Cant I extend my 30 days visa exempt entry anytime?

I arrived in Thailand yesterday and want to extend another month. Can I do this tomorrow or is there a time limit, like it needs to be within 1 or 2 weeks before the end of my allowed time here?

The reason I want to extend it early is because I need to apply for a new British passport and the company that handles it in Chiang Mai says 4 weeks, but they are terrible for customer service, so I don't want to take any chances as it will already be a few days late by the time they can fit me in for an application on Thursday. Therefore I want to extend my stay so I have 7 weeks or so and won't be worrying about them doing it in time, which I would do if I only apply with 3 and a bit weeks. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP just bumping your thread. I'm not expert so wait for better advice. My understanding is extend within last 15 days. Not before

No, there is no time limit but some immigration offices don't like it when you come in early for your extension.

2 minutes ago, merijn said:

No, there is no time limit but some immigration offices don't like it when you come in early for your extension.

I don't doubt what your saying. Just want make sure your info 100% correct. Thinking I have read many times...extension 2 weeks prior max. 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't doubt what your saying. Just want make sure your info 100% correct. Thinking I have read many times...extension 2 weeks prior max. 

I believe that Jomtien was doing that for a while but i'm not sure. 

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you suggesting the company in CM keep your passport?

What is the expiry date of your passport?

You cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.

Am I reading op incorrectly. He wants extend visa exempt or whatever by 30 days. Can do at imm for 1900 baht

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Am I reading op incorrectly. He wants extend visa exempt or whatever by 30 days. Can do at imm for 1900 baht

Yes he wants to extend his Visa exempt entry by 30 days to apply for a new passport.

You cannot extend your permission to stay beyond the expiry date of your passport though.

Why does he need to make the application so early after only just arriving unless the company in CM want to keep his passport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes he wants to extend his Visa exempt entry by 30 days to apply for a new passport.

You cannot extend your permission to stay beyond the expiry date of your passport though.

Why does he need to make the application so early after only just arriving unless the company in CM want to keep his passport. 

So embarrassed. I don't know how I missed second half op post. I was trying to bump and skipped details. Thanks for not kicking me too hard for slip up. 

Your advice to op on the money as per usual.

• Like 1

Just figured it out Jack.

The agent in CM will use another agent in BKK to submit his application at the VFS application centre and will need his passport. They'll then keep it until his new passport arrives and need his passport again to collect the new one.

So the OP will be without passport for a few weeks.

Personally, I'd make the application myself and collect myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mat999 said:

Can I do this tomorrow or is there a time limit, like it needs to be within 1 or 2 weeks before the end of my allowed time here?

There is no published rule on this. It will depend on the policy at the office you apply at.

You are usually safe to apply within the last 2 weeks, but you could try applying earlier.

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Personally, I'd make the application myself and collect myself.

That requires two round trips between Chiang Mai and Bangkok, along with getting to Trendy Tower at the right time. I can well understand why someone would prefer to use an agent. Doing it yourself does have the big advantage that you are not without your passport. You need to show it when making the application, and to have it cancelled when picking up the new passport, but you are never without it, and can use it for extending your stay.

• Like 1