Anyone have experience of Dubai for visa applications?

I usually get my annual multi-entry O marriage visa from Savannakhet, but the idea of queuing for over two hours to hand in an application and then doing the same again the next day to collect my passport, combined with the lengthy queue to re-enter Thailand, has made me consider Dubai, where I am on business about the same time as my visa is next due for renewal.

Does anyone have experience of the Consulate/Embassy there? Are they welcolming? Do they require funds? Do they issue multi-entry visas?

I have never used the one in Dubai, but I did use the one in Muscat, Oman some years back. The staff in Middle East countries seem to be very helpful and do a good job. I think I applied for a 1 year marriage visa with multi entry. I could be wrong as it was some time ago. Anyway they will be friendly and helpful. 

24 minutes ago, pieeyed said:

I have never used the one in Dubai, but I did use the one in Muscat, Oman some years back. The staff in Middle East countries seem to be very helpful and do a good job. I think I applied for a 1 year marriage visa with multi entry. I could be wrong as it was some time ago. Anyway they will be friendly and helpful. 

Thanks. But I'll be in Dubai with no time to travel. And bearing in mind that two Thai visa issuers can't manage to operate in the same way even in the same country (Laos), I wouldn't expect Dubai to operate in the same way as Muscat.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you legal resident of the UAE?

If not you will not be able to apply for a visa at the consulate in Dubai. 

So yet another office setting their own rules? I can't apply to renew my annual O multi based on marriage unless I'm a UAE resident? I've never heard of an embassy or consulate only dealing with residents of that country before. I guess that would make the Savannakhet consulate a ghost town if they applied the same rule.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So yet another office setting their own rules? I can't apply to renew my annual O multi based on marriage unless I'm a UAE resident? I've never heard of an embassy or consulate only dealing with residents of that country before. I guess that would make the Savannakhet consulate a ghost town if they applied the same rule.

Many embassies and official consulates have the that requirement. More than one in Europe has that requirement along with Japan and China.

From this checklist for the application. http://www.thaiconsulatedubai.com/documents/non_o.pdf

image.png.4f52713723edffb0e62e8d662b6e7763.png

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, volsfan said:

Joe is right. I lived in Dubai for a few years. Had to have the UAE visa to apply. Bahrain has the same requirement. 

So yes, yet another case of individual offices making up their own requirements. Some will issue multi-entry, some not. Some require evidence of funds, some not. Some state you must be resident in the country in which you apply, some not. I wonder if any other country acts in such an arbitrary way with something that is so important.

Cue - if you don't like it go back where you came from........

I was a legal resident of the UAE for ten years. The consulate in Dubai was more user-friendly than the embassy in Abu Dhabi. Got many visas there over the years, including eventually my O-A when I was ready to retire, but they only dealt with citizens and legal residents. Pretty sure they wanted a letter from your employer for tourist visa and additionally for the O-A you needed the police report and medical certificate from local authorities. 

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This rule applies to many consulates. All continental Europe Thai missions require residency of the country you apply from.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A marriage visa does not require a medical certificate.

As always, it depends on where you apply, the side of the bed from which the IO arose on a given day, etc., etc.