workforce. your system would set every country back to the lowest common denominator. bad move.