Driver's License Renewal Question

Need your help guys. I have to renew my 5 year car and motorcycle licenses next month. I know what documents I need to bring but my question is since I and getting two licenses renewed at the same time do I need 2 sets of documents? And if I do need 2 sets of documents can I make a copy of the medical and resident letter or do I need originals. Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

I beg to differ. It is, indeed, required

I didn't have to do a medical for my renewal 3 years ago.

From the pinned subject in the motor forum:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/920562-thai-drivers-license-checklist/?tab=comments#comment-12296700

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Thanks 1

5 replies and not one answered my question. The office I go to requires a medical certificate for a 5 year renewal.

MY questions still is DO I NEED 2 SETS OF DOCUMENTS AND IF SO CAN THE MEDICAL AND RESIDENT LETTER BE COPIES OF THE ORIGINALS OR DO I NEED 2 SETS OF ORIGINALS?

If you can't answer that question than PLEASE do not post on this thread.

• Thanks 1

You were answered in my las post.

From the link:

One copy of each below as of 05th June 2019 for car/bike licence renewal for each licence

Residents cert 
Passport copy
Immigration stamp and visa copy 
Old licence - original
Copy of old licence (both sides)

Pattaya driving licence offices by Regents school.......

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

5 replies and not one answered my question. The office I go to requires a medical certificate for a 5 year renewal.

MY questions still is DO I NEED 2 SETS OF DOCUMENTS AND IF SO CAN THE MEDICAL AND RESIDENT LETTER BE COPIES OF THE ORIGINALS OR DO I NEED 2 SETS OF ORIGINALS?

Everyone was trying to answer your question, there is no need to get uppity when people try to help you (I won't bother in future). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

You were answered in my las post.

From the link:

One copy of each below as of 05th June 2019 for car/bike licence renewal for each licence

Residents cert 
Passport copy
Immigration stamp and visa copy 
Old licence - original
Copy of old licence (both sides)

Pattaya driving licence offices by Regents school.......

No it doesn't answer my question of CAN THE RESIDENT CERT BE A COPY OR DO I HAVE TO HAVE IMMIGRATION MAKE 2 and pay 500 baht for each one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I understand that you only need one original medical certification and one residency certificate, plus a photo copy of each.  When I presented two of each, they gave me back one. 

THANK YOU Pilotman. Here is a poster who answered my question.

• Thanks 1

I concur with Pilotman.

If its not inconvenient why not just pop in the day before and ask them? Then you will have a definitive answer as different offices have different ways of doing things

As an aside I tend to specify where I am in the title to stop the irrelevant comments from people with no connection to my local circumstances- saves a lot of 'well, my mate in xxxxxxxxxxx did xxxxxxx' comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Los Luver said:

I beg to differ. It is, indeed, required

Medical cert. NOT required for 5yr to 5yr which seems the case for the OP (?).

Required for 2yr to 5yr.

To the rules and own experience.

See this from today:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1089642-requirements-renewing-a-5-year-driving-licence-pattaya/?do=findComment&comment=14219158

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Last week I renewed both my 5 year Thai motorbike and car driving licenses at the Chock Chai driving license office out side of Korat 

What I needed / had to do ( this is only what I had to do at the Chock Chai driving license office and may vary at different driving license offices ) 

1. My original Passport

2. 2 photocopy’s  of my passport ( one separate photocopy required for each driving license renewal application )

3. Collect 2 separate forms one for each driving license renewal application , these forms are handed out by the counter staff .

4. Fill out the two driving license renewal application forms

5. Place the two completed forms with your original plastic driving licenses attached to each form , into an ‘’ in ‘’ tray on the counter , here the forms will be checked by the staff.

6. A member of staff shouts your name and hands you back the completed forms with the original plastic driving licenses  , and tells you to take the now approved forms upstairs to the test room.

7. At the door way next to the test room , on an unmanned desk was a large book here you write your name on the list in the book , laying next to this book on the desk is a metal tray containing every applicants completed driving license renewal application , here you drop into the tray your completed driving license renewal application with your original plastic driving licenses attached .

8. Sit and wait for the test staff to call the next batch of applicants into the test room.

9. Once you are in the test room your name will be called to do the following tests .

A. Eyesight colour test ( you look into a small viewing area and shout out what colour you see ) .

B. Break speed test ( here you put your foot on a dummy break pedal and hit the break when you see a red light in front of you ) 

10. After completing and passing the tests ( if you fail you will be given another chance ) you go into a large room and watch a road safety video ( English subtitles ) .

11. Once the video has finished you are told to go downstairs and wait for your name to be called by a member of the counter staff.

12. Your name is called and you pay the license renewal application fee

Car 5 years = 505 Baht
Motorcycle 5 year = 255 Baht.

13. After you have paid the money you are told to go over to the waiting area where the new driving licenses will be issued.

14. Your name is called and you go to the desk where your photograph is taken .

15 . You are told to sit and wait until your new 5 years driving licenses are ready .

16. Your name is called and you go over to the same desk where you had your photographs taken , you are given your new driving licenses and asked to check that the details are correct .

17. If the new driving licenses details are correct your are given them along with a written printed receipt for the money you have paid .

I did take with me a medical certificate that I got from a local doctor ( 50 Baht ) but I was not asked for any medical letter / certificate  or resident letter .  

I made the mistake of not doing my own passport photocopying before hand , thinking that I would use the photocopying machine at the driving license office , but that photocopying machine had broken down. 

• Thanks 1

RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE

Date 15 July 2559

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

9 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Last week I renewed both my 5 year Thai motorbike and car driving licenses at the Chock Chai driving license office out side of Korat 

What I needed / had to do ( this is only what I had to do at the Chock Chai driving license office and may vary at different driving license offices ) 

1. My original Passport

2. 2 photocopy’s  of my passport ( one separate photocopy required for each driving license renewal application )

3. Collect 2 separate forms one for each driving license renewal application , these forms are handed out by the counter staff .

4. Fill out the two driving license renewal application forms

5. Place the two completed forms with your original plastic driving licenses attached to each form , into an ‘’ in ‘’ tray on the counter , here the forms will be checked by the staff.

6. A member of staff shouts your name and hands you back the completed forms with the original plastic driving licenses  , and tells you to take the now approved forms upstairs to the test room.

7. At the door way next to the test room , on an unmanned desk was a large book here you write your name on the list in the book , laying next to this book on the desk is a metal tray containing every applicants completed driving license renewal application , here you drop into the tray your completed driving license renewal application with your original plastic driving licenses attached .

8. Sit and wait for the test staff to call the next batch of applicants into the test room.

9. Once you are in the test room your name will be called to do the following tests .

A. Eyesight colour test ( you look into a small viewing area and shout out what colour you see ) .

B. Break speed test ( here you put your foot on a dummy break pedal and hit the break when you see a red light in front of you ) 

10. After completing and passing the tests ( if you fail you will be given another chance ) you go into a large room and watch a road safety video ( English subtitles ) .

11. Once the video has finished you are told to go downstairs and wait for your name to be called by a member of the counter staff.

12. Your name is called and you pay the license renewal application fee

Car 5 years = 505 Baht
Motorcycle 5 year = 255 Baht.

13. After you have paid the money you are told to go over to the waiting area where the new driving licenses will be issued.

14. Your name is called and you go to the desk where your photograph is taken .

15 . You are told to sit and wait until your new 5 years driving licenses are ready .

16. Your name is called and you go over to the same desk where you had your photographs taken , you are given your new driving licenses and asked to check that the details are correct .

17. If the new driving licenses details are correct your are given them along with a written printed receipt for the money you have paid .

I did take with me a medical certificate that I got from a local doctor ( 50 Baht ) but I was not asked for any medical letter / certificate  or resident letter .  

I made the mistake of not doing my own passport photocopying before hand , thinking that I would use the photocopying machine at the driving license office , but that photocopying machine had broken down. 

Thank you. What did you use for proof of residency? Yellow Book, Thai ID card, Work Permit or Residency letter from immigration.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Thank you. What did you use for proof of residency? Yellow Book, Thai ID card, Work Permit or Residency letter from immigration.

I was not asked to show any documentation to confirm my home address / proof of residency , I suspect as my home address is all ready printed on the back of the driving license , this was sufficient to confirm where I live .

I did take with me my yellow house book ( I think its called some thing like Tor Law Sip Sam in Thai ) but I never showed it to any one at the driving license office .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

I was not asked to show any documentation to confirm my home address / proof of residency , I suspect as my home address is all ready printed on the back of the driving license , this was sufficient to confirm where I live .

I did take with me my yellow house book ( I think its called some thing like Tor Law Sip Sam in Thai ) but I never showed it to any one at the driving license office .

Thanks for your detailed report and just goes to prove how different the various DLTs are. In Pattaya just changing the passport no. on my licences I needed a residency certificate.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks for your detailed report and just goes to prove how different the various DLTs are. In Pattaya just changing the passport no. on my licences I needed a residency certificate.

Yes , I never know what to expect when getting involved at any Thai government place ????