Permission to stay (admitted until) multiple-re-entry question

Is it necessary to be in Thailand on a Type-OA Visa’s “VALID-UNTIL” date if one, when in Thailand, applies for a multiple re-entry (TM-8) on the “permission to stay (admitted until)” a few weeks prior to the Type-OA Visa's VALID-UNTIL date?

Let me explain.

I have a multiple entry Type-OA Visa valid from 28-March-2019 to 27-March-2020. A likely non-relevant point is I entered Thailand on 10-May-2019 and my passport is stamped “ADMITTED UNTIL 8-May-2020) and I plan to stay in Thailand until mid-Feb-2020.

Then I plan to leave Thailand in mid-Feb-2020 for month (downhill ski trip) and return in early-March-2020 for a few days (change ski clothes to summer clothes) and then leave Thailand for 4 to 6 weeks returning to Thailand in April-2020. After that I plan to stay in Thailand possibly for the remainder of the year 2020.

Say after being away in Feb-2020 (on my ski trip) I return to Thailand 3-March-2020. My understanding is on 3-March-2020, my Passport will then likely be stamped “ADMITTED UNTIL” 1-March-2021 (approximate date).

QUESTION : Can I then on 4/5-March-2020 go to Thai immigration, and obtain a multiple re-entry on that “ADMITTED UNTIL “ 1-March-2021 (via a TM-8), and then leave Thailand (say on 7/8-March) and thus not be in Thailand on 27-March-2020, when my Type-OA is no longer valid.  But since I have (hopefully) a multiple re-entry based on the “ADMITTED UNTIL” 1-March-2021 I will then not need to apply for a new Visa when I return to Thailand in mid-April-2020?

ie. Will the TM-8 multiple-re-entry based on the last ADMITTED UNTIL 1-March-2021 still be applicable … or does the Type-OA Visa “valid until 27-March-2020” take precedence (forcing me to either be in Thailand on 27-March-2020 or forcing me to apply for a new Type-OA Visa if out of Thailand on 27-March-2020).

I’m concerned if I am not in Thailand on the 27-March-2020 date (when Type-OA Visa validity ends), that the TM-8 multiple re-entry (based on the ADMITTED UNTIL 1-March-2021 passport stamp) won’t help me.

I’m trying to figure this out now so I can make long range travel plans, co-coordinating with friends. If I need to be in Thailand on 27-March-2020, that will impact my travel co-ordination with others.

I hope I have the terminology correct.

Edited by oldcpu
fixed typos only

It is based on the Permission to stay stamp, That is what you are protecting.  Presuming you enter just before the OA Visa expires you will be given a year's permit to stay from the arrival date. If you wish to protect that date and leave/return to  Thailand beyond the Visas expiry (Enter  Before date) a Re-Entry Permit is required. 

I hope I grasped your story correctly.

Edited by jacko45k

The valid until date on your visa is only the last day you can use your visa for entry. It has nothing to do with how longs you can stay in the country.

If you do an entry on or before March 27th 2020 you will get a new one year permit to stay. Then you can get a re-entry permit to keep that permit to stay valid when you enter the country using it.

Thanks for the replies.   It appears my concern that I need to be in Thailand on 27-March-2020 (my multiple-entry Type-OA visa valid until date) is unfounded, as long as I enter Thailand on ~3-March-2020.

That ~3-March-2020 entry to Thailand will give me a "permission to stay" stamp in my passport until ~1-March-2021.  Then in the 4 to 6 March-2020 timeframe I can go to Thai immigration, and apply via a TM-8 for a 1-year multiple-re-entry (~3800 baht) based on that 1-March-2021 permission to stay.

I could then leave Thailand mid-March-2020, and return to Thailand mid-April-2020, based on the TM-8 re-entry permit associated with the ~1-March-2021 passport permission to stay.