Miserable Amount Of "french Fries "

eric1000

I had a very nice pepper steak , it arrived on an enormous plate with a smallish steak

seated in the middle, a few lousy vegatable and a miserable amount of fried chips .

there must have been 5-6 chips .

I cant figure out why Thai restuarants are so abstemious with their potatoes and chips.

Are man falangs so expensive that they cant dish up a sensible serving ?

Other eateries seem to have the problem solved , others appear to serve up a minimalist amount of chips.

These places are usually empty of customers , nobody goes back there again.

The owners cant seem to figure out why they have no customers .

They try to solve the problem by offering cheaper beer instead of serving a good portion

I would like to tell them but they may suffer loss of face ..

Potatoes are expensive in Thailand as they only grow around 500 hectares in Chaingmai. A couple restaurants sell french fries using fresh potatoes not frozen french fries that are imported. These restaurants that serve french fries using fresh potatoes always have a problem in October and November as the quality is low. Larry's Dive on Soi 22 uses fresh potatoes and a pretty good portion. For a big portion go to O'Brians between Soi 3/1 and Soi 5 on Sukhumvit Road. My wife Nui is a partner there.

www.sunbeltasia.com

:o Fish, chips and peas in th pig and whistle, Pattaya takes some beating.

The portions are very ample and cooked very well. Puts Harry Ramsdens to shame ( if you have heard of him)

Puts Harry Ramsdens to shame

imho it wouldn't take much to put the lard soaked ramsden chip to shame.

i used to be a frequent customer of the guiseley ramsden "flagship" branch.

these days almost any corner uk chippy can come up with a ramsden beater.

in bangkok the best chips i've had were in the seafood restaurant on soi 24, horrendously expensive food, but its good stuff. the chips were as good as any i've ever had, thick cut,not oily,crisply fried on the outside and just right on the inside.enormous portion too.

when i'm desperate for chips i get fries at mcdonalds, not a true chip i know and all chemical i'm sure, but they taste wonderful, and you are eating within 30 seconds of ordering. instant gratification.

Puts Harry Ramsdens to shame

imho it wouldn't take much to put the lard soaked ramsden chip to shame.

i used to be a frequent customer of the guiseley ramsden "flagship" branch.

these days almost any corner uk chippy can come up with a ramsden beater.

in bangkok the best chips i've had were in the seafood restaurant on soi 24, horrendously expensive food, but its good stuff. the chips were as good as any i've ever had, thick cut,not oily,crisply fried on the outside and just right on the inside.enormous portion too.

when i'm desperate for chips i get fries at mcdonalds, not a true chip i know and all chemical i'm sure, but they taste wonderful, and you are eating within 30 seconds of ordering. instant gratification.

To get the chips to the right consistency (as quoted) you need to fry twicw - first time slowly to cook through at a medium / high temperature, then a second time at a very high temperature for a few seconds only, to crispthe outside.

Then eat them the Belgian way, with a touch of mayonnaise, rather than HTK.

Also to soak them in salt water, then dry them off before frying, gives a better salty flavour.

:o In 1982, I was working in Luton, staying in an hotel. Macdonalds was comparitively new in the UK,so I tried it. That was the last time I ever went. For the life of me, I don't know how that business took off. Plastic everything and the chips! UGH!

You are dead right about cooking chips twice. The crisping up bit makes all the difference. Not a lot of people know that.

We still call 'em "freedom fries" in the states :o

Yeah, and the way McDonalds uses heart clogging beef tallow to fry them in, better to call them "freedom from heart function fries."

Actually, only the most extreme Bush supporters in the US actually call them freedom fries. The idea is to suggest that France is an enemy nation.

:o In 1982, I was working in Luton, staying in an hotel. Macdonalds was comparitively new in the UK,so I tried it. That was the last time I ever went. For the life of me, I don't know how that business took off. Plastic everything and the chips! UGH!

You are dead right about cooking chips twice. The crisping up bit makes all the difference. Not a lot of people know that.

Every Italian fish and chipshop owner in Soth Oz does this. Remember Jack's, across the road from Challa Gardens Pub Doc?

Right on,,Thai spuds are very good potatoes,,as good as I have ever seen and I have lived where good spuds are grown.

Two weeks ago we were in Chiang Mai at Big C and they had a lot of GIANT Thai potatoes,,big, and I saw no evidence of a shortage.

TAX, No Mc D french fries are made fresh then flash frozen at the Carnation plant in Moses Lake Washington at least they were when I was welding pipe in that country, and are made out of spuds that are grown there in Moses lake area.

For the life of me I cannot understand why farangs travel halfway (or more) across the globe to stay/visit LoS - and then want to eat chips and steak :D

I think perhaps a little more Thai food would be good for your health (and your waistline) :o

For the life of me I cannot understand why farangs travel halfway (or more) across the globe to stay/visit LoS - and then want to eat chips and steak  :D

If they travelled more than halfway across the globe to get to Thailand, then they probably headed off in the wrong direction. :o

Next time ask for a side dish of naam prik instead! Yum yum.

For the life of me I cannot understand why farangs travel halfway (or more) across the globe to stay/visit LoS - and then want to eat chips and steak :D

I think perhaps a little more Thai food would be good for your health (and your waistline) :o

they dont . eating hot and spicy thai food week in week out is fine , but once in a while a steak makes a change from chillies and lemon grass .

all that spicy stuff may give farangs the sh1ts as well , thais are used to it but farangs are not . If i have been travelling round issan for 3 weeks a steak is great ..

eating sticky rice and local delicacies is highly boring after a short while

think perhaps a little more Thai food would be good for your health

chicken,pig,beef......... are fed hormomes and antibiotics in vast amounts.

farmed fish.................likewise

farmed seafood...........likewise

fruit and vegetables.....grown using chemical fertilisers and other stuff to produce year round crops

little or no controls or standards on what is used here.

all the premium quality produce that is grown for foriegn use is controlled but gets exported.

we dont know what we are eating these days.

think perhaps a little more Thai food would be good for your health

chicken,pig,beef......... are fed hormomes and antibiotics in vast amounts.

farmed fish.................likewise

farmed seafood...........likewise

fruit and vegetables.....grown using chemical fertilisers and other stuff to produce year round crops

little or no controls or standards on what is used here.

all the premium quality produce that is grown for foriegn use is controlled but gets exported.

we dont know what we are eating these days.

Oh Taxexile So true so true and the chemicals used to give the meat and produce that oh so fresh look in the market without refrigeration sure looks delicous and good for you-NOT

buy organic :o

When working in Hong Kong I always washed and sterilised the veg. before cooking. They mostly came from just over the border and were grown in human ordure as fertiliser. Several deaths a year (Chinese as well as Gwailo).

And eating rice gives far more of a pot-belly after a few years than do spuds or pasta. Us farangs ain't got the system for it. May Thais have problems digesting cheese. Just depends on your inherited upbringing.

Generally in Thailand they don't know how to cook good chips.As for all the big USA chains there I have never had such poor quality fries usually served stale and tepid at best.When you send them back they look at you with disbelief.I rarely eat at any of them now.

I find Kiss Pattaya does a reasonable portion at 35b.

I am back in the UK at the moment after spending 6 months in Isaan.Eating Thai food nearly exclusively;I lost nearly 18 kilos! and feel ten years younger.