Two year work permits

As far as I’m aware the two year WP is only issued at the one stop service for companies under BOI (Board of investment), and extensions of stay are still per one year. Please anyone correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A 2 year work permit if you have a contract for your employment that long or longer if requested.

Does this work for open-ended contracts (regular Thai company not BOI)?

i had a 2y WP apx 5 year ago. issued at one stop service in BKK (BOI) . i just looked in my old passport and it looks like i had 2 year extension of stay as well.. i dont recall i had to do any 1 year renewel or stamp as well.

also i had a incident in phuket airport when arriving, it took me about 1 hour to get cleared and had a lot of officials looking thru my passport. i never figured out what the issue was and after 1 hour i was wai/ed off. but at the time, i though it was because a 2y ext of stay was rare (especially in phuket) and as such they though it was a mistake.

i wish i could give more information, but someone from HR took care of everything for me and i did not look to much into rules etc etc since i had no reason to do so..

as for the migrant visas mentioned above, im not from a country nearby

Those working for BOI companies get two year work permits, noting that they're dated from the date of application vs issue. 

Same folks also get out to the same time (up to two years) an extension of stay on a Non-Imm B (BOI) visa as well based on the expiry date of their work permit.

52 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

As far as I’m aware the two year WP is only issued at the one stop service for companies under BOI (Board of investment), and extensions of stay are still per one year. Please anyone correct me if I’m wrong. 

Not correct. BOI work permit can be obtained at any Labor Office and the extensions of stay reflect the expiry date of the work permit.

Source - I have both and it's standard at the company I work for. 

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does this work for open-ended contracts (regular Thai company not BOI)?

Yes it should be done but it could depend upon the work permit office it is applied for at.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Yes it should be done but it could depend upon the work permit office it is applied for at.

It would be the main one in BKK, I will get our office lady to investigate when she does mine next month.

I get a two-year extension and WP under BOI. It cost something like 5,000 B I think. My contract is a one year contract, but I think the company submits a slightly different contract when applying at the one stop.

Edited by AlQaholic

I have a Limited Patlrtnership with my wife. I received a 2 year work permit for the first time this year. Before they wouldn't do this. I got it in the basis of being a co owner I guess. And, as Ubonjoe already mentioned, with a 2 year contract or more this should be possible too. So not only for BOI anymore...

Extensions of stay will remain 1 year. Never heard about a longer extension.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I am a teacher

I have a 2 year work permit

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

One Stop Service Chamchury Square, Non BOI company, 2 years WP.

Nowadays (renewal) no need to visit for me One Stop anymore Power Of Attorney

Working on a Non O Marriage extension

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

One Stop Service Chamchury Square, Non BOI company, 2 years WP.

Nowadays (renewal) no need to visit for me One Stop anymore Power Of Attorney

Working on a Non O Marriage extension

Interesting. How does a non BOI company use the one stop shop?

11 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

How does a non BOI company use the one stop shop?

He may of been working for a company that can use the one stop. It is not only for BOI companies. 

From Immigration website.

"Particular Services for extension of temporary stay, Notification of address every 90 days, Re-entry Permit, Visa Issuing and Changing type of Visa , could be provided only for foreigners carrying out duties relating to the specific law : Immigration Act , Petroleum Act / Board of Investment Act / Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He may of been working for a company that can use the one stop. It is not only for BOI companies. 

From Immigration website.

"Particular Services for extension of temporary stay, Notification of address every 90 days, Re-entry Permit, Visa Issuing and Changing type of Visa , could be provided only for foreigners carrying out duties relating to the specific law : Immigration Act , Petroleum Act / Board of Investment Act / Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act."

located at Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand, that's the exact reason

• 1 year later...

I own a company with my Thai wife and I'm on my third consecutive 2-year work permit which have been available for non-BOI companies since at least 2017. Cost is 6,000 baht, so no saving on the fees. Just one less visit to the Labor Office.